Window Shades Transatlantic

 
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, Texas USA
Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,893
Window Shades Transatlantic

I poked around in Search, couple of similar but nothing too close so here goes.

I was in paid FC on #51 from LGW to DFW yesterday. It was a beautiful day over the north Atlantic and gazing out the window is somehow relaxing, reassuring and peaceful for me.

It was FS configuration so of course everyone had personal screens and it was a distance from my seat to the aisle seat. FS seats have 3 windows and I have no obection to one or possibly even two of them being closed. The FA came up and closed mine for me. I re-opend one of them. She (typical senior AA Intl old crow) said I would have to close it. I said "Why, I am looking out of it" she informed me it was similar to "strobe light" in the cabin. (It was a clear day but there was no direct sunlight blasting through me windows)

My thoughts are these:
1. Whoever sits by the window decides, within reason of course and if eveyone was watching a central screen it might be different.
2. Why do they put eye shades in the amenity kit?
3. BEST of ALL, yesterday's London times has a full page AA ad showing the great time that can be had looking out at the sky, transatlantic specifically, followed of course by everyone's favorite line....WE KNOW WHY YOU FLY.

Anyone had similar experiences? Thanks,
bbkenney is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:41 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,292
I have no recent AA experience, but I recently flew QF from SIN-LHR on the flight at 05:35 which is a daytime flight. After 5 hours I opened my window shade and when a cabin crew came round I said that I had chosen the seat since I wanted to look out the window and also that I had chosen a day flight for the same reason. I had a v similar situation on BA on CAI-LHR on an 08:30 departure and when a cabin crew member closed the shade I told him to reopen it which he then did

I object to cabin crew trying to turn day flights into night flights

Dave
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
Here's a few threads that discuss window shade position, though they are not AA specific:

Window Blind Etiquette and Practice

Anyone else argue with FAs over closing window shades?

Testy FA and Passenger on TA Flight

Inconsistent policies regarding window shades...

And from the AA forum:

Aisle sitter closing window shade?

A FA tells it like it is...

Window shade etiquette--what should I have done?

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Sep 9, 2005 at 9:03 am Reason: to fix the links - grrrr - again
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:01 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
And lest we forget, here's an oldie but goodie from our very own AA forum:
Open window shade vs. Closed window shade
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:03 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 650
I agree that one should have the ability to keep the shades open. I just returned from an AA transatlantic flight in C. As I was reading, the FA asked (nicely) for me to close the one window shade I had open. I explained (truly) that I have bad eyes and need LOTS of light for reading. The FA shrugged and went on.
observer is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Posts: 1,371
I think if you sit in a certain seat you have every right to open the window at that seat. However, it is pretty inconsiderate to open it during a daytime flight. Not everyone can sleep with the eye shades. I personally find them very uncomfortable.
chsb is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:33 am
  #7  
JS
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: GSP (Greenville, SC)
Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Posts: 13,393
Originally Posted by chsb
I think if you sit in a certain seat you have every right to open the window at that seat. However, it is pretty inconsiderate to open it during a daytime flight. Not everyone can sleep with the eye shades. I personally find them very uncomfortable.
Too bad. I can't see out the window at all if the window shade is closed.

It does seem that AA flight attendants are more piggish about the window shades. One time a flight attendant even closed my window shade on a nighttime flight (after she left, I opened it). Criminy, are the stars really that bright?
JS is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:40 am
  #8  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Always on vacation
Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Posts: 6,007
I find that I go to sleep when tired and do not go to sleep when not tired.

Have found over the years it matters not whether it is light or not.
magic111 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:42 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Posts: 4,235
Originally Posted by chsb
I think if you sit in a certain seat you have every right to open the window at that seat. However, it is pretty inconsiderate to open it during a daytime flight. Not everyone can sleep with the eye shades. I personally find them very uncomfortable.

I disagree with that.... I want it open specifically on daytime flights because I am awake and don't want to be sitting in the dark.
FlyAO2 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LI, NY
Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Posts: 2,677
Originally Posted by JS
It does seem that AA flight attendants are more piggish about the window shades.
I think the CX FA's are worse. Keeping shades closed if any part of the total flight time will be in darkness is borderline paranoia for them.
inlanikai is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bos
Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Posts: 438
The most considerate - and common sense thing to do is to ask your seatmate(s) if it bothers them if the shade is open during a daytime flight, especially if they're trying to watch the movie. One person does not "own" the shade, and should not be treated as such without checking with your seatmates.
Caloy is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:38 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, Texas USA
Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,893
Originally Posted by Caloy
The most considerate - and common sense thing to do is to ask your seatmate(s) if it bothers them if the shade is open during a daytime flight, especially if they're trying to watch the movie. One person does not "own" the shade, and should not be treated as such without checking with your seatmates.
Please read the OP. It was a FS aircraft in first. Should I have taken a poll of the whole cabin?
bbkenney is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:28 am
  #13  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,245
Many years ago when I was doing regular transcons in F, a wise FA taught me that the best window shade etiquette was to pull them down half way. Lets in enough light to read and allows enough room to peer out. Also provides enough darkness for those bats who feel the need to sleep at noon.

Regarding overnight flights to LGW (the reverse of the OP), I always like to open the shade when the sun comes up to watch the sunrise. Also, the light helps my body clock reset. As I was taught, I always start half way until others have opened theirs.
dayone is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:28 pm
  #14  
cxn
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Home
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by chsb
I think if you sit in a certain seat you have every right to open the window at that seat. However, it is pretty inconsiderate to open it during a daytime flight. Not everyone can sleep with the eye shades. I personally find them very uncomfortable.
You are correct, the AA, QF and CX eye shades are very uncomfortable. But, the BA are a dream. I have a couple of them tucked away which I use on all my flights. They are the only ones I can use without getting a headache. I was thinking, does anyone know where one can buy them while on my last QF F flight.
cxn is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: A Southern locale that ain't the South.
Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Posts: 8,013
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Please read the OP. It was a FS aircraft in first. Should I have taken a poll of the whole cabin?
I sleep on the westbound, particularly as due to connection timing I typically don't get back home until 11:30 PM. That's just too long a day. I greatly prefer a darkened cabin and of all the westbound F flights I've taken have only once encountered someone who insisted on having the window all the way open. Eight others in the cabin wished to sleep and four of us politely asked the pax to lower her shade. She was astonishingly rude about it and bordered on verbal assault when asked by an FA to lower the shade.

IMO Dayone's compromise is best. It limits the amount of light that enters the cabin yet allows the passenger to see outside and/or have reading light. To those who say "It's MY seat and I'll do as I please"... maybe it's just me but I am mindful of the fact that even though I'm in first others are in the cabin as well. I act accordingly and 99% of the people I come across in my travels do the same. Perhaps I'm just lucky but it definitely makes the process more pleasant.
kanebear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.