Need some help with availability tool

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Question Need some help with availability tool

Hi,
I'm on a flight that reads
J0 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 W7 G7 V7 L7 S7 N7 Q1 O0
but when I call the Airline they say the flight is overbooked.

eli
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
What flight? What date?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by elimuli
Hi,
I'm on a flight that reads
J0 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 W7 G7 V7 L7 S7 N7 Q1 O0
but when I call the Airline they say the flight is overbooked.

eli
Those numbers are the difference between the number of seats sold and the number authorized to sell. Furthermore, they won't ever read any higher than 7 if you're dealing with AA. For instance, a 100 seat airplane may be authorized to sell 110 seats. At 101 seats sold, you'll still see Y7 or whatever letter because there are 9 seats still left to sell. At 105 seats sold, you will see Y5. The airline may not offer as many seats for sale in certain inventories as others which explains why you see Q1, but the other letters have 7's except for O. So, just because the flight is oversold does not mean that the airline won't sell more seats. There's a whole staff of people and computers that sit around and figure this stuff out based on trends and history of the flight. I've seen 757's booked to well over 200 (a 188 seat jet, I think) leave with numerous empty seats due to no-shows. Some markets are worse than others for a high no-show factor.

Hopefully I didn't get that too messed up!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:46 am

Programs: FB-Gold; AA-Gold
Revenue Mgmt

Flyastrojets has it correct. In fact, when I worked the gate at JFK over 10 years, on the Santo Domingo, DR flights on Airbus that held something like 300, AA would overbook to something like 700. The whole summer I worked there we must have had 1 or 2 oversold flights.

AA runs a big data warehouse where they can predict quite accurately by what factor a certain flight on certain day can be overbooked but not oversold. ( I suspect other airlines must do the same thing.)
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:57 pm
kjh

Is the Availability Tool actual back up and running? I still keep getting error messages when I try to use it (connect) ... I have version 1.64 installed.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:46 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjh
Is the Availability Tool actual back up and running? I still keep getting error messages when I try to use it (connect) ... I have version 1.64 installed.
The Smiley67 Availability Tool 1.64 is long gone (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...68#post3738968)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.