Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Is PEK going to be a stopover, too?
Yes it is! Thanks for the note on that.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
I'm at it again - trying to book another OneWorld award using AAdvantage miles! :-)

Here is my proposed routing:

MAD - LHR (Connection) - NBO (Stopover - 1 Month) - LHR (Stopover - 1 Week) - BLR (Open Jaw) / BOM - LHR (Connection) - MAD.

I only really need to travel from London and return there, but incorporated the original MAD - LHR flight to satisfy OneWorld rules of having at least two OneWorld carriers. Hence, my trips to/from Nairobi and India which would have cost me 135k (75k+60k) miles as separate awards will now only cost me 115k as a OneWorld Award.

Here is my situation - the EXP Agent I spoke with insisted that I add LHR - MAD sector as the final one. However, I don't think this is necessary as OneWorld rules clearly state:

[TAB]"Routing: Members may fly unlimited segments and may stop in each city once, but may not connect in the same city more than twice. Passengers may not stopover or connect in the city where travel originated." [/TAB]

There is nothing noted about there being no stopovers/connections in the city where travel ends.

Hence, here is my question - should I just get rid of the final segment, or call back and ask another EXP agent what the actual rules are?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:08 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
If you tossed the last segment (LHR-MAD), you'd be in violation of Section 4.5 (from the OP's notes in the first post). Plus, you'd have two open jaws (see Section 5).
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
LRD,

Thanks for the quick response - I should have read the original notes in more detail (and when I am not so jet-lagged!). Thanks for not flaming me!

I guess I will either buy a cheap LHR - MAD return to save the 20k miles, or book two separate awards.

Thanks again for your insight.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:10 pm

An alternative to going to MAD when you don't need to, is to route the BOM-LHR portion as BOM-(CX)-DXB-(BA)-LHR or even BOM-(CX)-BKK-(BA)-LHR both of which can be reasonable connections.

You will still have to move your origin to some place besides LHR though.
Originally Posted by AAmerican_in_London
I guess I will either buy a cheap LHR - MAD return to save the 20k miles, or book two separate awards.

Thanks again for your insight.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:16 am

I did it, great Experience!

I had the experience with my family last summer of using this reward. We flew:

Kalamazoo to Rome (via JFK & Madrid) AA & Iberia
Rome to Johanesburg (via London) Bristish
Jophanesburg to Cape Town (British)
CApe Town to Marakeesh, Morroco (via Cape Town & London) Bristish
Marakeesh to Madrid (Iberia)
(tool the train to Paris)
Paris to Kalamazoo (via Dublin & Chicago) Air Lingus & AA

It worked great. Do you know if the Skyteam Alliance has a similar award?

CR

Last edited by carlosr; Dec 28, 2005 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:05 am

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Where to Book and How to Book

I need to book JFK-CDG in J using AA miles. Since there is no availability on AA, I wanted to book JFK-LHR on AA (where there is availability) and LHR-CDG on BA.

From reading this thread, it would seem to be 80,000 miles. Can this be done on-line and, if so, via AA and/or BA? (I've looked at both sites and been unable to figure out how to do it).
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:42 am

You can book JFK-LHR-CDG-LHR-JFK, but not with the one world award. That itinerary would cost you 90k miles as a standard "all partners" award. For the OneWorld award, you'll need two One World carriers other than American; presumably BA and IB, but also possibly EI and AY. This isn't so hard to do: JFK-MAD-CDG-LHR-JFK for example, or even JFK-YYZ-LHR-CDG-MAD-LHR-YYZ-JFK if you want to fly BA business across the pond, or even JFK-LHR-CDG-MAD-LHR-JFK on the AA flighs which are open
but no non-stop flights.

These awards, indeed any award which involves a non-AA airline, can't be booked on line; you'll have to call and pay the fee.

Michael

Last edited by WhoME; Dec 29, 2005 at 11:27 am
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
My question would be, I understand the 24 hour connection/stopover rule. However, if you are allowed to change flight dates and times after ticketing, what happens if you change what was originally a connection in HKG to a more than 24 hour stay.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The ticket will have an O or an X indicating stopover or transit. In principle the ticket should be refused for the second flight if it should be preceded by a transit and you cannot demonstrate that it was. Then you would have to reissue the ticket and the ticket agent should refuse since you would be breaking the ticket rules.

So in theory once you have failed to make a transit connection then you have forfeited the remainder of the ticket.

Or at least, that's how I read it.

What you might be able to get away with in practice is another matter entirely.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I think the question is whether changing a connection to a stopover would be a free ticket change, like a date or a time change. I don't know the answer to that.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:06 pm

Finding BA inventory

I am trying to find two seats on BA LHR-DEL between March 24-26. I want J but Y will do. Is there a way to look up BA OW inventory?

The flights are wide open F9/J9/... but there are no award seats available. When does BA release award inventory on this route?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:16 pm

To the best of my knowledge the only ways to look up BA award availability is on BA.com by having a BAEC account or over the phone with AA / BA.

BA have been known to fly with open seats in the cabin without opening award availability. I'd say your chances for that route look tough. YMMV and good luck.

If flying an OW airline is not a must (i.e. not an OW award), then you might be able to use LX to BOM and then S2 for BOM-DEL.

Originally Posted by SJC2ISP
I am trying to find two seats on BA LHR-DEL between March 24-26. I want J but Y will do. Is there a way to look up BA OW inventory?

The flights are wide open F9/J9/... but there are no award seats available. When does BA release award inventory on this route?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:22 pm

I would like to see what happens here too. I have an itinerary coming up where I may be required to try this and I will post the outcome if I try it.
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
I think the question is whether changing a connection to a stopover would be a free ticket change, like a date or a time change. I don't know the answer to that.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:28 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Is this a valid OW routing?

Just got off the phone with AA and have on hold the following itinerary --

LGA-ORD-YYZ (AA) Friday
YYZ-LHR (BA) Friday
LHR-DUB-LHR (EI) Tuesday (day trip)
LHR-JFK (AA) Sunday

This is currently on hold in F for 100K miles. I'm wondering if this violates the stopover in 1 city each time rule. I added the Aer Lingus legs so that I would satisfy the 2 OW airlines other than AA requirement.

I guess when I go to have the ticket issued if it's invalid, the system will alert the agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.