Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
JFK to Sydney

I am planning a trip in January 2006, from JFK to Sydney. I will be returning from Auckland. At the time of the trip I will have platinum status. Is it beter to travel under Qantas or AA. Also is there any way to upgrade the flight. Any imput will be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Unfortunately, AA does not fly its own metal to the South Pacific/Australia. Therefore, you can only upgrade as far as LAX provided you're not on QF108. The only way to fly in a premium cabin using AA miles is to purchase the award outright. And good luck at that. QF just changed their award levels which prompted a run on the seats. I've heard from others on here that award seats are pretty much non-existent for the next 300-odd days.

Your PLT status will, however, get you into the Qantas Clubs and AA club in LAX. But that's about the end of the perks on QF.

As for which is better, depending on the price differential, it could be better to book the ticket as an AA code share rather than under the QF flight numbers. That way, you will get 100% EQMs and, once you've got your PLT status, the 100% mileage bonus.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by rstidolph
I am planning a trip in January 2006, from JFK to Sydney. I will be returning from Auckland. At the time of the trip I will have platinum status. Is it beter to travel under Qantas or AA. Also is there any way to upgrade the flight. Any imput will be greatly appreciated
There is no way to upgrade on Qantas using AA miles. The chances are very good that whatever class of service you purchase, that's the class of service you will experience.

On the bright side. As AA Plat/OW Sapphire you will be allowed to check in at the business desk, regardless of the class of service purchased. You will also have access to any and all, when available, AA/OneWorld business lounges.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you are flying QF discounted coach, you may only earn a percentage of miles that you'd earn flying as an AA codeshare. Like 50% of the miles, and 0.5 points. And while I know AA says "Tickets between North America and Europe, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible for mileage credit," I'm not sure what applies to Australia/ NZ. Maybe someone else will fill that in here...

I'd pay particular attention to my seat selection - in advance if possible and again arriving early at the airport. QF 747s are 31" pitch in coach, 3 x 4 x 3 seating; "cozy" isn't even the word, over those long stretches. andrzej is right about riding in the cabin you bought into, but don't lose ALL hope, I have actually received op ups as a Plat on QF transpacific flights n the past, though they were always a surprise and not anything I planned or plotted for. And be aware QF can be Draconian about carry-on weighing more than 6 kg / 13 lbs into the coach cabin as well.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RChavez
...Your PLT status will, however, get you into the Qantas Clubs and AA club in LAX. But that's about the end of the perks on QF.
..And AKL (since OP mentions it.) In AKL the business check-in area is a -big- plus, a completely separate area w/ customs pre-clearance, etc. I assume Plat would be welcome there (per OW rules) Used it this morning, big time saver as you pre-clear NZCS there.

QF in AKL is still very, very, very stringint on carry-on bag weight. My first time checking a bag in over a year (since my last time there.) Then again, down here, the priority tags really work.

GO All Blacks!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
As noted, you can't upgrade code-share flights operated by QF (or any other partner).

If you want to upgrade to/from that area, you can (at least to/from Oz, I've dont it; haven't checked NZ) fly via Tokyo on AA metal and upgrade that far with miles or eVIPs if you have them. You can then continue on a Qantas flight, which is non-upgradeable - but if it's a Qantas code-share operated by JAL, there's a good chance they'll put you in a business class seat since you bought your ticket outside Japan. (Just a J seat, not necessarily food or the other amenities.)

That adds to the length of the trip but improves its comfort and earns more miles. You get a chance to stretch your legs at NRT, and have a smoke if you're addicted, but keep in mind that AA-QF connections involve a terminal change which can take quite a while.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:23 am

For free tickets, soon we will have the option of flying
TN 3, which is also a one-stop JFK-SYD on Thu/Sat.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by rstidolph

I've read many post on travel to OZ and it seems Air Tahiti Nui (TN) has the best availabilty of award seats LAX-PPT-SYD and receives good comments for their service in all three classes. There are strong recommendations to avail oneself of the stopover in Papeete for at least an overnight to see Tahiti, on the return trip is better to break the trip and combat jetlag.

If you want to fly QF, it is advised to check all routings like via New Zealand and arriving Cairns or Melbourne and connecting to SYD as award seats are tight to SYD and F practically nonexistent for AA awards as QF makes F seats available to the own flyers earlier and they claim them before they are ever offered to QF's partner FF programs.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by JonNYC
..And AKL (since OP mentions it.) In AKL the business check-in area is a -big- plus, a completely separate area w/ customs pre-clearance, etc. I assume Plat would be welcome there (per OW rules) Used it this morning, big time saver as you pre-clear NZCS there.

QF in AKL is still very, very, very stringint on carry-on bag weight. My first time checking a bag in over a year (since my last time there.) Then again, down here, the priority tags really work.

GO All Blacks!
Not really, last time I carried 3 bags and they still let me through ( I was in J) However the priority tags is a hit and miss sometimes. But still better than any airport in USA.

Also Don't assume QF will obey Oneworld rules. I was once declined @ the J Class checkin based on Oneworld status.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:52 am

In my experience, service at QANTAS is a hit or miss thing - and can vary extremely from one person or occasion to another. It's incredibly frustrating! I even had one occasion when we tried for a decent seat - at BNE and AKL, thoguh it became a foregone conclusion at BNE; the premier seats were issued to a group of students on a trip to Australia. So, exit row seats belonged to young excited kids who spent all night up at others' seats chatting (making for difficult sleep for everyone else,) mums with infants were stuck in the middle rear rows, everyone was pretty miserable - and the cabin crew should have been busted to working on busses or in railroad stations. Other times I have been opped up and treated like visiting family.

Hand carried bags, sometimes they allow it all, other times they actually assign a staffer to wander amongs the passengers and snatch and heft bags to assure nothing over 13 lbs gets into the cabin. I especially recall one harridan at BNE, and more than once; it's not always winderful to see someone really loves their job.

Food, I've had decent airline food, and I've been served rubbish.

QANTAS, thy specialty is inconsistency! (And those 31" pitch seats for 15 hours are murder!)

Originally Posted by newcx12345
Not really, last time I carried 3 bags and they still let me through ( I was in J) However the priority tags is a hit and miss sometimes. But still better than any airport in USA.

Also Don't assume QF will obey Oneworld rules. I was once declined @ the J Class checkin based on Oneworld status.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
So, exit row seats belonged to young excited kids who spent all night up at others' seats chatting
Other than for Qf Platinum members (on international flights), exit row seats are only available at the airport and are offered on a first come , first served basis. They are not "premier" seats in the concept of OW premier seats and all have an equal chance of getting them

Dave
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:50 am

Which is why I got to the airport very early - and the "kids," Amereican and definitely not QF anything, boarded at AKL. Made it even more perplexing to me. I was merely told the seats were not available at check-in, and a bit more was explained at the QP - but when I saw who was assigned all the exit rows, I felt like visiting the QP a bit more...

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Other than for Qf Platinum members (on international flights), exit row seats are only available at the airport and are offered on a first come , first served basis. They are not "premier" seats in the concept of OW premier seats and all have an equal chance of getting them

Dave
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Have you considered Air Tahiti Nui (TN)? I have a few thoughts:

On July 1st, TN is inaugurating JFK-PPT-SYD service that is "better" than QF, IMO. TN3 leaves JFK on Thursdays and Saturdays at 5:15PM and arrives in SYD at 6:55AM. By comparison, QF108 departs 3 days/week at 7:20PM and arrives at 7:25AM. So the travel times are comparable (QF is 90 minutes shorter, but we're talking 22+ hours anyway).

By "better" I mean 2 things:

1. Your first leg on TN is a 12 hour, 40 minute international, transpacific flight to Papeete, leaving at the reasonable time of 5:20PM, which means you get to enjoy the nice service and watch a good movie or two, and then get 8+ hours of sleep, and then have breakfast.

I find that I'd always rather have my biggest international leg as my first leg, particularly on a night flight.

The QF flight doesn't have it's “big” international leg until you depart LAX around midnight (and, the service quality from JFK to LAX is only so-so); while they “turn it up a notch” from LAX-SYD, that's when you depart at midnight, after having flown for 6 hours from JFK-LAX and then having waited around at the airport at LAX changing planes.

2. You can fly confirmed first class for the price of business class, if you book with my friends at FirstAir.net; they have nice sleeper seats and I understand the quality is very good (SEE: http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/inflight/first.asp).

The bad news is that you don’t get AA/OW status credits, but you can get AAdvantage miles (or NW WorldPerks).

Have fun!
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:54 am

nologic, I can vouch for TN service and comfort - not lie-flat sleeper seats, as you mention, in J, but still decent, and I like the smaller cabin of the A340 to the huge, impersonal and crowded (especially in 3 x 4 x 3 31" pitch Y) 747 cabin. Coach iiirc has 32" pitch with 2 x 4 x 2 seating, and even in J, the TN A340 is 2 x 2 x 2 seating, no fear of a dreaded middle seat in J. And lots of "maeva" spirit, plus much more award availability with AA miles - and a PPT layover with a quick ferry hop to Moorea is a nice way to decompress!

The major drawback is that on revenue tix, one does NOT earn any kind of AA miles on TN flown as TN. AA FFs can burn, not earn, AAdvantage miles on TN.

Another alternative, though better suited for west coasters, is using FJ as AA or QF codeshare - a stopover in Fiji is usually no problem. 32" seat pitch in Y, and even counter upgrades to Tabua Class if one wants to blow some money.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
GO All Blacks!
Noooo, Jon! Repent! Repent!!

:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.