JFK to Athens; Return Lisbon to JFK

Old Oct 19, 05, 7:50 am
Original Poster

JFK to Athens; Return Lisbon to JFK

I will be taking a cruise next October. I looking to get the most American miles. I am a Platinum member and would also like for most of the trip to be in business. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 19, 05, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
What kind of advice would you like? Book on AA.com, try AA Vacations for the cruise.
Old Oct 19, 05, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Cruise is booked. Just want the most AA miles on the flights. Would it be better t o AA to LHR and then swithch to BA, or ?
Old Oct 19, 05, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
If you want the longest, do a RTW with an open ATH-LIS and add in some extra segments.
Old Oct 19, 05, 9:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well why not just fly via Asia in business class both ways?
Old Oct 19, 05, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the OP-- you're looking for advice and help-- try being specific and give some details about what, exactly, you are trying to do. Right now it's like a 1/4 filled in jigsaw-puzzle. That's no way to ask for guidance-- by making people play charades first.

If you're -paying- for business class, there are a LOT of interesting possibilities. Most especially, buying a business class ticket ex-LIS for the return.

But again, until you put the time in and describe exactly what you want to do/spend, there's no way anyone can help in a meaningful way.
Old Oct 20, 05, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Sorry for lack of details. Here I think is everything:

I wish to purchase discounted coach tickets. I will be leaving Jfk to Athens about Sept. 27, 2006. I will then be on a cruise until October 15, 2006. My return flight will be Lisbon to JFK. My original question, was is there any best way to route this trip to maximize miles. I am not looking to go out of my way. Some of the possibilities I saw were routed through LHR or Zurich. Sorry if I did not present it clearly.
Old Oct 20, 05, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by rstidolph
Sorry for lack of details. Here I think is everything:

I wish to purchase discounted coach tickets. I will be leaving Jfk to Athens about Sept. 27, 2006. I will then be on a cruise until October 15, 2006. My return flight will be Lisbon to JFK. My original question, was is there any best way to route this trip to maximize miles. I am not looking to go out of my way. Some of the possibilities I saw were routed through LHR or Zurich. Sorry if I did not present it clearly.
on a discount coach fare, your options are pretty limited. you'll want AA codings wherever possible. BA coded flights will net you only 25% redeemable miles (125 minimum redeemable miles, but 500 minimum q-miles and q-points, however). IB is 30%. EI is 0%.
Old Oct 20, 05, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My original question, was is there any best way to route this trip to maximize miles. I am not looking to go out of my way.
If you're not looking to go out of your way, then there really isn't a lot you can do to "maximize" miles. The difference between which connecting city you choose (e.g., LHR, ZRH, MAD, DUB, BRU assuming there is even one-stop service via those cities) will be only about a hundred extra miles each way. Unless you're on the cusp of a (next) elite level, it probably won't make much of a difference and you're probably best off picking the most convenient flight times (e.g., via MAD you'd have a long layover since the only flight MAD-ATH is in the evening -- but of course on this routing you'd probably get screwed on AA miles on the Iberia transatlantic flight).

Actually, it looks like routing via HEL would give you the most miles (about 600 more than the other cities o/w) and I think there's a once-weekly flight HEL-ATH.
Old Oct 23, 05, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Won't I get double miles (I'm Platinum) for the BA flight from LHR to Athens? I recently had a Vienna to LHR on BA and got doublr miles.
Old Oct 23, 05, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. Won't I get double miles (I'm Platinum) for the BA flight from LHR to Athens? I recently had a Vienna to LHR on BA and got doublr miles.
You receive the 100% Plt bonus miles on any elite-qualifying flight. That means all OneWorld carriers plus Alaska.

Search this Thread