Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Success in asking reps to "bend" the upgrade inventory rules...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold

Wondering if anyone has ever had success in getting an phone agent to talk to revenue mgmt to shift inventory. Or if there is even any way for them to do an override. Here's the situation:

I'm one of 4 pax booked together on Friday's flight 285 LAX-LIH. Here's inventory per Expert Flyer:

AA 285 0 LAX
06/10/05 05:00PM LIH
06/10/05 07:43PM 757 D F5 A2 Y2 B2 H0 M0 K0 L0 V0 N0 W0 G0 S0 Q0 O0

Also shows sticker upgrade inventory as X2.

For a mileage upgrade I need A4 availability. Would they at all be willing to move the 2 from X2 into A, yielding A4? Has anyone had luck with such a request in the past?

Or is it likely that the 2 seats available in A and X are actually the same two seats, meaning if someone booked 2 in A, it could potentially drop X down to 0 as well?

WNLuvr
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The two seats (A and X) are probably the very same two seats. Get two of the upgrades confirmed right now if A is available and keep watching. If any more A becomes available, call and get them as well.

Good luck.

Edit to add: There's probably no chance AA will release two of the remaining F seats this early, but you can call and ask anyway. No harm in that.

Last edited by FWAAA; Jun 8, 2005 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by WNLuvr
Wondering if anyone has ever had success in getting an phone agent to talk to revenue mgmt to shift inventory. Or if there is even any way for them to do an override.
This may provide some insight http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439285
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ajacpril
Thanks for the head's up! Although it looks like the revenue management angels only shine down upon the lucky EXP travellers out there, not a lowly Plat like me. But I'm going to give it a shot and call, it can't hurt!

WNLuvr
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:28 am

Your best bet it to prod the agent to actually call Revenue Management and hope (s)he actually does. To the best of my knowledge, this flex is provided only for EXPs.

Thanks for the head's up! Although it looks like the revenue management angels only shine down upon the lucky EXP travellers out there, not a lowly Plat like me. But I'm going to give it a shot and call, it can't hurt!

WNLuvr
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:35 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
They do tend to do "things" for EXP. Since these are likely the same seats (as suggested), cross-booking of classes won't help. I have had it happen where an X-type upgrade was booked in A (since there was no X and there was A), to be "changed" at the airport.

For reference:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=booked

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:37 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If they don't sell the F seats before departure, they'll convert that inventory to X and A really quick. You want to already be on the waiting list when that conversion happens, and hope you're the highest on the list. Good luck!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can be certain there's no way AA is gonna give four of the current five F seats to the OP two days prior to departure. Not a chance. No matter which desk is called. No matter which extraordinary Flyertalker's tall tales are believed. It simply ain't gonna happen. AA is gonna hold more than one revenue F seat for sale given that there are still more than 54 hours to departure.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
As a lowly plt have never been able to get them to bend rules. I needed two J ( both of us are plat, when only one available for upgrade, but 11 unsold and they would not even consider it.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You can be certain there's no way AA is gonna give four of the current five F seats to the OP two days prior to departure. Not a chance. No matter which desk is called. No matter which extraordinary Flyertalker's tall tales are believed. It simply ain't gonna happen. AA is gonna hold more than one revenue F seat for sale given that there are still more than 54 hours to departure.

Telling it like it is...... ^
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:45 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Wondering if anyone has ever had success in getting an phone agent to talk to revenue mgmt to shift inventory. Or if there is even any way for them to do an override. Here's the situation:

I'm one of 4 pax booked together on Friday's flight 285 LAX-LIH. Here's inventory per Expert Flyer:

AA 285 0 LAX
06/10/05 05:00PM LIH
06/10/05 07:43PM 757 D F5 A2 Y2 B2 H0 M0 K0 L0 V0 N0 W0 G0 S0 Q0 O0

Also shows sticker upgrade inventory as X2.

For a mileage upgrade I need A4 availability. Would they at all be willing to move the 2 from X2 into A, yielding A4? Has anyone had luck with such a request in the past?

Or is it likely that the 2 seats available in A and X are actually the same two seats, meaning if someone booked 2 in A, it could potentially drop X down to 0 as well?

WNLuvr
are you for real? Can I borrow some of the painkillers you must be on to have even dreamed AA would do this?...lol

Just giving you are a hard time - seriously, not a snowball's chance.....noooo waayyy
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only "desk" which can help you is the gate agent's desk on the day of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.