Who will make EXP with the fewest number of miles flown on AA?

Old May 27, 05, 6:22 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Who will make EXP with the fewest number of miles flown on AA?

There are many routes to EXP. My route is to fly RTW, purchasing a first class OneWorld ticket. I'll add to that a Cathay ticket ex-CMB in biz, and just float past my 100K EQMs.

I'm going to have a grand total of 4 flights on AA. I've already flown them; LAX-SAL RT and LAX-SJO RT. This is a grand total of 10,052 AA miles. Who can better me by achieving top AA status with even fewer AA miles flown?
Old May 27, 05, 6:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, SD1K, just off the top of my hat, I suspect you will win this one, unless somene gets EXP requal with a couple of round trip AUS-DFW or SAN-LAX flights or the like. Good on ya!

If everything goes smoothly, I'll requal on June 15. Of course, we say YMMV, and others say "Life is what happens while you plan."
Old May 27, 05, 9:04 pm

Might Come Close

SD1K,

I may come close to beating you. I relocated to HK in March. So far I've got about 45k EQM and only 2 flights/2611 miles on AA. The rest have been on CX and QF. I've also got a trip HKG-LHR on BA in a couple of months (I want to try WT+).

If I beat you will depend on my HKG-USA trips the remainder of the year. If I stick with CX direct then I only need 2 more AA segs, but may end up doing AA via NRT in which case you will certainly have less AA than I.

It is odd that the year I expect to hit EXP will probably be my year with the least AA flying...

I suspect next year will I will see lots of AA NRT-USA flights so that I can use my VIPs. I would love and AA ORD-HKG flight.
Old May 30, 05, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There are many routes to EXP. My route is to fly RTW, purchasing a first class OneWorld ticket. I'll add to that a Cathay ticket ex-CMB in biz, and just float past my 100K EQMs.

I'm going to have a grand total of 4 flights on AA. I've already flown them; LAX-SAL RT and LAX-SJO RT. This is a grand total of 10,052 AA miles. Who can better me by achieving top AA status with even fewer AA miles flown?
How do I go about purchasing a RTW oneworld, how many eqm's do you get and what is the restriction on routing, I am assuming , one direction only, hhat is the approx price

thanks
Old May 30, 05, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Roselinda write
How do I go about purchasing a RTW oneworld, how many eqm's do you get and what is the restriction on routing, I am assuming , one direction only, hhat is the approx price

The simplest answer would be to read the sticky threads on the oneworld message board......

The oneworld RTW is a continent based fare sold in 3-4-5 or 6 continent form. Back tracking within a continent is permitted though moving between continents is normally a one-time process. Within each continent you are allowed 4 ticket segments (ex North America where it is 6)

Best deals are purchasing the ticket outside your home continent as there is a special restriction of two stopovers there. Presently Bangkok, Istanbul, Colombo and Cairo seem to be the locations of choice for purchase. But you do have to get there to start the ticket.

Four continent business class tickets run from about US$5000 to about US$8000 depending on the starting location.

A mileage based ticket Global Explorer is also available with the one world alliance ( and its competitors).

Happy wandering

WF
Old May 30, 05, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

Not this year, but last year I made EXP with the minimum 4 flights on AA, two BOS-JFK R/Ts to connect to CX in JFK. Do I win?
Old May 30, 05, 10:28 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Not this year, but last year I made EXP with the minimum 4 flights on AA, two BOS-JFK R/Ts to connect to CX in JFK. Do I win?
**ding**ding**ding**

I suspect we have a winner!

A grand total of 747 miles - amazing, EXP on AA, having flown less than 1000 miles on AA.

I would have had to use my 4 segments flying SAN-LAX-SAN at 109 miles one way to and from BA and CX flights to better that record - but I didn't.
Old May 30, 05, 10:30 pm

Programs: PAL million miler (1.6 M ), AA Platinum ( almost 1 M)
i am a Platinum of AA

with 4 segments LAX-LAS 2 RTrips and it's about 1,000 miles
Old May 30, 05, 10:54 pm
Suspended

**ding**ding**ding**

I suspect we have a winner!

A grand total of 747 miles - amazing, EXP on AA, having flown less than 1000 miles on AA.

I would have had to use my 4 segments flying SAN-LAX-SAN at 109 miles one way to and from BA and CX flights to better that record - but I didn't.
i made EXP this year by flying about 14,000 miles total (not just on AA, on any airline); it is thankfully still a perk through our travel department.
Old May 30, 05, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ehb312
i made EXP this year by flying about 14,000 miles total (not just on AA, on any airline); it is thankfully still a perk through our travel department.
Argh! My butt hurts just reading that!

You better hope that your identity stays secret, or we'll get you at the... at the... nevermind, you're never at ANY airport.

Sami

Search this Thread