ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:16 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
How can I find first class award availability for JL?
I have purchased both EF and KVS software, but am still not seeing it.
Please advise. Am looking at a OW330F award.
It's the A class on JL flights. It's visible in the regular Flight Availability search on EF and we've added it to the Award/Upgrade search tool as well.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Can I cancel one flight on a OW award

I've already booked a OW award and have used some segments in conjunction with a rtw ticket. I have several OW award segments remaining. My question, can I call AA and cancel a segment without jeopardizing the segments booked afterwards. Or, is this just not possible/advisable.

BTW, I have already used my one and only open jaw allowed in the OW award, if I cancel one segment then, that would be a second open jaw.

I'm thinking I'm out of luck, but I'd like to hear from the experts.

Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:44 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
It's the A class on JL flights. It's visible in the regular Flight Availability search on EF and we've added it to the Award/Upgrade search tool as well.
Actually I was mistaken when I posted this. A is NOT the First Award class, it used to be but isn't anymore. A is the OneWorld RTW First class code as well as the class for employee travel.

We confirmed with JL directly that the award codes for JL are Z/U/P/T and as far as we know partner awards pull from the same classes (we confirmed with AA for reference). Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by startpacking
I've already booked a OW award and have used some segments in conjunction with a rtw ticket. I have several OW award segments remaining. My question, can I call AA and cancel a segment without jeopardizing the segments booked afterwards. Or, is this just not possible/advisable.

BTW, I have already used my one and only open jaw allowed in the OW award, if I cancel one segment then, that would be a second open jaw.

I'm thinking I'm out of luck, but I'd like to hear from the experts.

Thanks.
totally out of luck. sorry. no routing changes permitted at all.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Earned miles on an OW award ticket!!

Folks, I was rather pleasantly surprised to notice that BA posted miles to my AAdvantage account for an OW150C award journey that included the following segments (in business class for the non-intra-UK legs) on BA: YYZ-LHR-MAN-LHR-EDI-LHR-DXB!

What gives? A mistake?? I thought one cannot earn miles while flying with miles?!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by garimell
Folks, I was rather pleasantly surprised to notice that BA posted miles to my AAdvantage account for an OW150C award journey that included the following segments (in business class for the non-intra-UK legs) on BA: YYZ-LHR-MAN-LHR-EDI-LHR-DXB!

What gives? A mistake?? I thought one cannot earn miles while flying with miles?!
yes, it's a mistake.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT - Marriott PLT - National Exec
Points + Pay

I am looking to book a trip to Naidi, Fiji from LAX and was curious as to whether or not anyone here knew if my AA points can be used for Qantas' Points + Pay program? This could be very helpful since I might not have enough points to cover the entire trip but definitly enough to cut down on the cost...

Thanks for any info....
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by LTrainTravels
I am looking to book a trip to Naidi, Fiji from LAX and was curious as to whether or not anyone here knew if my AA points can be used for Qantas' Points + Pay program? This could be very helpful since I might not have enough points to cover the entire trip but definitly enough to cut down on the cost...

Thanks for any info....
The Qantas program is for QFF points only.

AA does not specifically offer points+pay, but you can buy AA miles outright and then use them for your award. There's even a bonus offer on it through July 31.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: A few
Folks. I am trying to make a booking of NYC-LON-MLE. Basically looking at JFK-LHR on AA, then LGW-MLE on BA (or if the anti-trust passes quickly we may even get to do JFK-LHR on BA).

Anyway using all-partner awards this is going to cost us 135k miles each (x4 of us). On the other hand a 9k one world award would be a very significant 80k miles each so a full 55k x 4 cheaper.

Problem is the two non-AA airline requirement. Any tips on how to work around this? I was thinking maybe make a detour to MAD on Iberia, then go back to MAN and fly to NYC that way. But availability from MAN is poor and it tends to just reroute through LHR which I think will break the passing through same city rule again.

Any creative suggestions on getting around this limit? 220k miles is a big difference

WOW I am sorry - I am being a dumb***! I was thinking of OW mileage. This routing would be in the 18-20k total mileage, so 130k miles in biz... so may as well stick with the all partner award... so have to do some more aa mile saving Sorry for the stupid questions

Last edited by ma91pmh; Jul 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:32 am

actually using ow award may still be best... is this a valid routing though? sorry i find the rules pretty confusing...

JFK-LHR-(ground)-LGW-MLE-LGW-(ground)-LHR-MAD-(stopover)-JFK ?

I am concerned about the touches in LHR/LGW

This would be an AA/BA/IB combo
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
actually using ow award may still be best... is this a valid routing though? sorry i find the rules pretty confusing...

JFK-LHR-(ground)-LGW-MLE-LGW-(ground)-LHR-MAD-(stopover)-JFK ?

I am concerned about the touches in LHR/LGW

This would be an AA/BA/IB combo
The routing should be fine. You are permitted to connect through LON twice on a oneworld award.

But do you really want to go to Madrid, or are you doing so just to use a second oneworld partner to satisfy the award requirement? If the latter, consider flying LA from JFK to YYZ, and then BA from YYZ to LHR (or the reverse, if you prefer).

Also, if you would rather do an extra connection than do one of the ground transfers between LHR and LGW, consider flying AA from JFK to BDA, and then BA from BDA into LGW (or the reverse).
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:04 pm

yes the mad addition is just to get the carrier requirement, though coming back on iberia's new biz class and stopping over for a couple of days in madrid isn't a terrible thought. but great tip on lan i had no idea they even flew that route.

i'm looking at availability on kvs tool but nothing showing up but on some of the more obscure carriers i'm not sure qantas website picks it up. do you know if it's accurate? this would be perfect as then we could definitely take ba's club world from yyz to london.

bda is a great suggestion too but we probably would not mind too much the lhr/lgw transfer. we have plenty of time in fact a whole day, and we used to live in that part of the world so could quite easily take the time to drop by some old friends for a cup of tea

really good suggestions though, thank you
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:10 pm

one more question.... how far out can you book these? is it 330 days as per other aa awards?

also i read on first page that people have experience of being able to change award class after issue. anyone with recent experience of this? basically on one leg (MLE-LGW) currently only has 2 seats in J and 2 seats in W (premium economy). My hope is if another 2 seats come up in J we could snag them under the award
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Yes, you should be able to book oneworld awards as far ahead as regular AAdvantage awards. And I think if you book a coach segment on a business-class award, you can later rebook in business if award seats become available. But I'll leave it to those on this board who have more experience on oneworld awards to give the definitive answer.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:16 am

Can all the OW award experts let me know if this is doable?

Long Long time lurker (as in years!) and finally posting!!!

Hoping to take a family of 6 on the following itinerary June/July 2011 with a few days in each location:
IAD-MAD (AA)
MAD-AMS (IB)
AMS-LGW (BA)
LHR-IAD (BA)

I think (if I calculated correctly), mileage on this trip is less than 9,000 so I can use a OW award (coach) for 60,000 AA miles/each total trip. Is that correct?

And does this itinerary abide by all the rules (aa plus 2 other carriers)? I'm also a little confused about the BA rule to north america... can we return on BA from LHR to IAD?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.