Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
After reading the guidelines for All-Partner and OneWorld award travel rules, I think I got everything down but I'd like to run this by you folks to see if I got my information straight.

I intend to take a trip to Bali, Indonesia (DPS) in August (peak) and am trying to figure out a way to get a stopover in HKG on the way back.

The basic routing I found for my trip starting in LAX was like this:

LAX->HKG->DPS->HKG->LAX

This will be all on Cathay Pacific from what it seems.

Strictly following my itinerary and with economy seats only, I would be looking at a cost of 70,000 miles. If I were to want to have a stopover, it seems the best way would be to book separate one way segments. I'd like to stop in HKG for 1-2 days so that clearly far exceeds the transit time period between stops.

The cost breakdown should then be:

LAX->HKG->DPS (35,000)
DPS->HKG (20,000)
HKG->LAX (35,000)

This seems more reasonable than trying to do a OneWorld ticket which would run me 100,000 miles (total travel distance is a little under 19,000 miles) and I'd have to also worry about getting another OneWorld carrier in there to fulfill the rules for using a OneWorld award ticket.

Does this all sound about right? If there are better suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 8)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Shinikenshi
Does this all sound about right? If there are better suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 8)
It looks about right. ^ The only problem is the Y award availability on LAX-HKG in August. I don't see one single Y award seat available. You may want to try LAX-SFO-HKG as Y award availability on SFO-HKG looks to be wide open.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I had a look at the OP and have a question on one-way awards within the US/Canada only on AA. Can I have a stopover and if so does it have to be only in an AA hub and does this include LAX?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I had a look at the OP and have a question on one-way awards within the US/Canada only on AA. Can I have a stopover and if so does it have to be only in an AA hub and does this include LAX?
US/Canada is considered Domestic award. You dont get stopover for a domestic award.

Only an INTERNATIONAL award that includes North America as part of the itinerary, then you are entitled to have a North America Gateway stopover either the last city leaving the region or the first city entering the region.

North America for this purpose is a large region that includes US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbeans.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by buschoi
It looks about right. ^ The only problem is the Y award availability on LAX-HKG in August. I don't see one single Y award seat available. You may want to try LAX-SFO-HKG as Y award availability on SFO-HKG looks to be wide open.
Cool, thanks for the tip! Yeah I figured August would be tricky for anything in Asia. I'll get to it and hopefully get this sorted out before the end of the month.

This also helps to fly through SFO as a friend of mine is also traveling to DPS but would be doing so from SFO as well.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Shinikenshi
Cool, thanks for the tip! Yeah I figured August would be tricky for anything in Asia. I'll get to it and hopefully get this sorted out before the end of the month.

This also helps to fly through SFO as a friend of mine is also traveling to DPS but would be doing so from SFO as well.
Doing it ASAP is my advice. CX's availability is known to fluctuate. So if you see seats now, get it. Another unknown is LAX-SFO. I am not sure how easy one can get award seat in that segment. I have not checked HKG-DPS either. So you have to work on the short-haul segments.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:46 pm

Didn't see this earlier in the thread but thought it might be useful for other travelers. I had read that BA/QF were sometimes stingy about releasing award seats to AA members, even when those same seats were available for BA/QF flyers.

I've been working on an August itinerary to Africa via LHR. I was able to see award availability in F using my BA EC account for some specific August dates. Two calls to the EXP desk resulted in no award options using my AA miles on those same dates....until I mentioned the flight number that showed as available on ba.com. Agent was able to book it, was surprised that the seats were available, and intrigued that I had looked it up on ba.com.

I guess if you're unsure don't be afraid to ask and be specific about flight numbers.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by AUSTraveler
Didn't see this earlier in the thread but thought it might be useful for other travelers. I had read that BA/QF were sometimes stingy about releasing award seats to AA members, even when those same seats were available for BA/QF flyers.

I've been working on an August itinerary to Africa via LHR. I was able to see award availability in F using my BA EC account for some specific August dates. Two calls to the EXP desk resulted in no award options using my AA miles on those same dates....until I mentioned the flight number that showed as available on ba.com. Agent was able to book it, was surprised that the seats were available, and intrigued that I had looked it up on ba.com.

I guess if you're unsure don't be afraid to ask and be specific about flight numbers.
I think the AAgent may just be inexperience or lazy. I had the same experience booking a CX flight. While both CX and BA's award engines both showed the seats I wanted were available, the agent told me she did not even see the flight existed! I told her the CX flight departed SFO at 12:05am, so she technically should search the following day (rather than the day I depart from the first city heading to SFO). All she told me was she only saw the afternoon CX flight available. I tried several days and she said she did not see the red-eye flight exist at all!

I know there must be something wrong. Rather than arguing, I hung up, called again, and I was routed through to Manila. This time I started off with the TPAC segment, asking the agent to search for the exact date, time, and flight I wanted. She found it wide-open. Then I worked backward to find my domestic flight. Again, she found it.

So I believe it all depends on who you speak to.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: AA:1MM
if i am trying to change the date on a Saaver award and platinum*,

(1) I assume there has to be sAAver availability for the day that I want to change it to? (rather than just space on the plane / AAnytime)?
(2) is there additional availability visible to the AAgent if I call?
(3) are there any other factors that might matter?

* I mention I am platinum to pre-empt anyone asking if I am EXP because I am under the impression they get a special benefit of some sort.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: A few
Being just platinum phoning agent won't have any improvement over what you see on aa.com. Only EXP gets access to expanded inventory, which from experience I think tends to be quite significant
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Being just platinum phoning agent won't have any improvement over what you see on aa.com. Only EXP gets access to expanded inventory, which from experience I think tends to be quite significant
As a PLT, they might be more include to call Revenue Mgmt to ask for more seats
While not the same as EXP expanded availability, it is not unheard of for PLTs to get better treatment than GOLD or nonstatus passengers
Old May 2, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Upgrade Awards: Stop-overs allowed or not?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Since Tumbleweed666 is planning to use miles and a co-pay to upgrade a paid coach ticket, I think there are two issues here:

1. Is he entitled to overnight in LAX, rather than take the valid same-day connection to OGG? If overnighting counts as a connection on the paid ticket, then the answer is clearly "Yes." If, on the other hand, overnighting is not considered a valid connection, then the fare rules applicable to the itinerary will determine whether a stopover is allowed, and if so, what the charge is (if any).

2. If overnighting in LAX constitutes a stopover and not a connection, then the question is whether a single upgrade award will cover the entire LHR-LAX-OGG itinerary, or whether two upgrade awards must be used, one for LHR-LAX, and a second award for LAX-OGG. I do not know the answer to that one.
Has anyone gotten any clarity on this issue very confusing issue? Do one way upgrade awards, using miles+copay, from coach to business/first allow stopovers or not? Do they fall under the one way award of stopovers only at international gateway rule or not? I've seen conflicting information posted on the wiki (which states they are allowed), misleading information by AA indicating that they are only allowed at international gateways and further information by AA that they are not allowed at all here--the 3rd bullet point under General Advantage headline.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:31 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post above released from spam filter.
/Moderator
Old May 3, 2010, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by zpat
Has anyone gotten any clarity on this issue very confusing issue? Do one way upgrade awards, using miles+copay, from coach to business/first allow stopovers or not? Do they fall under the one way award of stopovers only at international gateway rule or not? I've seen conflicting information posted on the wiki (which states they are allowed), misleading information by AA indicating that they are only allowed at international gateways and further information by AA that they are not allowed at all here--the 3rd bullet point under General Advantage headline.
the wiki is probably out of date. the systemwide/eVIP rules say that stopovers depend on fare construction. the rule you linked appears to be current and applicable-- a stopover would "break" a one-way miles(+copay) upgrade award. please do post again if your experience differs..
Old May 9, 2010, 3:54 am

Routing question for AA newbie

A routing question from an AA newbie!

So, in August, I am hoping to redeem AA miles for either C or F award oneway for following:

CMB or SIN to YUL with Stopover in ICN.

Can I route:

1) CMB/SIN-HKG-ICN(stop)-NRT-US gateway-YUL?

or

2) CMB-SIN-NRT-ICN (stop) -HKG-JFK-YUL (if spaces available)

I think the first routing may as well work since I am not back-tracking... however, the second routing shows significant backtracking...so perhaps that's not doable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.