Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines, I am so proud of you!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Pickles
Very interesting comment. I went to college with a guy named Simson N. Garfinkel. He wrote for the school newspaper, and he was the most annoying, irritating, exasperating flame-bait SOB ever. Major geek, to boot. But everybody read Simon N. Garfunkel's columns, and he was a frequent topic of conversation.

Eventually SNG moved on and is now a fairly well known columnist and writer in the hi-tech biz world. And he's toned down his annoying ways once he grew up a little. I hear Hillary Clinton and Al Gore were the same way. Some may say they still are.
And, of course, CMD's threads are a great opportunity to catch up on Smidgen. How's his summer been?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA
Well it had been a few weeks since Charles started a thread so we were all thirsty for more. Note how he always puts an icon with the thread title so that it is easier to locate a CMD thread to respond to.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Blumie
And, of course, CMD's threads are a great opportunity to catch up on Smidgen. How's his summer been?
He is not a big fan of summer. We usually give him a summer trim, but it apparently is not enough. He spends much of the summer spread eagled in the tub, with his tongue sticking out. When he was smaller, he would always climb into the fridge if it was open. We disabused him of that notion by closing the door on him and leaving him to cool a bit. The other trick we used to have him not climb up on the dining room table was to spray him with water from a squirt bottle, but he actually likes that, so that didn't work. We eventually taught him to sit on the chair and put his paws on the table, instead of climbing. We also taught him to high-five (high-six, actually, since he has six fingers on each paw) in exchange for bits of gorgonzola cheese, which he loves.

He tells me his job at the EXP desk is going fine, which he answers with "EXP desk, Smidgen, can I help you". This has led to problems, since he was somehow flagged as being from Indonesia (because of the no last name), even though he's from Poland Springs, ME, so he is now on the no-fly list. But that's OK. After he read about the woman's dog that died on Continental, he has sworn off flying, although he did enjoy his time as a USAir pilot.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pushpak
I pity you fools!! Is there anyone else in the entire flyertalk universe that doesn't know that AA is one of 4 official US flag carriers, along with America West, US Airways and Pan American?

Trivia buffs will be interested to note that despite repeated runs at the coveted designation, ATA (aka Amtran) has been denied American flag carrier status because of the unfortunate abbreviation. It is believed that ATA has applied for somewhat less coveted Indian flag carrier status based on its origins in Indianapolis, but the application is awaiting the start of its (amazingly profitable, all-J) SJC-BLR non-stop.

Pushpak
What about United (States of America)? Hey, the "big two" could merge and we'd have the United States of American Airlines.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:27 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Arrow

I think you thread-hijackers are a danger to the security of FlyerTalk.

Someone, quick, we need to form a new TSA. The Thread Security Administration.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
But keep in mind that AA is partly made up of Trans-World Airlines. "Trans-World" sounds very U.N.-ish, almost "I wanna give the whole world a hug"-ish, and is therefore Unpatriotic(tm). Therefore, American cannot be the national flag carrier.

I nominate Hooters Air. What's more American than that?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Originally Posted by Pushpak
I pity you fools!! Is there anyone else in the entire flyertalk universe that doesn't know that AA is one of 4 official US flag carriers, along with America West, US Airways and Pan American?
Pushpak
If I'm not mistaken, we are The United States of America. If you are talking about America in general, you would inlcude the rest of North and South America. So isn't it not the nations flag carrier, but the two continents flag carrier.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
If I'm not mistaken, we are The United States of America. If you are talking about America in general, you would inlcude the rest of North and South America. So isn't it not the nations flag carrier, but the two continents flag carrier.
Yeah, but I already spoke with all of them and they said "We're good with Hooters."
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Jeez, you're all acting like you're on drugs...

Is that why they call him the Doctor?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
....you can begin to see the emergence of a coherent strategy to make AA profitable and keep customers happy.

Congratulations Gerard Arpey and all the other AA Execs! This EXP says you deserve your bonuses.

To borrow a phrase from the great John McEnroe: "You cannot be serious !"
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:09 am

I went to college with a guy named Simson N. Garfinkel. He wrote for the school newspaper ... Eventually SNG moved on and is now a fairly well known columnist and writer in the hi-tech biz world.
Simson was in my law school 1L class, and I see him around town (Cambridge MA) with surprising frequency! Small world...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
"Trans-World" sounds very U.N.-ish, almost "I wanna give the whole world a hug"-ish, and is therefore Unpatriotic(tm).
^ I was trying to compose a TWA-ish a post - but never mind, I've just deleted my reply - I sure can't top this description.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
But keep in mind that AA is partly made up of Trans-World Airlines. "Trans-World" sounds very U.N.-ish, almost "I wanna give the whole world a hug"-ish, and is therefore Unpatriotic(tm). Therefore, American cannot be the national flag carrier.

I nominate Hooters Air. What's more American than that?
Of course, TWA's original name, "Transcontinental and Western Air" was a bit more American.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Of course, TWA's original name, "Transcontinental and Western Air" was a bit more American.
I'd forgotten that the original TWA came into being after the merger (in the 30's, IIRC) of Transcontinental Air Transport and Western Air Express. I think they called it *The Lindbergh Line* - we'll have to take it to Omni decide if he was a good American representative.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Very interesting comment. I went to college with a guy named Simson N. Garfinkel. He wrote for the school newspaper, and he was the most annoying, irritating, exasperating flame-bait SOB ever. Major geek, to boot. But everybody read Simon N. Garfunkel's columns, and he was a frequent topic of conversation.

Eventually SNG moved on and is now a fairly well known columnist and writer in the hi-tech biz world. And he's toned down his annoying ways once he grew up a little. I hear Hillary Clinton and Al Gore were the same way. Some may say they still are.

I was at the Institute at the same time! Garfinkel was (and still is) great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.