FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   "JUMPING SHIP" DURING AN ITINERARY (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/438448-jumping-ship-during-itinerary.html)

L84thesky May 31, 2005 11:56 am

"JUMPING SHIP" DURING AN ITINERARY

I have a trip coming up where I'd like to "jump ship" before I complete the final leg of the itinerary. (DEN-LAX-LAS) I'd like to "jump" in LAX to a LAX-MIA/MIA-LAX ticket. (I need to end up in LA after going to Miami, so I'm not worried about getting home to LAS) My question is this...
In the “old” days you weren’t allowed/supposed to book these itineraries.
Do those rules still apply with the “new” fare structures?
I searched thru the rules & regs and can’t find anything remotely addressing this.

My fear is that I’ll book this, just to find out on the day of travel that The AA Computer won’t let me check into one of the flights because of a conflict, and I’ll have to BUY another complete “same-day” fare!

Opinion?
My next move is to call the desk, but I’m not sure I’ll get a straight answer there...
:confused:

FWAAA May 31, 2005 12:03 pm

If you jetison your last segment, AA has several alternatives open to it. Seems to me that AA's C of C is pretty clear on this question, but YMMV.

American specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as:

Back to Back Ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.

Throwaway Ticketing: The usage of roundtrip excursion fare for one-way travel, and

Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:

Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,

Confiscate unused flight coupons,

Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage, or
Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary
http://www.aa.com/content/customerSe...Carriage.jhtml

Bottom line: Do this at your own risk and don't come back here crying if any of the bad things listed above happen to you. :)

L84thesky May 31, 2005 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
If you jetison your last segment, AA has several alternatives open to it. Seems to me that AA's C of C is pretty clear on this question, but YMMV.

Bottom line: Do this at your own risk and don't come back here crying if any of the bad things listed above happen to you. :)

Yeah, I sorta felt like it was too convenient to try. I think I'll still run it by an "Angel" and get an official positon.
BTW, I wouldn't come back crying about something I set myself up for. :D
"Expect the worst and hope for the best..."

CoyoteExecPlatinum May 31, 2005 1:10 pm

I am guessing 2 different itns? If so, I personally would be completely comfortable with it; and have on limited occasions done it. Checked bags, obviously will put the kibash on it real fast.

Maybe to be more comfortable; when exiting the LAX inbound on the way to the LAS inbound, just go to the gate and sniff around for a bump; if there are no bumps; just tell them you dont want to go. They are not (in nearly 100% of the cases) going to charge you any differently.

I dont see the problem here from a practical POV.

Originally Posted by L84thesky
Yeah, I sorta felt like it was too convenient to try. I think I'll still run it by an "Angel" and get an official positon.
BTW, I wouldn't come back crying about something I set myself up for. :D
"Expect the worst and hope for the best..."

chsb May 31, 2005 1:15 pm

I have actually read stories where AA actually tried to strip one of his status for doing a back to back. I had one last year where to get a good fare I had to go from DFW-IAH-ORD-DFW-IAH-DFW. Sense I am the mileage junky I just used it as an excuse to add a few extra miles. My colleague got off in DFW after the ORD flight but didn't have to face any consequences for it. He wasn't an elit however so they may not have paid much attention to him. I wasn't going to chance it.

El Perro May 31, 2005 1:20 pm

I seriously doubt AA or any airline has the software coded to look for this sort of thing.

whirledtraveler May 31, 2005 1:47 pm

Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.
What is this one? Is this when you live near FLL but fly out of MIA to go to say LGA? Or is it when you skip the first leg of an itin?

wma May 31, 2005 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by El Perro
I seriously doubt AA or any airline has the software coded to look for this sort of thing.

Buzz - wrong answer. A couple of years ago I tried to book a back to back on AA and they caught it immediately, wouldn't allow the ticket.

MsEverywhere May 31, 2005 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
What is this one? Is this when you live near FLL but fly out of MIA to go to say LGA? Or is it when you skip the first leg of an itin?

You can't skip the first leg, or they will cancel the remainder of your itin. If you skip an intermediate or final leg like you propose doing, that would qualify.

ricktoronto May 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler

No it is flying to say ORD but buying a ticket via ORD to say Springfield for less than ORD costs since it is a hub, then getting off in ORD and not going on.

danosu77 May 31, 2005 3:01 pm

Don't Do it

On a recent trip, upon boarding the aircraft they scaned by BP, but it did not "take" and the agent did not notice. In flight, when they came to get drink orders the lead FA came and asked who it was, as I was not on the flight. After questioning them about the obvious safety issue, they said that count was off by one prior to leaving, but they figured they miscounted. ( I think that is a little terrifying, but that is AA for you). Since I was not checked into the flight, I figured I should check my return at the gate upon arrival. Sure enough, as I suspected, they had already cxld my return ticket. So in a few hour flight, by not "getting on the aircraft" they CXLD remaining legs. BTW, it took the STATION MGR close to an hour on the phone to get this fixed! They tired to argue that I was never on the aircraft...hello! I was in Tulsa this AM and now, less than 5 hours later I am in PHL...how the He** do you think I got here????

DebBrown May 31, 2005 3:17 pm

On the rare occasion where a similar issue has come up, I've booked my second flight on a different airline. Better to be safe!

Deb

L84thesky May 31, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I solved the problem when I found a DEN-MIA-LAX for resonable $$. BTW, the official answer from the "Angel" at EXP was, "You can't do that..." :rolleyes:

mhpkev May 31, 2005 4:52 pm

Change fee, ha!

I had to change my travel plans coming back from Europe. Was supposed to head to the west coast, but now I needed to be in the midwest. It was cheaper for me to co-terminal in NYC and buy a new multi-city ticket stopping off in the midwest on my way back west. $200 change fee on international fares simply compounds the last minute fare class change. But note that I had no intention of using the last part of my original itin, as it was invalidated after skipping the flight. As a formal travel agent, I know the airlines don't specifically look for this, but if they find it, watch out.

whirledtraveler May 31, 2005 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
No it is flying to say ORD but buying a ticket via ORD to say Springfield for less than ORD costs since it is a hub, then getting off in ORD and not going on.

That's terminating. How can it happen on departure?