AA wants to fly to Northeastern Brazil

Old Jun 7, 05, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
AA wants to fly to Northeastern Brazil

Brazilian media has reported today that American Airlines is going to seek excemptions to start flying to smaller cities in Northeast Brazil, possibly starting with Recife:

http://www2.panrotas.com.br/canais/r...sp&url_origem=
(Portuguese only, sorry).

The article basicly quotes American Airlines' head of Brazilian operations as saying that they would like to start new services to smaller Brazilian cities, such as Recife. The current US-Brazil bilatteral is maxed out, but AA will seek exemptions from it to start services to these cities. Seeking these exemptions may not be difficult. Portuguese airline TAP has such exemptions, and uses them to fly to Recife, Fortaleza, Salvador, Natal, and Belem.

This confirms the recent rumours of AA's plans to utilize 757s on flights to smaller Brazilian cities. On the list of canidates are Manaus, Recife, Fortaleza, Salvador da Bahia, Brasilia, Natal, and Belem. Manaus and Belem can both be reached by 738. Manaus would definitley be a 757 due to cargo demands, though I could see them using a 738 to Belem. They are both closer to Miami than San Francisco is.

And a little fun fact: Recife is the only South American city that Pan Am served from Miami that AA has never picked up (yes, I know AA got their LatAm operations from EA, not PA).
Old Jun 7, 05, 3:02 pm

Dear AA,
Please add Manaus. I would like to fly there once, on an award ticket. I hope my case sways you.
Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 05, 3:23 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I can only see this happening if they make them continuing service. AA has 5-6 planes sitting on the ground in GIG/GRU all day doing nothing. Very bad fleet utilization.
Old Jun 7, 05, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold (finally back), on way to Plat
Ties right in with AA's petitioning the DOT to allow them use of UA's dormant/unused rights to Brazil. Not sure if any decision has been made on this yet.
Old Jun 7, 05, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by flipside
I can only see this happening if they make them continuing service. AA has 5-6 planes sitting on the ground in GIG/GRU all day doing nothing. Very bad fleet utilization.
Given the length of the flight, very few people want to arrive at MIA/JFK/DFW early in the morning (meaning few if any connex opportunities), fly 8-11 hours, and arrive where they're going late at night.

What do you suggest AA should do with those planes all day?
Old Jun 7, 05, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HGP
Thanks for the link to the article. This would be great news as the NE Brasil is currently a PITA to get to using AA, although as stated nothing is expected in the short term.
Old Jun 7, 05, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flipside
No they don't. They have one plane sitting in GRU and one plane sitting in GIG. That's it.

The MIA-GRU 763 operates GRU-ASU.
The DFW-GRU 763 turns around and operates a daylight GRU-MIA.
The JFK-GRU 772 goes and operates GRU-GIG.
The MIA-GRU 772 sits on the ground (until recently, it operated GRU-CNF).

These new flights will use 757s, operating non-stop from Miami, 3x to 7x a week depedning on the city. Plans for Manaus, for example, are a daily 757.
Old Jun 7, 05, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
Dear AA,
Please add Manaus. I would like to fly there once, on an award ticket. I hope my case sways you.
Thanks!
Can't you fly an award in combination with TAM since they're partners? I just flew up there (w/ TAM) but it was with their very cost-effective Airpass for foreigners. $100 ea. way between any 2 cities served by them. Excellent deal. Perhaps thats why AA hasn't pursued this before.

Another city that hasn't been mentioned and should be flown to by AA is obviously Salvador. Considering how touristy it is, I don't see why AA hasn't jumped into that yet.
Old Jun 7, 05, 4:58 pm

Wow Manaus, that would be great.
Old Jun 7, 05, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
This would be a great development.

Any word if CNF would come back?

Last edited by snorkmaster; Jun 7, 05 at 6:13 pm
Old Jun 7, 05, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by benoit
Wow Manaus, that would be great.
Wow. You're Right. Manaus: The confluence of the Rio Negro & the Rio Amazonas.
Old Jun 7, 05, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA,DL
I'm for Manaus too.
Old Jun 7, 05, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volaris
Can't you fly an award in combination with TAM since they're partners? I just flew up there (w/ TAM) but it was with their very cost-effective Airpass for foreigners. $100 ea. way between any 2 cities served by them. Excellent deal. Perhaps thats why AA hasn't pursued this before.

Another city that hasn't been mentioned and should be flown to by AA is obviously Salvador. Considering how touristy it is, I don't see why AA hasn't jumped into that yet.
Salvador and Manaus both already have non-stops to Miami. TAM flies MIA-SSA weekly and LAB flies MIA-MAO 3x a week.

While Salvador da Bahia is very touristy, there is less SSA-originating traffic than they would like. They are aiming to tap into local traffic too, which cities like Fortaleza and Recife better offer.

Manaus, despite having three weekly 767 flights to Miami, is still a priority for AA, because of huge cargo demand and a lot of business/merchant traffic, along with ecotourism traffic. AA actually applied to offer daily MIA-MAO service back in 1999, but lost against Continental's IAH-GRU proposal.

Belo Horizonte is being looked at, but will require a modified 757-200 for the route. AA is currently debating creating a subfleet of 757s that will be modified to open new long-haul flying from JFK to Europe (mainly Germany) and Miami to deep South America. Routes such as New York City-Dusseldorf and Miami-Cordoba.
Old Jun 7, 05, 9:18 pm

1) A new subfleet? Obvious benefits -- opens up the new markets. But also obvious costs -- complexity, scheduling, etc. Recent trend has been for fewer subfleets, not more.

2) More 757 routes. Good, I guess. But this means the pressure is on for existing routes to defend themselves. I guess AA picked up a 757 from cancelling BOS-SJC. (Not to mention other cancelled transcons.) But every plane has to come from somewhere (putting aside further scheduling improvements), which means every route addition entails a reduction elsewhere in the system.
Old Jun 7, 05, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bedelman
1) A new subfleet? Obvious benefits -- opens up the new markets. But also obvious costs -- complexity, scheduling, etc. Recent trend has been for fewer subfleets, not more.

2) More 757 routes. Good, I guess. But this means the pressure is on for existing routes to defend themselves. I guess AA picked up a 757 from cancelling BOS-SJC. (Not to mention other cancelled transcons.) But every plane has to come from somewhere (putting aside further scheduling improvements), which means every route addition entails a reduction elsewhere in the system.
If I had to guess, I'd suspect that AA would operate the 757s as is, either in a one-class arrangement a la BOS-SNN/MAN or selling the F cabin as J Class.

Search this Thread