Priority Order for getting bumped up on International Flight?

Old Aug 28, 05, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Priority Order for getting bumped up on International Flight?

I got a nice surprise today when was about to board my LAX-LHR flight - I got handed a new boarding pass and it was for Business Class! This was the first time I got to travel in Business Class on an international flight and it was a great experience =). Anyways, I was wondering how AA determines who to bump up on an oversold flight? I'm only PLT so I'm assuming all EXP's got upgraded, but how do they determine which PLTs get upgraded?
Old Aug 28, 05, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by araknis
how do they determine which PLTs get upgraded?
Fare paid, usually.
Old Aug 28, 05, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Also, you're a lot more likely to be bumped up when you are traveling alone.
Old Aug 31, 05, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
In theory: by elite level, within a level by fare paid, within a fare (if another tie-breaker is needed) by check-in time.

In practice: by elite level, then somewhat random based in part on who's easy to find and perhaps who smiles nicely or at least isn't obnoxious.

I've gotten op-ups when flying alone several times, most recently two weeks ago NRT-SJC (when it was most welcome; thanks, AA). Only once did I get one when flying with a (non-elite) companion. I was given the op-up and said "I'm with X." The agent sighed and upgraded X. On another occasion Y was not upgraded, so I turned mine down.
Old Aug 31, 05, 6:32 pm

My last op-ups were ORD-NGO and NGO-ORD (bought the promo Q fare) last spring and at that time there were two of us and was only a gold. It was a nice surprise indeed and I even used the AC facility with the J boarding pass. I am sure at that time there must be some higher status
than we are, but at that time they (AA) was calling a lot of people o see the gate agent(to get upgraded I supposed).
Old Aug 31, 05, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA Blue
Got upgraded to Europe ORD-CDG on the plane on a rebooked Y fare. (Missed my connection and was rebooked into Y inventory the next day). At the gate asked to be upgraded, told no and then boarded the plane. Once onboard, the GA came on and handed me my new Business boarding pass. I didn't even have status at that point.

Last edited by sonof1K; Aug 31, 05 at 7:45 pm Reason: add info
Old Aug 31, 05, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by sonof1K
Got upgraded to Europe ORD-CDG on the plane on a rebooked Y fare. (Missed my connection and was rebooked into Y inventory the next day). At the gate asked to be upgraded, told no and then boarded the plane. Once onboard, the GA came on and handed me my new Business boarding pass. I didn't even have status at that point.
I have to ask this... How did you "ask" to be upgraded? did you just say "hi, i want an upgrade?!" It's been my experience that people hunting for the op-up are the least likely to get it... Unless they hunt smartly by having status and booking a full flight, knowing op-ups are likely.
Old Aug 31, 05, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (4.4M), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Global Entry, Trusted Traveler
Asking insn't hard....

All you have to say is, "you know, if you need to clear some space in coach, I am willing to take a first class seat - to help you out." This should be accompanied by your best winning smile.

It works amazingly often, even before I made it to EXP.
Old Sep 1, 05, 7:59 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Not sure about that

I have travelled over 100 times LHR - ORD and have only been bumped once (J-->F on milage upgrade, which was suprising as I heard they almost never roll you forward on an award). I was travelling alone on all but 2 of those times.... Make of it what you will, but my empirical data does not back this assertion up. I know some others in our company who were bumped the first time they travelled, no status, and I was in the back of the bus, EXP. Go figure....

- Tim
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
Also, you're a lot more likely to be bumped up when you are traveling alone.
Old Sep 1, 05, 9:50 am
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Originally Posted by jimorr67
It works amazingly often, even before I made it to EXP.

Uh..... yeah.
Old Sep 1, 05, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Val
Uh..... yeah.
Old Sep 1, 05, 10:46 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The proper phrase (I was told this by a Flagship staffer) .. is to ask 'do you need to roll over any seats?'

While rollover can mean Y to J or J to P .. you are not being specific. You are using the 'person in knowledge' phrase. AND you are not using the whiny phrase 'upgrade' that everyone knows!

THEN if they bite, thinking 'hmm this person knows about roll over and yes we have overbooked coach' .. they will possibly ask for your boarding pass. If you are in J .. they may say 'yes but J has enough room' which will mean no J to P moves.

I have tried flashing my boarding pass and my EXP card during this conversation .. but then they see I am in J already (most of the time eVIP) .. so this method does not seem to work. [YEARS ago when it was only AAdvantage and Gold .. this worked well as the Gold card was somewhat rare ... and was not printed on the boarding pass.. but no more!]
Old Sep 1, 05, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Priority Club Platinum
Yes, hanging around the counter making sure that you are readily available to help them solve their overbooking problems works. I've had 4 op-ups so far this year including one of those MOST-coveted Double-Ups.
Old Sep 1, 05, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timfountain
I have travelled over 100 times LHR - ORD and have only been bumped once (J-->F on milage upgrade, which was suprising as I heard they almost never roll you forward on an award). I was travelling alone on all but 2 of those times.... Make of it what you will, but my empirical data does not back this assertion up. I know some others in our company who were bumped the first time they travelled, no status, and I was in the back of the bus, EXP. Go figure....

- Tim
Well, I imagine that if they need to accomodate 2 pax travelling together in Y with no seat assignments, then they'll probably choose 2 elites/high fares in Y to roll to J. It probably doesn't help them often to roll forward a single traveler.
Old Sep 1, 05, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by EMagination
Yes, hanging around the counter making sure that you are readily available to help them solve their overbooking problems works. I've had 4 op-ups so far this year including one of those MOST-coveted Double-Ups.
I was wondering if double-ups happen. I was flying on a fairly discounted paid J to F (as plat) on LHR-JFK a few weeks ago, and I assumed that it was sort of a domino effect - Y oversold so bump somebody to J, and in turn you have to bump a J to F. But I guess it is possible that J was the source of the overselling, although I would still think they would have found someone to upgrade on a higher fare than mine.

I got the upgrade at the gate, by the way, right after the guy in front of me got the same. I think perhaps it was just right-place-at-the-right-time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: