1.5 hr. Is that enough time for international transfer?

Old Sep 12, 05, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

1.5 hr. Is that enough time for international transfer?

I will be flying to Asia on AA. On the return flight, I am scheduled to arrive in Chicago and connect to another AA flight to Philadelphia. Total connection time is 1.5 hours, is that enough time to clear customs, pick up my bags, re-deposit my bags, and get to the domestic gate? A little nervous as the connecting flight is pretty late, so if I miss my connection I may have to shell out for a hotel night.
Old Sep 12, 05, 3:24 pm

I hope it is!
I'm on a dfw zrh tlv with a 1:20 connection.
Old Sep 12, 05, 3:26 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have AA Status? If so there is an elite security line located to teh left of the Main H/K security line. The elite line is located between the HK and the L security lines. That will save quite a bit of time.

What time of day are you arriving? Are you a US citizen? We'd need to know these answer before giving you advice on a 90 minute transfer.

Last edited by HNL; Sep 12, 05 at 3:29 pm
Old Sep 12, 05, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by elimuli
I hope it is!
I'm on a dfw zrh tlv with a 1:20 connection.
Apples and oranges.
Old Sep 12, 05, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
Doe you have AA Status? If so there is an elite security line located to teh left of the Main H/K security line. The elite line is located between the HK and the L security lines. That will save quite a bit of time.

What time of day are you arriving? Are you a US citizen? We'd need to know these answer before giving you advice on a 90 minute transfer.
Arriving around 6 pm, GC holder, No AA status (I am crediting the miles to CX).
I just found out that my outbound connection is also 1.5 hours. But since I don't have to clear customs for the outbound, I am not as nervous.
Old Sep 12, 05, 3:55 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6 pm is a fairly busy time as there are still some European flights arriving but you should be ok if you are able to use the US immigration lines.

If you have to the use the lines on the other side of the hall - I would be worried. The process of the photo and print taking slows things down.

Once you clear Customs & Immigration, and re-check your bags for the connection, you will proceed upstairs to catch a mono-rail type train that will take you from terminal 5 to terminal 3. The ride takes about 3 minutes, and I think they run every 5 minutes or so.

The TSA security lines will be about 20 minutes. I will seem like there are a lot of people, but the lines seem to move fairly quickly.

There is another security line at the end of terminal 3 - the FAR right end of the terminal that puts you out by the G concourse. There was a time when this was little used and you could count on short lines. Sadly AA has moved some check-in closer to here, so more people use it now.

You will have plenty of time on the domestic->international to make your connection. You will NOT have to clear security again.
Old Sep 12, 05, 3:58 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Originally Posted by PCheng
Arriving around 6 pm, GC holder, No AA status (I am crediting the miles to CX).
I just found out that my outbound connection is also 1.5 hours. But since I don't have to clear customs for the outbound, I am not as nervous.
I would not stop for the bathroom, if I were you, but you should make it without much stress.

You deplane, and take the long walk to immigration. Be sure to get on the faster US Citizen line.

Collect baggage, and proceed to customs. If you unlucky and get selected for screening, it could suck pretty bad. If you are lucky, they will wave you on through the doors. Hand your checked luggage back to the AA agents waiting on the other side.

Exit the second set of doors, go up the stairs, and board the terminal train to terminal #3.

Exit train at terminal 3. Go up the escalator. There, a land bridge runs between the parking lot, and the departures area. Cross the bridge, and go down the escalator to depatures.

Using your onward boarding pass (which you should already have), use security just to your left. If that line is very long, walk ALL THE WAY DOWN on the left to the delta airlines security area. That line is always short at the hour in question.

Clear security, and most likely go right (might not be the case) to the correct concourse.

Good luck
Old Sep 12, 05, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM
this summer i flew aa dub-ord-dtw. mid afternoon during the week i made it to my departure gate in about 1 hour and 10 minutes. my bags were slow to come out. customs was a breeze and re-depositing was not long at all. as Val mentioned, security may be an issue. it took me maybe 15-20 minutes to get through.

not sure if this helps.
Old Sep 12, 05, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
The official minimum connecting time is 90 minutes, which you have. This allows for (a) possibly sitting in the back of the plane; (b) going through the non-US-citizen/resident immigration lines, which are longer; (c) waiting for checked bags; and (d) going through the regular security lines in T3. If you can avoid two or more of these, you'll be absolutely fine. Avoid one of them and you will be less absolutely fine. Have them all and you should still be OK, but that will then start to depend on time of day and the other usual factors.

I booked a 1:22 connection from NRT in June. After aa.com sold it to me, I got a call that it was too short and I'd have to take a later flight to BOS. Naturally, I got to the gate of the earlier flight 45 minutes before it left - all of (a) through (d) were in my favor - but by then it had so many standbys they had closed the list. To make things worse, the flight they made me book instead was cancelled, etc., etc... I wrote a letter of complaint and got 5,000 miles, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Bottom line: book it, don't worry, but write down the next flight or two to PHL just in case so you'll know what gate to head for if things don't work out.
Old Sep 12, 05, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I've done 1 hr 15 min, including baggage claim, with time to spare to go to the AC....but since the showers were full when I arrived, there was not enough time for a shower....which was a slight shame since I did not have time for a shower during my 1 hr 35 min connection at LHR (ok, I could probably could have tried there, but I wasn't sure how far the gate was from the Flag Ship lounge).
Old Sep 12, 05, 5:13 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Unfortunately the 8:15pm ORD-PHL departure is the last of the day (using today's schedules). Since you are getting in at about 6pm, I'm assuming this is your flight.

That makes it all the more imperative that you get off the plane and through all the obstacles.

Where are you sitting on the plane? Way way back in coach of a full flight will add to the deplaning time (and your frustrations).

The only 'good' part of this situation is that your international flight will probably arrive on time (or early) as you will have lots of hours in the air to make up time. The PHL flight might be late after a long day of delays in Chicago ... that could be your saving grace!

Personally I like closer to two hours to deplane, immigration, luggage, recheck (with TSA hastles), travel to terminal, security and run to gate.

Will your bags make it? I would not plan on it.

Will YOU make the flight?? 50/50!
Old Sep 12, 05, 5:40 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
We flew LHR-ORD-SAN on AA a couple of weeks ago. From the time the doors opened on the aircraft at ORD to us getting to our domestic gate took 1:15. There was a very long line for US arrivals in immigration, but that didn't matter as we still had to wait for our slow arriving bags to make it to the belt. We did use the G concourse security (thanks FT!), and there was no wait while the wait for the other security line looked to be about 15-20 minutes.
Old Sep 12, 05, 5:56 pm

Fyi

When I came back from Israel to make the conenction to my SJC flight at JFK I decided to time it although I had 6 hours to spare and my El Al Flight was delayed which was good in a way so I would not wait too long at JFk. I timed it just for the heck of it. I set my stopwatch and off I went. From the aircraft in Terminal 3 to customs took 5 minutes. I actually ran so that I would beat the rest of the flight. Getting through customs only took 5 minutes. Getting my bag another 15 minutes. Checking my bag to SJC 5 minutes and going from the bag recheck to my next gate 15 minutes. So roughly it took and hour. I found that by running to customs is a good way as it will actually wake you up and will cut down in the customs line.

In Israel from the plane to the public area took 40 minutes. Since I knew the old terminal I went into my own line as opposed to the longer group line. Also I did not want the leader to have my passport. It saved me loads of time and they did not ask many questions.

So yea I would allow 3 hours-5 hours from International-Domestic and 2-3 hours for Domestic-Internatonal since the plane could be delayed.
Old Sep 12, 05, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I wouldn't sweat it. You'll make it.
Old Sep 12, 05, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
When I came back from Israel to make the conenction to my SJC flight at JFK...
Different connecting airport. Not relevant.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: