FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   What is your favorite Flagship Suite seat and why? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/440366-what-your-favorite-flagship-suite-seat-why.html)

CharlesMD Jun 6, 2005 2:19 am

What is your favorite Flagship Suite seat and why?

Just wanted to ask everyone what their favorite FS seat is and why? In my case I prefer the window seats, although the first row can be kind of annoying as it is near to the galley. The last row is the quietest IMO-- you don't have the FAs stomping up and down past you as much-- although it kind of messes things up on even flights with FEBO. The center seats, second from front can be a pain as the oxygen/first aid equipment (?) is in the overhead bin and it's hard to put your carry on there. Also, I don't understand why the pilots always get 1A? Can't they go back to that big rest area in front of row 30 in coach?

Is F still overcatered by 110%? To what degree are entrees between J and F shared (i.e. if there are 3 steaks in F and 4 people want them do they go and snag one from J)?

RTW4 Jun 6, 2005 6:05 am

My favorite seat is 1J. Love the privacy and the easy access to restroom..... Incidentally I did not know that first is overcatered by 10%

DFW DL Jun 6, 2005 7:31 am

I will agree that 1J is the best if traveling solo...like having one's own private cabin. While I agree that there is a lot of FA foot traffic, IMO there is much less noise and light pollution than 4A/J. The FAs working the forward galley are those who work FC, and they tend to be a little more considerate of their pax than the BC FAs in the mid galley, for whom disturbing the FC pax sometimes seems a bit of a sport.

I've always assumed that the entrees are shared between FC and BC...I always sit in 1J when its available and have never been denied an entree choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but it makes more sense to give the FC pax their choice and let the BC pax take their chances.

PresRDC Jun 6, 2005 8:12 am

I prefer 3J.

I like being on the right hand side of the plane as your view out during boarding is not obstructed by the jetway and, when flying into JFK (my usual airport), you are on the best side to appreciate the Canarsie approach to Runway 13L, with its dramatic low altitude turn onto short final (closest I'm getting to the Kai Tak experience). Row 3 is reasonably well situated for FEBO and is not right next to the J Galley, which, as noted above, is often a source of noise. It is also further from the F bathrooms.

It also makes the best advance seat assignment in that it is a good hedge against the lack of predicability about configuration. Seat 3J is a very good seat on the Coffin 777s as it is by the window (good for me), has a personal storage locker and, as Seatguru notes, is the only row not diretly near a noise source. Of course, there is no guarantee that that seat assignment will stick if the configuration changes, but it is the best you can do.

JohnMD Jun 6, 2005 11:02 am

Originally Posted by DFW DL
I will agree that 1J is the best if traveling solo...like having one's own private cabin. While I agree that there is a lot of FA foot traffic, IMO there is much less noise and light pollution than 4A/J. The FAs working the forward galley are those who work FC, and they tend to be a little more considerate of their pax than the BC FAs in the mid galley, for whom disturbing the FC pax sometimes seems a bit of a sport.

I've always assumed that the entrees are shared between FC and BC...I always sit in 1J when its available and have never been denied an entree choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but it makes more sense to give the FC pax their choice and let the BC pax take their chances.

I strongly prefer 1J when traveling solo. I love the privacy of this seat and the view! I have noticed that the FA in First class are MUCH quieter and respectful to the passengers then those in J.

Blumie Jun 6, 2005 11:06 am

IJ for me, too. I love the privacy and the view, and have never been bothered by any galley noise.

My worst experience was in 4A. The noise from the J galley right behind was pretty bad. (Compounding this problem was the fact that this DFW-FRA flight had a very large number of AA employees traveling on business, a number of whom gathered in the J galley with the FAs to yak throughout the flight.)

ijgordon Jun 6, 2005 9:27 pm

I prefer 2 or 3 A/J, as I feel 1 is too close to the lavs/galleys. I also like to see a little bit what's going on in the cabin.

And how are they supposed to cater a flight at 110%??? Load 17.6 meals? I'd hate to be the one to get three-fifths of a filet.

bbkenney Jun 6, 2005 11:24 pm

I prefer 3J, 2J is fine too.
Also usually a good hedge against switch to coffin seats which, while disappointing, is not exactly the end of the world especially if its a non bulkhead window (IMHO)

I usually take the daylight flight 90 ORD LHR but sometimes, in the middle of summer, I take the DFW-LGW nonstop and try for 2 or 3 on the "A" side. Something fascinating about looking across the top of the world at the daylight that is "tomorrow".

Best Lav: The HUGE (we are talking airplane relative terms here) Lav on starboard side, just aft of boarding door. Its technically in Biz cabin but nobody has ever said a word. You could hold a small meeing in there....I havent but you could.

whirledtraveler Jun 7, 2005 5:48 am

Originally Posted by CharlesMD
Just wanted to ask everyone what their favorite FS seat is and why? In my case I prefer the window seats, although the first row can be kind of annoying as it is near to the galley. The last row is the quietest IMO-- you don't have the FAs stomping up and down past you as much-- although it kind of messes things up on even flights with FEBO. The center seats, second from front can be a pain as the oxygen/first aid equipment (?) is in the overhead bin and it's hard to put your carry on there. Also, I don't understand why the pilots always get 1A? Can't they go back to that big rest area in front of row 30 in coach?

:rolleyes: :D I've had it. I don't know how the rest of you cope with all of this. This is yet another case where special things happen to special posters. Somebody needs to do something about this! :mad: :D

pAArshooter Jun 7, 2005 7:04 am

It used to be 1J. I never found it to be that noisy and the windows are the best of the rows. However, given the unpredictability of suites v. coffins lately, I've started to select 3J in the event of what is now an inevitable last minute change from suites to coffins.

UncleDude Jun 7, 2005 8:20 am

2J or 3J based on FEBO. I am right handed and its easier and one simple move to lift the Champagne Glass, also with the Table on the right I feel more comfortable than sharing the small seperation drinks area if as usually happens to me its changed to a coffin.

AAJunkie Jun 7, 2005 8:29 am

Sad to say...

This EXP has never sat in F on a 3 class aircraft :( :o :rolleyes:

brp Jun 7, 2005 8:38 am

Originally Posted by AAJunkie
Sad to say...

This EXP has never sat in F on a 3 class aircraft :( :o :rolleyes:

It's tough to admit something like that. But, since the confessions are coming out- the only time I did this was a cheat- it was on a domestic 777 (MIA-DFW) where business is sold as coach, and first is obtained with a sticker upgrade from coach. So, I sat in the FC section on a "3-class" a/c, but it was a 2-class service. Only time.

I guess a lot of people here buy F, or buy business (I is pretty commonly-mentioned) and then upgrade into F. For some flights I've looked at recently, it was about $700 or so for coach (then VIP to Bus), vs. ~$2500 for Bus, with the possible VIP to First. For me, anyway, the seat/food differences are not worth the 3-4x price. Of course, sometimes there are really good 'I' deals posted here that may be worth it. This is a definite YMMV.

Cheers.

pauleeepaul Jun 7, 2005 8:50 am

Originally Posted by brp
I guess a lot of people here buy F, or buy business (I is pretty commonly-mentioned) and then upgrade into F. For some flights I've looked at recently, it was about $700 or so for coach (then VIP to Bus), vs. ~$2500 for Bus, with the possible VIP to First. For me, anyway, the seat/food differences are not worth the 3-4x price. Of course, sometimes there are really good 'I' deals posted here that may be worth it. This is a definite YMMV.

Cheers.

I fares are not upgradable, unfortunately. :(

If you can justify a full J ticket a good travel agent can get you a gratis upgrade to F. :)

Or hope for an op up. :D

brp Jun 7, 2005 9:03 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I fares are not upgradable, unfortunately. :(

Shows how many 'I' fares I buy. Thanks for the correction.

Cheers.