Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't EXP get confirmed upgrades on Y and B?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Why don't EXP get confirmed upgrades on Y and B?

A friend who has PLT was asking me (the group expert ) whether AA status made the best sense, or if he should seek a status match. When explaining the differences to him between AA and particularly NW and CO, one thing hit me, though it doesn't apply to him: On any airline offering free upgrades for all, upgrades are confirmable at time of booking on Y and B fares. So, for EXP, who get them all free as it is, why not do this? As far as upgrades go, EXPs don't have the same incentive to purchase full fare tix. PLT and GLD members do, as they may be able to purchase a transcon in Y on the company dime and not have to worry about the $150 each way for stickers if they don't have them already. I think that they should either confirm the EXP ones at time of booking on Y and B, or else offer EXP guaranteed upgrades at 100hrs on Y and B fares if there are F seats available, regardless of whether they are F, X, J, D or A.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The benefit is granted based on time before flying and the free updgrade within the time windows for Y and B just means you don't have to expend stickers. Why would AA want to give out confirmed upgrades months before flights if they can sell the seats in Y or B at Y or B prices? They don't.

They do have YUP fares which is a compromise of sorts. They also have not gone bankrupt unlike most of their competition.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The benefit is granted based on time before flying and the free updgrade within the time windows for Y and B just means you don't have to expend stickers. Why would AA want to give out confirmed upgrades months before flights if they can sell the seats in Y or B at Y or B prices? They don't.

They do have YUP fares which is a compromise of sorts. They also have not gone bankrupt unlike most of their competition.

That's why I asked why they don't do this for EXP, who already get upgrades w/o stickers. Didn't say it made sense to do it across the board.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:39 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
That's why I asked why they don't do this for EXP, who already get upgrades w/o stickers. Didn't say it made sense to do it across the board.
EXPs don't have to use stickers to upgrade--that's true. But these free upgrades clear at the EXP window, not at booking. It's possible that even an EXP on a Y or B fare will not get an upgrade, if the whole cabin has filled with confirmed F passengers (be they F awards, A/YUP fares, or full-fare F).
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elron938
EXPs don't have to use stickers to upgrade--that's true. But these free upgrades clear at the EXP window, not at booking. It's possible that even an EXP on a Y or B fare will not get an upgrade, if the whole cabin has filled with confirmed F passengers (be they F awards, A/YUP fares, or full-fare F).

I know, but wouldn't confirmed upgrades convince a lot more EXPs to buy Y and B fares that wouldn't already?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I know, but wouldn't confirmed upgrades convince a lot more EXPs to buy Y and B fares that wouldn't already?
Likely not- at least not in my case. I generally assume (based on my record thus far) that I'll get my upgrade at the proper window. So, no, I wouldn't pay more in order to get the same upgrade earlier. And, if I wanted to do that, I'd likelt seek the YUP, usually not much more than the Y or B. I don't see the airline giving away premium cabion seats that early. No reason to do it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, CO and NW allow all elites to CONFIRM their upgrade to FC upon ticketing of any Y fare. CO, at least, does not appear to be heading toward bankruptcy.
I'm not suggesting AA necessarily adopt this benefit for all elites, but it would be a nice bone to throw to the EXPs, when there are no YUP fares available. (Maybe limit to Y, excl. B). I've paid up for Y on CO to prebook the upgrade when I knew my elite upgrade would likely not come through, the flight was long enough and the equipment merited it (in CO's case their internationally-configured 757s, but on AA perhaps a 777 sold as 2-class, or even the 763).
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hey, CO and NW allow all elites to CONFIRM their upgrade to FC upon ticketing of any Y fare. CO, at least, does not appear to be heading toward bankruptcy.
I'm not suggesting AA necessarily adopt this benefit for all elites, but it would be a nice bone to throw to the EXPs, when there are no YUP fares available. (Maybe limit to Y, excl. B). I've paid up for Y on CO to prebook the upgrade when I knew my elite upgrade would likely not come through, the flight was long enough and the equipment merited it (in CO's case their internationally-configured 757s, but on AA perhaps a 777 sold as 2-class, or even the 763).
Rest assured AA has looked into all facets of upgrades. If it made economic sense, they would do it. By my experience, EXP is no guarantee of an upgrade in business travel markets as there are many companies paying for F on DFW-LGA and ORD-LGA so why should AA sell premium seats for less. Those not traveling to NY airports have an advantage.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA53
Rest assured AA has looked into all facets of upgrades. If it made economic sense, they would do it. By my experience, EXP is no guarantee of an upgrade in business travel markets as there are many companies paying for F on DFW-LGA and ORD-LGA so why should AA sell premium seats for less. Those not traveling to NY airports have an advantage.

If that is true (and I'm sure it is), why don't they sell the MIA-JFK 762 as a three class AC, the way they do to LAX and SFO? If there are people paying for premium seats on those markets, why not sell more of them?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:49 pm

no. if you set aside the group that is always on Y or B, you're left with a group for whom there's not much marginal benefit in it, compared to the cost. As an EXP I can be 99.9% sure of a window upgrade, and pay a cheapo fare, or 100% sure and pay a gouging fare (well, slightly less gouging in the SimpliFares era, but easily triple or quadruple still). If the upgrade does fail, I'm left with a perfectly decent exit row seat.

chances of this particular benefit driving a Y/B purchase at the margin? none.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
huh?

If that is true (and I'm sure it is), why don't they sell the MIA-JFK 762 as a three class AC, the way they do to LAX and SFO? If there are people paying for premium seats on those markets, why not sell more of them?
There is NO 762 on MIA-JFK... I think you mean 777. the 777 is sold as 2 classes in ALL domestic to domestic markets. a 3 hours flight (MIA-JFK) does not have the market for a 3 class config, unlike a 6 hours transcon.

EDIT
My bad, I keep forgetting they pulled the 777 on this route. Sorry
/EDIT

Last edited by FlyACN; Jul 17, 2005 at 5:09 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
As an EXP I can be 99.9% sure of a window upgrade, and pay a cheapo fare, or 100% sure and pay a gouging fare (well, slightly less gouging in the SimpliFares era, but easily triple or quadruple still). If the upgrade does fail, I'm left with a perfectly decent exit row seat.
Well, spend some time hanging out on the CO board and you'll quickly learn that their Platinums (top-tier) are FAR from hitting a 99.9% upgrade window. Maybe it's a function of fewer available FC seats, more pax buying FC on CO because it's an excellent product, or more CO Plt vs. AA EXP (to be fair, CO Plt only requires 75K miles) -- or all of the above. Whatever the reason, the confirm-in-advance upgrade is certainly a nice benefit of the program, even if it only saves you $50-100 or so with the new Simplifares structure vs. buying a FC ticket to begin with.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, spend some time hanging out on the CO board and you'll quickly learn that their Platinums (top-tier) are FAR from hitting a 99.9% upgrade window. Maybe it's a function of fewer available FC seats, more pax buying FC on CO because it's an excellent product, or more CO Plt vs. AA EXP (to be fair, CO Plt only requires 75K miles) -- or all of the above. Whatever the reason, the confirm-in-advance upgrade is certainly a nice benefit of the program, even if it only saves you $50-100 or so with the new Simplifares structure vs. buying a FC ticket to begin with.

Don't forget, NW and CO status' are interchangeable. So, if a given CO flight has five CO Plats and five NW Plats, that's the same as ten CO Plats. On some routes, I can imagine that is a major factor, especially transcons.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Because they don't have to. What you propose is they drop the price of J/F to Y and B for EXP, when they already have passengers, EXP or not who will pay to fly in J or F, as evidenced by at times, a lack of upgrades at the 100, 72, and 24 hour marks. For full fare, note EXP and non EXP (PLT, Gold) are the same on full fare Y anyway, nobody has to use stickers to upgrade full fare coach, B and Y., viz:

AA.com: Please keep in mind that AAdvantage Executive Platinum members receive complimentary upgrades on any eligible purchased published fare. AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members receive complimentary upgrades when buying full-fare economy class tickets (booked in Y or B, excluding military/government fares).

So why sell the goose when you can have the eggs and the goose until 100 hours or less before departure? You don't.

Last edited by ricktoronto; Jul 18, 2005 at 6:41 am
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:32 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Could be a schedule issue .. 762 YES MIA-JFK

Originally Posted by FlyACN
There is NO 762 on MIA-JFK... I think you mean 777. the 777 is sold as 2 classes in ALL domestic to domestic markets. a 3 hours flight (MIA-JFK) does not have the market for a 3 class config, unlike a 6 hours transcon.

EDIT
My bad, I keep forgetting they pulled the 777 on this route. Sorry
/EDIT
There is a 762 MIA-JFK ... was in June and I looked at November and its still there. I don't think this changes month to month . but could be wrong without checking every month.

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1378 MIA
Miami 11/19/2005 11:44 AM JFK
New York 11/19/2005 02:30 PM 762 Economy
View Seats 90% 1090

The down-side of this flight for most tier flyers is the small size of the F cabin with 7 seats only. 757 and 737 give better odds for an upgrade. The other plane in this market is the Airbus .. with 16 F seats which makes it even with the narrow body competition. The 762's ONLY advantage in F is the old international First seats which are not suites/coffins and do not go flat.. they are wider than the business seats but dont recline a whole lot more. In my opinion they are very aged (mine did not work properly with the leg rest going only part way up) and really not that much better than business.

I took the 762 MIA-JFK in F and then a 762 JFK-LAX in J. Its comparing apples and prunes . .domestic F meal service vs transcon J meal service .. the transcon wins hands down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.