Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:09 pm
Suspended

honu:

See this thread.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:41 pm

Stopovers on CA to Hawaii flights

I am confused after reading the new rules. Can we still get a within 48 state city stopover on reward tickets from CA to Hawaii? What I read into the new rules is that CA originating flights to Hawaii can only have a CA stopover. I know previously that one could fly SFO-HNL-SJU-SFO on a 35K award ticket. You can substitute SJU for any 48 state city. SJU was also include with the 48 states.If CA originating flights are restricted to CA only stopvers, that is grossly unfair since it costs the same 35K miles originating from any othe US city. Please confirm.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
hawaii stopover on way to saigon?

is this routing legal for an award ticket?

SJC-HKG (stopover) - Saigon (destination) - HKG - HON (stopover) - LAX-JFK?

thanks very much folks...

djdevvydev
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:08 am

Honolulu as US gateway

Originally Posted by Brenda
I am confused after reading the new rules. Can we still get a within 48 state city stopover on reward tickets from CA to Hawaii? What I read into the new rules is that CA originating flights to Hawaii can only have a CA stopover. I know previously that one could fly SFO-HNL-SJU-SFO on a 35K award ticket. You can substitute SJU for any 48 state city. SJU was also include with the 48 states.If CA originating flights are restricted to CA only stopvers, that is grossly unfair since it costs the same 35K miles originating from any othe US city. Please confirm.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Got my Easter Island itinerary finally ticketed today.

BKK-SIN CX C
SIN-SYD BA F
SYD-PPT TN F
PPT-IPC LA C
IPC-PPT LA C
PPT-AKL TN F
AKL-SYD QF Y
SYD-HKG CX C
HKG-BKK CX F

Fingers crossed the CX SYD-HKG flight would open up in F later.
There goes this itinerary, about 5 days worth of late night award planning and a major hassle to get it finally ticketed...

TN has rescheduled the SYD flights to different days apparently.

Anyway, the first post mentions TN C being booked to I or Z - which one is correct nowadays? Just in case A is not available - does any website show TN award bucket availability? Off to the BKK office I go again...
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:55 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
I ran through this thread to find the answer but can't find it.

Can someone book an award ticket with the following domestic:

AUS-DFW-SFO (stopover)-JFK-ORD-AUS ?

When I called the evening AA people they said no way.

Any thoughts?

thanks!!

edited to change NYC to JFK so as not to backtrack and fly thru DFW

Last edited by jeffo; Feb 1, 2006 at 10:01 pm
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Impact of the 6 hour rule

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Clarification:
the rule for All Partner awards differs from an all AA award.
These are the rules as they apply to an all-AA award:
Thanks JonNYC - I now understand why I went thru hell with a (very helpful) agent the other night. I did not realize that this new rule is for AA/partners and not only AA - though it is likely to impact AA only itineraries. We spent forever trying to piece together a US-Italy ticket because of this stupid rule. It cost AA an hour of agent's time. On top of this we ended up with a 4 segment trip instead of 3 - the cost of this to BA/AA is presumably real. She agreed that for a hub like LHR there is a catch 22. Even though there might be space an hour later than a sold out flight it is not allowed to be booked under this new rule. Whatever - there is always a way round - and usually one that works to the airlines' disadvantage - like multi segments instead of one. I did educate myself on the most esoteric routes though. Someday that will be useful. I did not realize for example that multiple BA flights are ok for connecting into AA.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
Question re: itinerary

I have a question about an award itinerary (in biz, ideally) I'm trying to put together for this fall - would it be legal to do the following? I'm trying to do a multi-leg itinerary, and not sure if it's allowed as I'd be going to Asia 2 and 1.

ORD-HKG (via LAX/SFO to get onto CX), stay in HKG for a week or so with a side trip or two not contained in this award ticket, then:

HKG-PEK (on CX), stay in PEK for a few days, then:

PEK-ORD (via NRT to use JL)

??
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:40 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DasKitty
I have a question about an award itinerary (in biz, ideally) I'm trying to put together for this fall - would it be legal to do the following? I'm trying to do a multi-leg itinerary, and not sure if it's allowed as I'd be going to Asia 2 and 1.

ORD-HKG (via LAX/SFO to get onto CX), stay in HKG for a week or so with a side trip or two not contained in this award ticket, then:

HKG-PEK (on CX), stay in PEK for a few days, then:

PEK-ORD (via NRT to use JL)

??
OK, WHY would you want to go via NRT and use JL exactly?

If you're using a J award ticket, you should just go ahead and book it ORD-LAX in F, connect to HKG in J on CX, use HKG as your international stopover and continue on to PEK on CX whenever you want. Then you're ready to return, go back to ORD via HKG on CX, then LAX-ORD on AA. TRUST me that CX J is the way to go.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
OK, WHY would you want to go via NRT and use JL exactly?

If you're using a J award ticket, you should just go ahead and book it ORD-LAX in F, connect to HKG in J on CX, use HKG as your international stopover and continue on to PEK on CX whenever you want. Then you're ready to return, go back to ORD via HKG on CX, then LAX-ORD on AA. TRUST me that CX J is the way to go.
Thanks for the reply - I was trying to avoid backtracking and adding a connection, and saw that the NRT-ORD JL flight has their new shell biz seat, which looked nice.

I certainly didn't mean to imply I'd prefer JL over CX....just figured PEK-NRT-ORD would be simpler than PEK-HKG-LAX-ORD.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The following Oneworld F Award was rejected at the 180,000 mile level (allowed at 230,000 miles, but no thanks).

ORD-SFO-HKG-MEL-DPO//HBA-SYD//SYD-MEL-HKG-LAX-JFK,LGA-ORD

I was given two competing reasons for this:

1 - I could only overnight in NYC if I was on the last flight out to NYC from LAX. I was on the second to last, not counting the red-eyes. Even though it arrived after the last flights to ORD, it did not comply.

2 - I needed to take the most direct routing between stopover/end points, meaning I had to route LAX-ORD. If true, that would be a significant rule change and could potentially affect all kinds of out fo the way routings needed to find availability.

I hope the real reason was #1 and not #2.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:57 am

If I'm flying EWR-ZRH-TXL-[open jaw]-MUC-ZRH-EWR using AA miles on LX, I presume I can't change to EWR-ZRH-TXL-[stop]-MUC-[stop]-ZRH-EWR.

Any chance I can get AA to add the TXL-MUC flight in the middle?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
The following Oneworld F Award was rejected at the 180,000 mile level (allowed at 230,000 miles, but no thanks).

1 - I could only overnight in NYC if I was on the last flight out to NYC from LAX. I was on the second to last, not counting the red-eyes. Even though it arrived after the last flights to ORD, it did not comply.
Assuming that you have stopovers in DPO/HBA, SYD, and JFK/LGA, your total countable trip miles is 21,007 according to Great Circle Mapper. That costs 230,000 AA miles in first class.

According to JonNYC on May 24, 2005, the rule is as follows:

"Passenger has ... 6 hours to connect.... If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover. If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the ... 6 hour window and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the ... 6 hour window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight. It is not necessary to check every flight/carrier to ensure passenger is booked on next scheduled flight."

You might want to take a look at this thread in the oneworld forum.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Assuming that you have stopovers in DPO/HBA, SYD, and JFK/LGA, your total countable trip miles is 21,007 according to Great Circle Mapper. That costs 230,000 AA miles in first class.

According to JonNYC on May 24, 2005, the rule is as follows:

"Passenger has ... 6 hours to connect.... If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover. If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the ... 6 hour window and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the ... 6 hour window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight. It is not necessary to check every flight/carrier to ensure passenger is booked on next scheduled flight."

You might want to take a look at this thread in the oneworld forum.
I belive the thrust of his question is why is the JFK/LGA transit being considered a stopover. If it is, we all see that it's a 230,000 miles award-- as he points out himself in post #135.

The very question here is what rule-- as we know them-- makes that a stop-over, even though it doesn't appear to be.

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 6, 2006 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC

2 - I needed to take the most direct routing between stopover/end points, meaning I had to route LAX-ORD. If true, that would be a significant rule change and could potentially affect all kinds of out fo the way routings needed to find availability.

I hope the real reason was #1 and not #2.
Yes, the real reason was 1, not 2.

You just need to go on the next flight [within x hours] even if it is the red-eye.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.