EXPs - fly Cathay to Asia!!!

Old Jun 5, 05, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
EXPs - fly Cathay to Asia!!!

Today was my first flight on CX 710 (SIN-HKG) and the FAs made all the difference. ( It was accidental as I missed my UA flight as I was paper ticketed and forgot the tickets ! )

Every FA in J addressed me by my name. Pretty good for a 31/2 Hour flight.
The team leader came over and asked me where I was flying and asked me to let her know if there was anything specific I needed.
I mentioned this was my first ever flight on CX.
Close to the end of the flight, I was given a little gift from CX "...as it is your first flight with us".
An FA actually picked up something from my back polo shirt while I was seated.

This is a marked difference to my flight on AA from LHR last month. They double booked me (and another person) on the same seat in J. I waited patiently for about 15mts in the galley between F&J while they tried to find me another seat. While waiting there the ground agent came in and shouted - yes shouted at me for waiting near F when I should be in my seat. Very close to taking off ,they found me a seat. No Apology, nothing.

I've taken very few domestic flights as EXP as well, not a single upgrade so far.

No wonder I have tried to avoid AA this year and althought it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, it feels very good to have denied them at least $15K in revenues by flying other airlines. I will barely fly 20K miles on AA while I have already flown 70K on others this year.
Old Jun 5, 05, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Now you see why I like qualifying for EXP with 4 AA segments, BOS-JFK twice, just to connect to CX at JFK. Slightly OT, but relevant, I've just spent a couple of days at the Oriental in Bangkok, and Mrs. Pickles and I concluded that in the US, no amount of money would get you the level of service a place like the Oriental provides. It just doesn't happen. Sad but true.
Old Jun 5, 05, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Now you see why I like qualifying for EXP with 4 AA segments, BOS-JFK twice, just to connect to CX at JFK. Slightly OT, but relevant, I've just spent a couple of days at the Oriental in Bangkok, and Mrs. Pickles and I concluded that in the US, no amount of money would get you the level of service a place like the Oriental provides. It just doesn't happen. Sad but true.
At the Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong, and I second that sir. Free fruit, hot water kettle (for people who have tried to make tea using a coffee, maker, you know how that feels) and lots more.
Old Jun 5, 05, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore
At the Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong, and I second that sir. Free fruit, hot water kettle (for people who have tried to make tea using a coffee, maker, you know how that feels) and lots more.
Are you there now? So am I! Club floor, but garden view. Only because Mrs. Pickles likes the lounge. Personally, I'd take the Diamond upgrade to a harbourview over the Club. But she leaves Tuesday, so I'll ask them to send me to the plebe floors with a harbourview.
Old Jun 5, 05, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Are you there now? So am I! Club floor, but garden view. Only because Mrs. Pickles likes the lounge. Personally, I'd take the Diamond upgrade to a harbourview over the Club. But she leaves Tuesday, so I'll ask them to send me to the plebe floors with a harbourview.
Yes, but on the 14th floor. The view is great from here too, but no status on Hyatt, no upgrades.
Old Jun 5, 05, 9:08 am

but not in Y

You might have a different reaction to flying CX in Y. I just sent them a complaint letter regarding seat pitch and size, lack of AC in the rear cabins on the ground, and yes a rude flight attendant. I was surprised and dont complain a lot but I might not fly them again. From my perspective they are really really bad in Y.
Old Jun 5, 05, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways
Economy CX is the pits - 31" seat pitch. Avoid if possible.
Old Jun 5, 05, 3:52 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, AA Gold [1MM]; SPG Gold
CX Economy is not that bad...

... and their service is far superior to anything I have ever experienced on AA.

I recently flew HKG - TPE - HKG - PEK on CX in Y, and on two of the four flights was approached by the flight service director who introduced herself and thanked me for flying CX. I asked her why she aproached me, and she said because I was PLAT on AA.

AA does NOT recognise their own elites as much as CX, so despite Y being a little on the small side (and AA is approaching that with LRTC), at least the inflight service is better than anything I have ever experienced on AA.

Frankly, being an American-born, African-raised person from Asia who is now living in Europe, American customer service, especially on airlines (well, at least AA) is superbly BAD.
Old Jun 5, 05, 3:57 pm

If you're tall (or wide), Economy on CX will be pretty tight for you. But for me, I'm 5'5" and felt quite comfortable sitting in the seat. I liked their footrest, and their entertainment system rocks. I didn't feel that bad sitting in the back (65H on a 777)...it just takes a while to deplane.

I didn't receive much service from the FAs though, but I didn't expect much. They served me food and I was happy. I guess I'm easy to please.
Old Jun 5, 05, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by davistev
Economy CX is the pits - 31" seat pitch. Avoid if possible.
Recently flew NRT-HKG Y was bulkhead so cannot comment on other seats but the service was phenomenal, FAs were so polite and kept asking me if all is OK. To start I arrived late at NRT (AA) they were waiting for me with a sign and led the way to the aircraft.
Old Jun 5, 05, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat + 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle.
Something you'll never see on domestics

I have taken the CX flight YVR-JFK a couple times and was surprised to see the flight attendant all decked out with gloves and cleaning supplies and head into the lavs. Not just once, but a few times. This was in Y. I was amazed and can only believe that a domestic flight attendant would probably file a grievance before you finished the sentence if they were asked to clean the lavs in-flight. The seats were cramped, but the IFE is great, the food was excellent and the service was fantastic. I was also very surprised when the purser cam and addressed me by name and thanked me for flying with them. We are flying back from Asia on CX this fall in J and I am looking forward to the flight as much as the trip.

Rothsix
Old Jun 6, 05, 9:22 am

Location: DFW TX - DL MM/SM, AA 4MM/CK, BA/UA Silver, Kingfisher (RIP) Plat, MR LT PP
The OP's experience matches mine on CX. No matter where I'm sitting, the purser always comes by to welcome me by name and thank me for flying CX. It must be part of their SOP to recognize oneworld elites in this manner, and it's simply good business to do so.

On one flight, I was so tired that I was asleep before takeoff and slept through most of the flight. The purser pulled me aside during deplaning and apologized for not being able to greet me!

CX is definitely this EXP's choice for travel to or within Asia.
Old Jun 6, 05, 11:44 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
To confirm the above - today I flew LAX-NRT (AA) and NRT-PEK (JL) as my schedule didn't allow me to take my normal CX flight out of LAX. What a difference in service and attitude - oh how I regret not taking CX.

Search this Thread