Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cruisereg
I've read the entire thread and appreciate all the information, but I'm still confused about whether the following would be possible as a single F reward:

RDU-ORD-JAX-DFW-SAN-DFW-RDU

This is craziness is so I can meet up with my father in JAX for a trip to SAN with him. I want to surprise him with roundtrip F for him JAX-DFW-SAN-DFW-JAX.

Is this doable? Worst case scenario is I meet him in DFW.

Thanks!
Absolutley doable! AA domestic awards allow stopovers anywhere in the 48us. So,in essence, you're stopping in JAX on your way to SAN. Bear in mind that RDUxORDoJAX may consist of coach only.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
delete...

oops didn't realize i click on wrong thread
sorry

Last edited by travel214; Oct 3, 2005 at 6:21 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:57 am

Once I have a J partner award ticketed (DCA-JFK-ZRH(stopover)-PRG(destination)-ZRH-MIA-DCA), can I change the routing of the return and add a stopover in Canada? For example, would changing the ZRH-MIA-DCA to ZRH-YUL(stopover)-DCA be allowed? I assume that this would be allowed if there were a non-stop between YUL and DCA, but there is not so I would need to connect in ORD, which would add another segment to the ticket.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Originally Posted by JohnWM
If I redeem my AA miles for travel between JFK and Japan/China, and want to book on JAL, what stopovers am I permitted to make? Hawaii (going or coming)? Tokyo (going or coming)? I would like to visit Tokyo, Osaka (for Kyoto), and Beijing.

I am somewhat confused as to what is permitted, and would appreciate any clarifications those of you on the board might be able to provide.

Thanks very much.
I just tried to book an F award LAX-HNL-NRT-HKG-LAX. Since HKG is in the "Asia 2" region, I was told I cannot do a stopover in HNL. If my itinerary was wholly within "Asia 1" the HNL stopover would be permitted.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? It really doesn't make sense to me.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:11 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by johnep1
Once I have a J partner award ticketed (DCA-JFK-ZRH(stopover)-PRG(destination)-ZRH-MIA-DCA), can I change the routing of the return and add a stopover in Canada? For example, would changing the ZRH-MIA-DCA to ZRH-YUL(stopover)-DCA be allowed? I assume that this would be allowed if there were a non-stop between YUL and DCA, but there is not so I would need to connect in ORD, which would add another segment to the ticket.

Thanks.
Segments aren't a problem. Partner awards permit one stopover (coming *or* going) at the NA gateway *and* one stopover (coming *or* going) at the European gateway, so your return PRG-ZRH-YUL(stopover)-DCA is not a problem. You could also do a PRG-LHR-YUL(stopover)-DCA.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by pdb
Segments aren't a problem. Partner awards permit one stopover (coming *or* going) at the NA gateway *and* one stopover (coming *or* going) at the European gateway, so your return PRG-ZRH-YUL(stopover)-DCA is not a problem. You could also do a PRG-LHR-YUL(stopover)-DCA.
Thanks for the info. Is adding a stopover once after you're ticketed a problem?

I hadn't thought about going ZRH-LHR-YUL on BA. BA J would be much better than LX J on an A330.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:56 am
pdb

Thanks for the info. Is adding a stopover once after you're ticketed a problem?

I hadn't thought about going ZRH-LHR-YUL on BA. BA J would be much better than LX J on an A330.
Adding a stopover should not be a problem, but would be subject to a change fee. ($100, if I remember correctly.)
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by pdb
Adding a stopover should not be a problem, but would be subject to a change fee. ($100, if I remember correctly.)
As my original outbound flights are no longer available for an award, would paying the change fee cancel the ticket and then start over (thus lose the outbound), or would it just change the return? I guess a smart thing to do with awards is to always book as many stopovers as allowed when making the original reservation. You could then always change that to a 2 hour stop, which would be easier than changing a 2 hour stop to a 2 day one.

I really just want to see another city, if even for a day (less than 24 hours since that would not be a stopover and would avoid the change fee). Since this is a partner award, it looks like my options from PRG are IST, MAD, DUB, LON, and HEL (the latter 3 sure would be fun in early January).

Does just adding segments (and no stopover) also require a change fee?

Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:17 pm

FEEDBACK on stopovers

By the way, this worked:

Day 1 TVC-ORD-DFW [Stopover]
Day 15 DFW-SAL [End]
Day 29 SAL-DFW 'forced overnight'
Day 30 DFW-ORD-TVC
[able to talk them into the 7am flight over the 6am since I still get to TVC at the same time]

Logic was that there were no more flights on day 29th that would have taken me to TVC that same day.

Probably could had had the forced overnight in ORD over DFW if I wanted. Actually, I don't know AA preference, if any on this.

Last edited by AAaLot; Oct 19, 2005 at 5:19 pm
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:26 pm
pdb

As my original outbound flights are no longer available for an award, would paying the change fee cancel the ticket and then start over (thus lose the outbound), or would it just change the return? I guess a smart thing to do with awards is to always book as many stopovers as allowed when making the original reservation. You could then always change that to a 2 hour stop, which would be easier than changing a 2 hour stop to a 2 day one.

I really just want to see another city, if even for a day (less than 24 hours since that would not be a stopover and would avoid the change fee). Since this is a partner award, it looks like my options from PRG are IST, MAD, DUB, LON, and HEL (the latter 3 sure would be fun in early January).

Does just adding segments (and no stopover) also require a change fee?

Thanks.
1. You can change the return segments without affecting the outbound segments.
2. Booking originally with stopovers that you may not use can obviate a subsequent change fee; however, you will be subjecting yourself to additional airport taxes. Depending upon the airport and class of service (e.g. LHR & FC), you could find yourself paying taxes exceeding the change fee.
3. Changing segments, carriers, routings and/or stopovers would subject you to a change fee.

I believe that JonNYC posted an excellent thread (sticky) with lots of this information, comprehensively presented. Definitely worth reading.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by pdb
1. You can change the return segments without affecting the outbound segments.
2. Booking originally with stopovers that you may not use can obviate a subsequent change fee; however, you will be subjecting yourself to additional airport taxes. Depending upon the airport and class of service (e.g. LHR & FC), you could find yourself paying taxes exceeding the change fee.
3. Changing segments, carriers, routings and/or stopovers would subject you to a change fee.

I believe that JonNYC posted an excellent thread (sticky) with lots of this information, comprehensively presented. Definitely worth reading.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that just changing the return routing from PRG-ZRH-MIA-DCA to PRG-ZRH-BOS-DCA on a different day would have the change fee. Good to know about being able to keep the outbound even when reissuing the ticket to change the return.

As for the sticky, I believe that the thread we're posting to now is that thread. I've read the entire thing and still had a few questions. This thread is certainly worth bookmarking as it's one of the most useful. Always good to know the rules before calling AA so as to avoid wasting time.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 6:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
How strict is AA with the enforcement of the connecting rules? Any exceptions for Elite members?

I'd like to book HEL-JFK-SFO-JFK-HEL with a stopover at JFK on my return flight. But I would like to spend the night in JFK on my inbound flight as well, since the whole HEL-SFO flight is soooo long.

The HEL-JFK flight arrives at 4pm at JFK and there are connections to SFO the same day. Is there any chance they will let me take a flight the following morning (under 24 hrs, anyway)?

The carriers would be AY and AA, J class.

If anyone has experience on the enforcement practice, I'd be grateful!
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:49 am
Suspended

I don't know how strictly AA enforces the rule. But the rule is as follows: Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:14 pm

Something similar but cheaper

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
I'm planning a F award BKK-IPC (Easter Island). It seems to be 90K - Asia 2 to South Pacific. Not really familiar with the rules (and BKK office probably isn't either), so a few question I hope somebody could answer.

I'd prefer to route

BKK-HKG CX F
HKG-SYD CX F
SYD-AKL LA F
AKL-PPT TN F
PPT-IPC LA C (no F on this flight)

Will AA try force me to take BA/QF nonstop instead of CX? Also, do I need to take the nonstop TN flight from SYD?

Thanks in advance.

I just booked, (not ticketed) to B/C seats between HKG - SYD - SYD- SIN- SIN-HKG. They quoted me for 70K miles each. Per Jon's posting this seem a valid routing the SIN is an overnight, although I would like to make it a stop over but am not sure if I could do it. Also the award is akward cause I don't see within AA an award for 70K miles but for 75 and then the oneworld award. Reservation quoted award PE70 or something like that.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:44 am

Is Bermuda an allowed North American stopover if flying BA on a U.S. to Europe partner award? All I see is a limitation that says no stopovers are allowed in Mexico or the Caribbean on this route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.