FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Upgrades to LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/440532-upgrades-lax.html)

dspringer28 Jun 6, 2005 12:25 pm

Upgrades to LAX

Does anyone have any experience with the 5:47 pm 763 DFW-LAX as far as stickers go? This seams like a pretty premium route, and if I have little chance of an upgrade as a PLT I might just buy F (well, A). Thank you!

jsm Jun 6, 2005 12:28 pm

Day and date?

Blumie Jun 6, 2005 12:42 pm

And what's the incremental cost of A?

chsb Jun 6, 2005 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28
Does anyone have any experience with the 5:47 pm 763 DFW-LAX as far as stickers go? This seams like a pretty premium route, and if I have little chance of an upgrade as a PLT I might just buy F (well, A). Thank you!

I flew the 410p 763 on Friday and got upgraded at the gate. I did check in 24 hr prior to the flight to ensure that I would at least be at the top of the upgrade list within the PLT status. When I got to the airport I was #1 on the list and that never changed and I got the second to the last seat on the plane. It was close because had I not gotten the seat I would have probably had to check one of my bags.

TrojanHorse Jun 6, 2005 2:07 pm

Generally flying Westbound on Sundays/Mondays I find this particular flight difficult for the ExP u/g

dspringer28 Jun 6, 2005 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Generally flying Westbound on Sundays/Mondays I find this particular flight difficult for the ExP u/g

Well, it's a Monday westbound, so that's too bad.

Thanks for the input!

r3guru Jun 6, 2005 6:23 pm

Regular commitment or one time affair ?

I flew DFW-LAX-DFW weekly for 2 years until February. Some of that time as PLT. PLT upgrades rarely came thru automatically for Monday AM and Thu PM both in 767. An early check-in, and get-onto the upgrade list when it opens at the airport is your best bet - IF you don't get the UPG, get row 17.

As EXP it came thru before, but rarely at 100hrs.

AA53 Jun 6, 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28

I fly this route quite a bit. (A) fares are cheap and a sure thing. It beats waiting around for an upgrade if its important to you.

Jakebeth Jun 6, 2005 11:02 pm

Upgrades? ORD > LAX || LAX > DFW?

Does anyone have upgrade insight on these 767 flights?
455 @ 3pm (on a Monday) from ORD to LAX
2434 @ 10:03am (on a Monday) from LAX to DFW
Is there a conventional wisdom on any of these (LAX to/from ORD/DFW) routes with regard to aircraft type and upgrade liklihood? I thought perhaps I'd have a better shot if I were to choose an MD-80 at a particular time over the 767 for the same reasons I'd rather ride the Boeing, but I couldn't seem to make out any particular logic by looking at the available seats, etc.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I've got to fly these routes from time to time and I'd love to have a strategy.

MIKESILV Jun 7, 2005 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Does anyone have upgrade insight on these 767 flights?
455 @ 3pm (on a Monday) from ORD to LAX
2434 @ 10:03am (on a Monday) from LAX to DFW
Is there a conventional wisdom on any of these (LAX to/from ORD/DFW) routes with regard to aircraft type and upgrade liklihood? I thought perhaps I'd have a better shot if I were to choose an MD-80 at a particular time over the 767 for the same reasons I'd rather ride the Boeing, but I couldn't seem to make out any particular logic by looking at the available seats, etc.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I've got to fly these routes from time to time and I'd love to have a strategy.

As you are perhaps aware AA455 is the only 763 flying ORD/LAX and is a 2 class service.
I have taken that flight four times so far this year, twice on a Monday and twice on Tues and everytime my upgrade has cleared close to the 72 hour mark ( I am plat)
I would think but cant be certain that becuase of the larger number of seats and being later in the evening the 763 would be easier to upgrade.

I have no experience with the DFW flight.

mike

Jakebeth Jun 7, 2005 10:59 am

Thanks much Mike -

Yes - I've picked that flight because of the larger first/business inventory (and better seats). I was just worried that perhaps it might be a much more popular flight with elites for those reasons, and that perhaps I'd face a bigger chance of getting squeezed out by the EXPs at 100 hours out. (I'm Plat too now.)

Your msg is much appreciated.