FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Why don't F passengers 'button' their napkins? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/438258-why-dont-f-passengers-button-their-napkins.html)

uncle wiggily May 30, 2005 9:52 pm

Why don't F passengers 'button' their napkins?

I realize that this topic is incredibly unimportant in the scale of life’s concerns. That said, I have rarely observed passengers in F using the button part of the napkin. And, of course, there are times when the opening is sewed shut, thusly rendering the button part useless.

But I seem to be the only passenger buttoning the top of my shirt, thusly avoiding ruining the shirt.

Do you, the people who fly F much more than I, think that part of the reason that passengers don’t ‘button’ is that it makes them feel like children? If not, what’s your theory?

The only improvement I can see is if they made the napkin of 100% cotton as opposed to the polyester scratchy product it is now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tummy May 30, 2005 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
I realize that this topic is incredibly unimportant in the scale of life’s concerns. That said, I have rarely observed passengers in F using the button part of the napkin. And, of course, there are times when the opening is sewed shut, thusly rendering the button part useless.

But I seem to be the only passenger buttoning the top of my shirt, thusly avoiding ruining the shirt.

Do you, the people who fly F much more than I, think that part of the reason that passengers don’t ‘button’ is that it makes them feel like children? If not, what’s your theory?

The only improvement I can see is if they made the napkin of 100% cotton as opposed to the polyester scratchy product it is now.

I doubt most people know about the button hole or why it's there.

sfbarry May 30, 2005 9:56 pm

I always button my napkin to my shirt. I'd rather look silly on the plane and arrive with a clean shirt than to spend the day looking silly with a soiled shirt.

MeLike2Travel May 30, 2005 10:02 pm

I always use the button in the napkin as well, and have noticed that I'm usually the only one. I really like that they put those holes there. I'm sure I've saved quite a few shirts by using it.

jeffreyt May 30, 2005 10:02 pm

I've always used the button hole. But then what does this topic have to do with earning AA Miles?

Sam - DFW May 30, 2005 10:15 pm

My seatmate did this the other day. He was somewhat older than me; I had never seen someone do this on the plane; I thought it was old school. I was aware of the button hole, knew it's purpose, but I had never seen someone take AAdvantage of the button hole.

I am MUCH more concerned about the pants. The seating configuration is not ideal and is worsened by a-holes in front of me not putting their chairs forward during the meal. I place my napkin on the sliding tray table, extend it to my person and place it onto my belly. It makes a U-shaped catchers mitt for the food that doesn't seem to stay on the plastic ware. The consistency of the AA food is very hit-or-miss, and I would hate to have a limp vegetable fall off the utensil and into my lap.

That being said, I can’t remember any food landing on the napkin. I guess it’s just some strange phobia I have. Nobody wants a bite from a messy southwestern omelet to end up splattered on their pants.

Sam

PresRDC May 30, 2005 10:29 pm

I do much the same thing, Sam - DFW!

CApreppie May 30, 2005 10:43 pm

I also think that a lot of flyers do not realize it is there and/or do not know what it is.

That said, I don't use them because I tend to be very careful in an airplane when I eat and tend to lean toward the plate as opposed to having the food pass over my clothing. Better safe than sorry.

AAJunkie May 30, 2005 10:45 pm

I always do this.

mvoight May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily

I sometimes do this, however, normal dining etiquette is for to place the napkin on your lap. I am not aware of there being a difference in etiquett when dining aloft.

omegadeal May 30, 2005 11:13 pm

I didn't even know about the button, though I rarely eat on the plane, even if I am in F. Thanks for the tip though!

Obligatory '80s quote...

"...And knowing is half the battle!" :D

panjabi May 30, 2005 11:20 pm

I always button up. One of the posters is correct that this is against "land etiquette". However, I make an exception when aloft because even the upright seating position in F makes it difficult to get that forward incline that would make the chest placement of the napkin necessary.

I have noticed that many flyers want to do this but are embarrassed. Quite often I travel in F from DFW to LGW on business and I normally am the first one to do it. However, more than once, I have seen other flyers see me do it and follow. I guess when they see a mid 30s man dressed in a suit and sitting in F doing it, they dont feel so foolish... :)

HKG_Flyer1 May 30, 2005 11:22 pm

I always do this... I find it strangely gratifying. In fact, I had the pleasure several years ago of instructing an unaccompanied minor, who the FA had placed next to me to keep an eye on, in the correct procedure. I would like to think that he still remembers the protocol.

Are there any other locales where one can encounter these napkins with buttonholes?

Dave Noble May 31, 2005 12:22 am

I never do it , nor have any desire to do so; the etiquette ( as mentioned ) is for napkins to go on a lap and I have buttoning it onto a shirt as much a faux pas as sending back gazpacho soup for being cold

Dave

925 May 31, 2005 12:31 am

I always do it. I never see anyone else do it. Perhaps we should form a club?