Plat Challenge Help

Old Jun 6, 05, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Question Plat Challenge Help

First time poster. Love this website, signed up for Gold Challenge last month, Kin-Mia-Jfk-Lhr-Kbp roundtrip. So now I'm back in Gold.
I am taking a roundtrip Kin/Mia/Gru/Asu which unfortunately starts on the 15 June. I want to sign up for Plat challenge, but wont make the 10k for the 16th because the Mia-Gru leg starts on the 15th. the rest of the trip falls about 4k short. I'm not sure I will make up the additional 4k within the 90 days.
What happens if you sign up for a Plat challenge and dont make it?
Should I just sign up from the 1st of June and accept the Plat thru March '06 which will downgrade to Gold? Can I try for Plat challenge again after Mar '06?
Would appreciate some guidance.
Old Jun 7, 05, 12:07 am

Programs: AA GLD
If you don't make the challenge, nothing will happen, but you won't be able to start a new challenge until that one has ended. (I think you are only able to change your challenge starting date if you haven't had a qualifying flight within that period.) As for going for the challenge starting June 1, if you don't believe you can maintain your gold status for this year, then taking the challenge would guarantee your gold status through 2/07; on the other hand, a mileage run would help you pick up those last 4k points if you start on June 16, and you'd have platinum until 2/07 and gold through 2/08.

A few posters have claimed success with multiple platinum challenges, but there is no evidence that this is the rule and not the exception..
Old Jun 7, 05, 12:43 am
Original Poster

I know that I can maintain my Gold - it's Plat that I'm after. Mileage runs from Jamaica are very expensive - and I will need 4k additional by Sep 15th - all because of one day. It's a shame I found this site after I booked the trip.
Old Jun 7, 05, 3:48 am

Programs: AA, LH, others
Originally Posted by dippyed
I know that I can maintain my Gold - it's Plat that I'm after. Mileage runs from Jamaica are very expensive - and I will need 4k additional by Sep 15th - all because of one day.
Any chance you can change your travel dates? That way you could start on June 16 and would only have to pay the change fee. Might be worth considering instead of an additional MR.

Originally Posted by dippyed
It's a shame I found this site after I booked the trip.
At least you found the right place now.

Stick around and welcome to flyertalk, dippyed.
Old Jun 7, 05, 5:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA AAll the wAAy!!
Do flights on other OW partners count?

Nice to see another Flyertalker from Jamaica!

I am to do KIN-LGW-KIN in BA Club World in August, would this count towards the AA platinum challenge?
Old Jun 7, 05, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately changing the date is not a possibility as its a hunting trip with 6 others and we have domestic connections within Paraguay.
Old Jun 7, 05, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by Flyaway
Nice to see another Flyertalker from Jamaica!

I am to do KIN-LGW-KIN in BA Club World in August, would this count towards the AA platinum challenge?
All airlines which earn q-miles/q-points count towards the challenge. This includes OW airlines and AS. I think that's it, but could be wrong... You can look up this info for specific airlines at AA.com.

Search this Thread