FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Salt'n Pepper shakers - a farewell ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/439556-saltn-pepper-shakers-farewell.html)

r3guru Jun 2, 2005 10:14 pm

Salt'n Pepper shakers - a farewell ?

Are they gone? The petie pair of shakers seem to have suffered the same fate as the choice of salad dressing. They seem to have been replaced with the little paper packets.

andrzej Jun 2, 2005 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by r3guru
Are they gone? The petie pair of shakers seem to have suffered the same fate as the choice of salad dressing. They seem to have been replaced with the little paper packets.

Is this observation based on 1 flight or at least 3-4? I Still had the shakers about a week ago, on 4 different segments.

If it is 1 flight then maybe it's possible that catering messed up, they were out, something, etc......

r3guru Jun 2, 2005 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
Is this observation based on 1 flight or at least 3-4? I Still had the shakers about a week ago, on 4 different segments.

If it is 1 flight then maybe it's possible that catering messed up, they were out, something, etc......

Just 2 since June 1, your right I am jumping to conclusion.

Though I don't ever remember not having the shakers on any flight in F in the last few years, and now twice in two days.

andrzej Jun 2, 2005 10:50 pm

Just 2 since June 1, your right I am jumping to conclusion.

Though I don't ever remember not having the shakers on any flight in F in the last few years, and now twice in two days.

Hey, I didn't say I was right. My last 2 segments were on 5/24. You could be correct if AA decided to pull the plug on shakers starting 6/1. Who knows these days?

OT. Did catering reuse these things? They are refillable, but it seems like a labor intensive job?

sam123 Jun 2, 2005 11:54 pm

At least on the transcons AA20 on 5/31 and AA177 on 6/1 the regular mini-shakers were catered. They also had two choices of salad dressing.

Sami

tazi Jun 3, 2005 4:15 am

Last Friday on BWI-MIA I got the paper packets. Really surprised me as I had never seen them used before. Pretty lame if you ask me. This was a snack flight. Don't know if that makes a difference. Has anyone seen them used on a dinner flight?

pauleeepaul Jun 3, 2005 5:04 am

While I am no fan of soy nuts and pillows absentia I recall a thread on the shakers where the consensus was that they were not reused. If so IMHO this is a needless generator of landfill and I would rather use the paper packets. (I'm not a treehugger- just someone who seeks a balance between utility and resources consumed.)

txrus Jun 3, 2005 5:28 am

Originally Posted by tazi
Last Friday on BWI-MIA I got the paper packets. Really surprised me as I had never seen them used before. Pretty lame if you ask me. This was a snack flight. Don't know if that makes a differnce. As anyone seen them used on a dinner flight?

For what it's worth, I had shakers Monday 5/30 on AA 1884 MCO-BOS, but no choice of salad dressing (which I would have really preferred vs. the creamy pepper whatever we got). My mother was with me & got a big kick out of the shakers (she's never flown up front before)-wouldn't be at all surprised if they went home w/her!

shoodawg Jun 3, 2005 5:31 am

Bye bye plastic salt n pepper shakers hello financial responsibility!

msnflyer Jun 3, 2005 6:08 pm

On my outbound and return ORD-RSW flights this week we had salt and pepper shakers.

brp Jun 3, 2005 6:12 pm

Salt and pepper shakers on the international FCO-ORD on 6/2. I was so tired on the midcon ORD-SJC that I don't remember. Going SFO-MIA-SFO today/Sunday. I'll check the transcons :)>

Cheers.

CMK10 Jun 3, 2005 6:28 pm

I had them on my DFW-ONT flight last Sunday, maybe I am cool enough to warrant shakers.

martin33 Jun 3, 2005 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Bye bye plastic salt n pepper shakers hello financial responsibility!

the plastic shakers never were a suitable replacement for the glass ones. sigh.

one packet of salt and pepper is never going to be enough for the bland chicken and turkey surprises...

CloudCoder Jun 3, 2005 11:30 pm

Shakers with dinner meal in FC, DFW-OAK on Friday June 3.

tazi Jun 4, 2005 6:56 am

Originally Posted by martin33
one packet of salt and pepper is never going to be enough for the bland chicken and turkey surprises...

I agree. The paper ones hold a very small amount. You can get better packets at McDonald's.