Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade to Business Class on domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
Free upgrade to Business Class on domestic flights

I remember once seeing a short list of domestic flights that used aircraft with Business Class seats, but had no Business Class service. Those Business Clas seats were available to elites on request without using upgrades.

If anyone has such a list, I'd particularly be interested in DFW flights.

Last edited by dfwdal; Jul 16, 2005 at 5:00 pm
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
DFW-ORD (777)
DFW-MIA (777)
MIA-JFK (762)

Bear in mind, however, that it is not actually a "BC upgrade" because the service is Y service. All that is there is the seat. Also, sometimes DFW-LAX is run on a 777, but not now. However, with the new routes that have been announced over the past couple months, these will become less and less, as more 777s are needed for int'l flights.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:08 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
And you must be at least GOLD or higher to reserve these seats on booking. Yes you can get moved to them at the airport by the gate if there is room.

Yea the 777 DFW-LAX (when its there) was NICE in the J seats. Service was coach level (meaning buy on board food and $$ for booze) so your post would be accurate to have said 'free seating in a business class seat'. It really is not an upgrade! Is an exit row an upgrade?? Not really .. its just seats reserved for upper tier until Gate control.

Also, a little know flight JFK-BDA that is the morning 762 service has Business (in the First class cabin) and Coach with the J cabin used as Coach seats.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01
And you must be at least GOLD or higher to reserve these seats on booking. Yes you can get moved to them at the airport by the gate if there is room.

Yea the 777 DFW-LAX (when its there) was NICE in the J seats. Service was coach level (meaning buy on board food and $$ for booze) so your post would be accurate to have said 'free seating in a business class seat'. It really is not an upgrade! Is an exit row an upgrade?? Not really .. its just seats reserved for upper tier until Gate control.

Also, a little know flight JFK-BDA that is the morning 762 service has Business (in the First class cabin) and Coach with the J cabin used as Coach seats.
Thanks for the tip on BDA.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by JGR01

Can you do a sticker upgrade on these services and end up in F?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Can you do a sticker upgrade on these services and end up in F?
Yes, but the competition is quite fierce for those upgrades

By the way, you can see the full list at: http://www.aacargo.com/shipping/schedules.jhtml, under "USA Outbound Widebody Flight Schedules." Look for flights that show 762 or 777 as Planned Equipment.

Last edited by Flyer23; Jul 17, 2005 at 1:17 am Reason: Adding link to schedule
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by Flyer23
By the way, you can see the full list at: http://www.aacargo.com/shipping/schedules.jhtml, under "USA Outbound Widebody Flight Schedules." Look for flights that show 762 or 777 as Planned Equipment.
Excellent link, thanks
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:19 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
DFW-ORD (777)
DFW-MIA (777)
MIA-JFK (762)

Bear in mind, however, that it is not actually a "BC upgrade" because the service is Y service. All that is there is the seat. Also, sometimes DFW-LAX is run on a 777, but not now. However, with the new routes that have been announced over the past couple months, these will become less and less, as more 777s are needed for int'l flights.
OMG – I am so embarrassed. As an EXP, I fly AA a lot. I split time in Miami and travel frequently to NYC for business and pleasure. Until I read your post, I had no idea a 762 existed. I could not figure out what you were talking about and thought you were somehow grossly confused with the two-class 763. Wow!

What a humbling experience.

Sam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.