Adam Corolla from Loveline: Angry about the Soy Nuts on AA

Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Talking Adam Corolla from Loveline: Angry about the Soy Nuts on AA

I was listening to the show this evening and Adam was discussing nuts with one of the guests. He then starts talking about the nuts he receives when flying and makes a point that he always flies paid first class. When he gets to AA, he goes ballistic on the soy nuts and starts discussing how much more he paid to fly F rather than Y, so AA should get rid of the crappy soy nuts.

Glad to see these pieces of packing material getting some much-deserved negative press from someone who does fly paid F!

For those of you unfamiliar with Loveline, here's a link:

http://www.rock101wgir.com/loveline.html
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget that AA seems to be positioning itself as the carrier of choice of the trailer-park set. Adam does not fit this demographics, so his nationwide comments won't made an ounce of difference--if he's paying for his flights, he should fly the flat-beds transcon seats of UA instead.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
On 95% of my flights, the FAs make comments such as "they are supposed to save us money, but our passengers are not eating them at all."

I mean, US airlines complain that we don't pay for F, but there is just no incentive these days unless you don't value your money. On a 1.5 hr flight, Emirates serves more food in Business Class than AA does in F.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:28 am

I also feel strongly about the soy nuts. They are just disgusting.
The nuts used to be wonderful with some red wine, sometimes I'd ask for seconds. Now I peck around the soy nuts and wince when I accidentally each one. I'm not usually a fussy person honestly, but this change does not agree with me at all.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by benoit
I also feel strongly about the soy nuts.
So do I...I greatly prefer them to the other nuts in the mix. Just want to make the point that it's not unanimous on the soy nuts...some of us actually like them.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 2P; AAGold;HHonors Diamond
Exclamation

Let us not forget that peanuts are a deadly allergen... soy nuts, while still an allergen, are not nearly as dangerous. From a litigation standpoint, a few grumpy EXP's (who are very unlikely switching airlines over nuts) aren't nearly as risky as the small chance that one person dies of a peanut allergy on board and AA gets a big fat wrongful death bill.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kedcr22
Let us not forget that peanuts are a deadly allergen... soy nuts, while still an allergen, are not nearly as dangerous. From a litigation standpoint, a few grumpy EXP's (who are very unlikely switching airlines over nuts) aren't nearly as risky as the small chance that one person dies of a peanut allergy on board and AA gets a big fat wrongful death bill.
The soy nuts did not replace peanuts. Peanuts have not been part of the nut mix since at least 2001, when I made my first AA premium flights.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:40 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Originally Posted by kedcr22
That would be relevant if their motivation for introducing the soy nuts was fear of litigation. Almost overwhelming however, the consensus is that they simply wanted to reduce costs.

I for one, actually like the Soy Nuts. There's still plenty of delicious "normal" nuts in the ramekin, and the soy nuts are a healthier filler.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Different strokes for different folks... This week I flew J Class on AA with my 17 year old daughter LAX - JFK/return... Being the glutton that I sometimes am, I ate all the nuts, misguidedly assuming that the healthiness of the soy nuts "balanced out" the other nuts in the mix... On the other hand, my slim & trim teenager picked at the mix, eating only the soy nuts that were easy to see.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by thagale
I for one, actually like the Soy Nuts. There's still plenty of delicious "normal" nuts in the ramekin, and the soy nuts are a healthier filler.
Same here.

Plus I'm still a travel newbie, so I spend most of my time in discounted coach anyway. Soy nut mix > pretzels.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by Spiff
I was listening to the show this evening and Adam was discussing nuts with one of the guests. He then starts talking about the nuts he receives when flying and makes a point that he always flies paid first class. When he gets to AA, he goes ballistic on the soy nuts and starts discussing how much more he paid to fly F rather than Y, so AA should get rid of the crappy soy nuts.

Glad to see these pieces of packing material getting some much-deserved negative press from someone who does fly paid F!

For those of you unfamiliar with Loveline, here's a link:

http://www.rock101wgir.com/loveline.html
Hello Spiff. Just as an aside, I had Adam on an AA flight on a transcon earlier this year. He was dressed "Hollwood"...shades, hat. Was in front of forward cabin.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Hello Spiff. Just as an aside, I had Adam on an AA flight on a transcon earlier this year. He was dressed "Hollwood"...shades, hat. Was in front of forward cabin.
Awesome!! Would have loved to flown w/him.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Soy is not a nut

This is starting to annoy me as much as having the darn things: soy is not a nut!

A "nut" is defined as 1. An indehiscent, hard-shelled, one-loculated, one-seeded fruit, such as an acorn or hazelnut. 2. A seed borne within a fruit having a hard shell, as in the peanut, almond, or walnut. 3. The kernel of any of these.

Soy is a bean, and is a legume, like a bean. So let's at least call the things the correct way: they are nothing more than toasted soybeans.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 3, 2005 at 11:05 am
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Funny. I flew the other week with the guy from Fear Factor (I forget his name). He was also dressed Hollywood... Big Black shades, hat pulled low, no meal, no drink.. etc.

I fly every week, and I cant see why I would want to wear shades on the plane.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I love the show. He has also complained in the past about the TSA security at JFK when flying AA. And, he periodically makes disparaging comments about Southwest as well.

But he does make it clear that he flies AA for transcon, and he definitely pulls no punches when it comes to criticizing the service (though he only does that once every few months from what I've heard).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.