DFW Connection Time 36 Min. on Labor Day. Advice?

Old May 23, 05, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
DFW Connection Time 36 Min. on Labor Day. Advice?

Looking for advice on this connection. I know the new faster SkyLink is in operation but should I book the next flight connection between DFW-LAX (about 1 hour later than the one listed below)? Thanks...

New Orleans, LA to Los Angeles, CA:

American Airlines Flight AA1501 on a MD-80
Departs New Orleans, LA (MSY)
Mon, Sept 5 4:55p*1 hr 34 min
Arrives Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) 6:29p

Layover in Dallas/Fort Worth
36 min

American Airlines Flight AA2473 on a MD-80
Departs Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW)
Mon, Sept 5 7:05p*3 hrs 11 min
Arrives Los Angeles, CA (LAX ) 8:16p
Old May 23, 05, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, UA Ag Past 3-time WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,Ntl EmEx
It it were me I'd book the hour later flight. I haven't been to DFW since they new SkyLink, but I always seemed to arrive on one end of the airport with my connection being on the other end, and even when my arrival was on time it was a battle to get to the other gate. Checked bags? I've had issues with bags not making it with an hour connection.

The other problem is at times the DFW-LAX flights are seriously overbooked, especially in the evening. If you miss your earlier connection there might not be any seats on the later flight and you will be stuck in DFW until the morning flight.

You might get lucky where your flight to LAX is a couple of gates down from your arrival gate, or your connection flight arrives next to the Tram Station and your departure is right by the tram station. However it could go the other way and 36 minutes isn't much time at DFW for a connection, and if you factor in delays it gets worse.

Everyone has their own comfort zone in travel, 36 minutes at DFW isn't mine, especially when I could book one an hour later and not have to run and if I'm lucky I'd be the last one to board.
Old May 23, 05, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8M, Marriott PLT, *wood GLD, Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Looking for advice on this connection. I know the new faster SkyLink is in operation but should I book the next flight connection between DFW-LAX (about 1 hour later than the one listed below)? Thanks...

New Orleans, LA to Los Angeles, CA:

American Airlines Flight AA1501 on a MD-80
Departs New Orleans, LA (MSY)
Mon, Sept 5 4:55p*1 hr 34 min
Arrives Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) 6:29p

Layover in Dallas/Fort Worth
36 min

American Airlines Flight AA2473 on a MD-80
Departs Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW)
Mon, Sept 5 7:05p*3 hrs 11 min
Arrives Los Angeles, CA (LAX ) 8:16p
I've done some short connections in DFW (38 min recently, but before the new SkyLink train was in service) and was able to make it, but it's a bit of a gamble. There are a lot of things that can go wrong that will quickly eat up that 36 minute layover. Congestion in the alleyways preventing your inbound flight from reaching it's gate on time is one of my biggest fears with short connections in DFW, not to mention the potential change of terminals to get to your LA departure gate. I would probably opt for the later connection myself.
Old May 23, 05, 9:44 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Its listed as a legal connection (using AA's downloaded timetable which actually lists your MSY departure as 4:57 but arrival is the same).

Legal but stupid. (at least in my 'connect at DFW a lot' opinion)

Um .. your next flight will be boarding 30 minutes before departure. You will be arriving 6 minutes before that! You may have to take the train to another terminal or hoff it to a long way. If you have carry-on you will be boarding very late (almost door-close time) and probably will not find overhead space.

PLUS that day and time will be very busy with everyone going back home on the long weekend.

I have plus and minus faith in DFW. I lucked out last trip .. FLL-DFW-MSP. Arrived at C17 and departed from C19 (as I recall). Had like 50 minutes between flights. The jet-bridge at C17 had a flat tire and we could not get off the plane (eventually brought ramp to the back door - first was last off - but eventually got the jetbridge closer). so my PERFECT connection with plenty of time .. I was almost last on the plane!

To me .. 36 minutes is planned failure!

My opinion. Book the later 8:05pm departure to LAX. Same type plane so no issue. The only difference is no buy-onboard snacks. HEY get something from Dickeys or at the Admirals Club. As long as the fare is the same (Labor day weekend may be sold out already on cheapest fares so that is an issue).

There is the 8:05p, a 10:19pm and 11:02pm to LAX.. you have GOOD backup.

Also, the MSY-DFW flights will be turn-a-rounds. If the inbound is late from DFW (say 20 minutes) your outbound to DFW will be a tad late... so you 36 minutes went even shorter. NOPE .. too close for comfort in my opinion ..
Old May 23, 05, 11:15 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Where are you sitting on the inbound flight? It makes a difference. If you decide to go with the connection, you will hopefully be sitting near the front.

As JGR01 stated, you actually have six miuntes until boarding starts.

Remember, it will be busy, and they may be oversold. If they have people waiting to fly standby, you will lose your seat at the 10 minute mark (right?).

Sam
Old May 23, 05, 8:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
Take the later flight. When you arrive at DFW, if time permits and you have not checked any luggage, head to the earlier flight gate and tell them you'd like to stand by if an aisle or window is avalable.
Old May 23, 05, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
RUN Forest RUN
Old May 24, 05, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Skylink is Running

Quantum improvement, but I still would not count on a 36 minute connection (and its my familiar home airport I know well). On a good day, you land early, the gate is available and your plane pulls right in, and the gates are close or Skylik is next door at both ends. But if anything isn't just perfect, then you're hoping for a middle seat on a late plane.
Old May 24, 05, 11:50 am

Programs: EXP since '98
Talking

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Looking for advice on this connection.
First. Book a room at the DFW HYATT. Second. Be sure to start stretching as soon as you touch down in DFW and before you start your "OJ sprint" from A10 to C37! A good and proper stretch will help you avoid a quad pull...
Old May 24, 05, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Run.

Seriously, I have a high amount of doubt that you'll be able to make your connection, with so many variables. Why risk it? Looking at current flights for the routes you have described (1501 is not in service today [replaced with 1289 w/arrival at 6:29]) shows C11 as an arrival gate and A11 as your departure gate, not an optimal arrangement. This may or may not be reflective of normal ops, but still.

Call AA up and see if you can't be re-accomdated on a later flight. They will probably let you, pending availability, change without penalty (36 minutes is barely a legal connection, even less so at DFW).
Old May 24, 05, 4:03 pm
Suspended

I say go for it. I used SkyLink this morning and it is amazing. Very fast, quiet and, most importantly, smooth. You'll also enjoy the stunning view from 50 feet above the airport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: