Wiki Posts
Search

AA Deals - SE Asia and South America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

AA Deals - SE Asia and South America

Hi,
I need to travel from nyc to bangkok and from nyc to santiago on AA (or oneworld) in september, does anyone have any routing ideas to keep the cost down and earn the most amount of miles possible? (MR)

Thank you.

Z
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:41 pm

is canada an option?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, AA 2M Miles (Llifetime Platinum)
Look into Lan Chile. They are a member on OW and their service is excellent. They have flights to Santiago via Lima. I don not think they have any direct flights. Good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Try this for NYC-BKK (dates are arbitrary):

1 Connection
AA 167 0 JFK
09/15/05 11:40AM NRT
09/16/05 02:30PM 777 LD
AA 7287 0 NRT
09/16/05 06:55PM BKK
09/16/05 11:25PM 744 M

1 Connection
AA 7286 0 BKK
09/22/05 08:35AM NRT
09/22/05 04:35PM 744 M
AA 168 0 NRT
09/22/05 05:55PM JFK
09/22/05 05:30PM 777 DB

The connection in NRT<->BKK is on JL, I think. I have done this many times but connecting to SIN (on AA codeshare with JL) with roughly the same timings.

Another way is to take the afternoon n/s on CX to HKG and connect with the last flight of the day to BKK. Gets you into BKK at about the same time as going through NRT on AA167. Not a bad way to go but you can't upgrade using VIPs or miles (if that is your desire) since it is not on AA metal. Also, if you come back through HKG on CX from BKK you have to take CX888 (or the AA codeshare) which is a 1-stop through YVR and gets into to JFK in middle of the evening. In that case, going through NRT and onto AA168 is the much better choice, IMO, from a time/hassle point of view.

Edited to add: If your doing this for a cheap MR, then the CX option is probably not best as the cheapest coach fare booked as a CX flight number will not earn AA miles. If you book the CX flight as an AA codeshare your cheapest tix will earn you AA miles but it might not be so cheap compared to the AA metal routing through NRT. Try both routings and see. It will also depend on the actual dates you fly and fare buckets available on that day. (Who said this was easy?)

Last edited by inlanikai; Aug 3, 2005 at 7:34 am
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
If you decide to connect through NRT, make sure your JL flight is AA coded to get full mileage.

If you decide to use CX, make sure it's either all AA coded or the CX flights are H fare or better in order to get AA miles.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
How about a RTW?

If you're going to be in Asia for ten days, you could buy a OneWorld Explorer RTW and save money and build your miles, especially if you do some back and forth to HKG on CX. Assuming that you flew out to BKK on the CX options others have outlined, you could fly back home via BA to LON and then AA to the states or, to get the additional stopover I think you'll need for the RTW, fly back from BKK to HKG on CX and then take either CX or BA to LON, etc. If you really want the miles, fly CX to NRT via HKG and then BA back to LON, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.