Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy AA itinerary horror

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, AA PLT, Frontier Summit, Avis Pref Select, National Executive
Crazy AA itinerary horror

So I had a reservation from DEN - STL - JAX last week, departing DEN at 4:00PM with about a 45 minute layover in St. Louis. It was basically the last route to JAX that night.

I arrived to the DEN AA kiosk at about 2:40 PM - normally PLENTY of time to get to C councourse and to gate well before boarding. I swipe CC at Kiosk, and am warmly greeted "Please wait while we retirieve your itinerary"

Screen flickers and displays: "DEN - DFW at 3:08 PM. Is this correct?"

Um - NO - that is NOT correct.

So I have to wait 5 minutes for a ticket agent to explain to me that the DEN - STL flight was delayed so they rerouted me through DFW. Hello? Anyone at AA have a telephone? My number is on record! Could somebody have let me know?

OK, so gate agent runs through options - not with an expression of "oh, no problem"; but rather "you're SOL".

"OK", she says, "you'll get on this other flight to DFW at 3:50. It lands at 6:49 at gate C12. You're next plane is at gate C15. It leaves at 7:10". I asked her to put me in first since my original flight was "Y" class thru STL. She did that without blinking since "you'll be the first off the plane".

At this point I ask her if she could put me in 1st from DFW to JAX. "But you only had a coach ticket" she says. Yes, but it is "Y" class, I replied. Finally, she agreed.

So off we fly to DFW, land on time, only to sit on tarmac for 45 minutes due to weather. Turns out connection is delayed leaving to JAX for same reason.

Made it to JAX 2 hours late - but I made it. I just with AA had called me w/ the reschedule. I would have been to the airport earlier...
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It seems to me that AA did pretty well by you. They can't call everytime a delayed flight could cause a misconnect. And even if they did call, what could they have done differently (although I do admit it's nice to know in advance of these types of situations)? Getting to JAX two hours late and sitting in F the whole way sure does beat taking a delayed flight to STL and then having to overnight because you missed the last connection to JAX.

Edited to add: And don't you think the title to this thread is a little hyperbolic?

Last edited by Blumie; Aug 22, 2005 at 12:24 pm
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
A call definately would have been nice, but it does sound like AA tried to be proactive here.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
Hey - I'm envious that they got you on a flight. I got to LGA last Monday for a 8am flight to ORD only to find chaos, and that my flight had been cancelled and they hadn't let me know! They had put me on a 7pm which was better than most people who were put on the 9:15!

(In the end, the folks at the Admiral's Club were heroic, got me high enough on the standby list that I managed to get a seat on the 9am, which finally left the airport around 2pm...)
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, AA PLT, Frontier Summit, Avis Pref Select, National Executive
Yeah - I do think they did their best. The most frazzling part of the trip was everything was down to the wire - I mean, not a minute to waste.

Whether or not they can call every passenger with a reroute is up for discussion. Certainly, they could implement some automated alerts of some fashion. Fire off an email or text message if THEY initiate a change. Something like that.

Like I said - I made it to JAX. Thanks AA.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And the good news is... you advocated for yourself, they did the right thing (even if with an attitude that didn't please you,) you made it - and the really good news is you aren't flying nwa.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
I always sign up for automatic flight notification by email to my Blackberry, which works about 80% of the time.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by sonora
I always sign up for automatic flight notification by email to my Blackberry, which works about 80% of the time.
Great idea! @:-) I should do the same. I'm sure that is much cheaper for AA than calling every passenger.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prboricua
Certainly, they could implement some automated alerts of some fashion. Fire off an email or text message if THEY initiate a change. Something like that.
So, as noted above, they have implemented this, it's been in place for quite a while, and works reasonably well. It's up to the pax to actually sign up their flights for the free service...but it is there.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brp
So, as noted above, they have implemented this, it's been in place for quite a while, and works reasonably well. It's up to the pax to actually sign up their flights for the free service...but it is there.

Cheers.
I agree. You should always sign up for flight notification unless you plan to do as AA suggests - arrive at the airport 2 hours early.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Plato90s
I agree. You should always sign up for flight notification unless you plan to do as AA suggests - arrive at the airport 2 hours early.
bwahaha...you didn't do the [clown hat on] [clown hat off] thing here. Arrive two early, That's rich.

(Disclaimer: poking fun at the "two hours early" concept, not the poster, and treating it as a joke.)

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Ex-EXP) .7MM, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Would be nice if you could just put it in your profile that you want the notification every time. I guess it isn't really all that much of a hassle to sign up for it though.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Flight notification is great, but doesn't do any good far in advance when the flight is cancelled, or when AA reroutes you last minute. Several times I've been rerouted and received notifications for the original flight I was scheduled to take.

If AA could tie flight notifications to a PNR, it'd be great. ^ No more logging onto AA.com to create notifications or delete/change old ones. It would also be nice if AA developed a mobile website for cellphones where you could check flight status, schedules and reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.