Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
If you're talking about using AAdvantage miles to get an American Airlines Oneworld award, then the AA flyer talk forum is a better place for a lot of the information you are going to need. There's a dedicated thread for OW awards using AAdvantage miles.

Like you said, date flexibility is key but since you are talking about September and First Class, you're already kind of late in planning for some of the high demand routes I'm afraid. It just depends on luck of the draw.

For First on the A380, that's a little complicated I believe because QF is/was using a new fare code for First Class I believe, I think it books into R as a paid ticket, and I've read that getting an F award to book into an R seat isn't possible, but that was a while back. QF is definitely running the A380 between LHR-SIN so that might be available for you. I think availability is going to be very difficult in any case.

For researching award availability, besides KVS there's also the QF and BA websites. You just have to sign up for the FF programs, the access is granted immediately at no charge, and then you can search for basically all OW award availability as if you were going to use miles in those programs. The experience has been that the availability shown in these sites pretty much exactly matches the OW award availability that AA sees. That has definitely been my direct experience too.

As far as actually booking it, you just call AA and most the AAgents can handle OW award tickets. It is best if you've already researched the award-available flights and if you know the award code (OW280F or whatever). Some AAgents get confused between AA Partner Awards and OW Awards so you might need to clarify that. I did a 16 segment ticket a while back and it only took 20 minutes because I had all the flights lined up and the availability matched exactly what I found on BA.com.

Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
If you're talking about using AAdvantage miles to get an American Airlines Oneworld award, then the AA flyer talk forum is a better place for a lot of the information you are going to need. There's a dedicated thread for OW awards using AAdvantage miles.

Like you said, date flexibility is key but since you are talking about September and First Class, you're already kind of late in planning for some of the high demand routes I'm afraid. It just depends on luck of the draw.

For First on the A380, that's a little complicated I believe because QF is/was using a new fare code for First Class I believe, I think it books into R as a paid ticket, and I've read that getting an F award to book into an R seat isn't possible, but that was a while back. QF is definitely running the A380 between LHR-SIN so that might be available for you. I think availability is going to be very difficult in any case.

For researching award availability, besides KVS there's also the QF and BA websites. You just have to sign up for the FF programs, the access is granted immediately at no charge, and then you can search for basically all OW award availability as if you were going to use miles in those programs. The experience has been that the availability shown in these sites pretty much exactly matches the OW award availability that AA sees. That has definitely been my direct experience too.

As far as actually booking it, you just call AA and most the AAgents can handle OW award tickets. It is best if you've already researched the award-available flights and if you know the award code (OW280F or whatever). Some AAgents get confused between AA Partner Awards and OW Awards so you might need to clarify that. I did a 16 segment ticket a while back and it only took 20 minutes because I had all the flights lined up and the availability matched exactly what I found on BA.com.

Good luck!
Very helpful. Thank you.
Yes, would be using AA miles and likely flying AA, BA, CX and QF.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
While availability may still be tight, QF has abandoned R as first class for a while now. In fact, R is currently Premium Economy, much to the ire of some who booked it thinking it was first
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Since it is an AAdvantage award, with their own rules, I'll move to the AA forum for expert assistance.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list
sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you book

DFW-LHR-DXB-LHR-SYD-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX
for 35K.

am I missing something?

Oh, I see. its a Platinum perk ...
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Bored_Russian, I believe the OP is referring to a OneWorld award, which is calculated in distance. The planned itinerary actually works out to a little over 36,000 miles, which puts it in Zone 9 on the OneWorld award chart and will cost 330,000 AAdvantage miles.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Got it. thanks
I had no idea those chards exist. I think next time I fly to Bali I'll do something like that.
is this only for platinum or gold will do?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:57 pm

Hehe, no status necessary. Only 330k miles in the bank. Also, I'll suggest to the OP if you're okay with coach and pay for the HKG-BKK-HKG legs (2hr 50 min, ~$200 US in October), it'll knock you down to Zone 8 and save 50,000 miles. Wouldn't be able to earn that much flying BIS or with cash for $200, that's for sure.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:03 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
The Good News:
The A380 operates LHR-SIN before continuing to OZ

The Bad News:
You are unlikely to ever find 'P' AKA as 'Z' Class AAward Inventory on a QF A380

IMHO the CX 747 First Cabin is Superior to Qantas A380

Look at MX/BA DFW-MEX-LHR rather than AA DFW-LHR Unless you enjoy an Inferior Intercon Flight

Look at HKG-SFO on a 747 rather than a 777 to LAX

Use the Great Circle Mapper to check your mileage

Register for Asia Miles, Qantas FFC and BAEC for checking award inventory availability in advance

Bookings have to be made with AA by phone, helps if you know that AAward inventory is available on your selected flights in Advance

Finally remember the difference between a Zone 8 and Zone 9 is only 50K AAdvantage Miles, which can often be bought for around a $1000. This gives you an additional 15,000 miles of OneWorld First Class Travel enough for a further First Class RT flight LAX to SYD or a First Class TATL to Europe or South America.^

Last edited by UncleDude; Apr 9, 2010 at 11:16 pm
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:11 pm

UncleDude, how come 747 to SFO over 777 to LAX? I've actually got to make that decision myself for a trip later this year.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:37 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by gluedtothewindow
UncleDude, how come 747 to SFO over 777 to LAX? I've actually got to make that decision myself for a trip later this year.
The CX747 First has a Very Private Cabin Feel, no passing FAs from Business and Coach going to Forward Galley. There are many posts on First 747 vs 777s on CX and BA Forums...needless to say I cant find one at the moment.

Other than FA serving you on CX First there is nobody who need to transit the First Class Cabin. I recall one Poster somewhere on CX counting an incredible number of walk through FA Traffic. Also IMHO the whole 747 First Cabin has a much nicer Ambiance.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by gluedtothewindow
Hehe, no status necessary. Only 330k miles in the bank. Also, I'll suggest to the OP if you're okay with coach and pay for the HKG-BKK-HKG legs (2hr 50 min, ~$200 US in October), it'll knock you down to Zone 8 and save 50,000 miles. Wouldn't be able to earn that much flying BIS or with cash for $200, that's for sure.
Yes, excellent idea! I can handle flying coach...did so several times to supplement my AONE4 last year.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude
The Good News:
The A380 operates LHR-SIN before continuing to OZ

The Bad News:
You are unlikely to ever find 'P' AKA as 'Z' Class AAward Inventory on a QF A380

IMHO the CX 747 First Cabin is Superior to Qantas A380
The CX 747 was my favorite first class experience amongst those I've tried (AA, CX, JL and BA). But I'd like to add the A380 this time around.

Look at MX/BA DFW-MEX-LHR rather than AA DFW-LHR Unless you enjoy an Inferior Intercon Flight
Interesting suggestion, worth considering. I do, however, at this time at least, want to experience AA's 777 first as I still like it.

Look at HKG-SFO on a 747 rather than a 777 to LAX
I flew HKG-LAX on the 747 and it's been one of my best flights ever. I will try to get the 747 again, even if that means SFO(?).

Use the Great Circle Mapper to check your mileage
Great site! ^ It informed me that I was slightly over 35,000 as stated in Post#1.

Register for Asia Miles, Qantas FFC and BAEC for checking award inventory availability in advance
Will do

Bookings have to be made with AA by phone, helps if you know that AAward inventory is available on your selected flights in Advance

Finally remember the difference between a Zone 8 and Zone 9 is only 50K AAdvantage Miles, which can often be bought for around a $1000. This gives you an additional 15,000 miles of OneWorld First Class Travel enough for a further First Class RT flight LAX to SYD or a First Class TATL to Europe or South America.^
Lots to consider...and have never been to SA!!
Thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: A few
I will let you know our experience as we are doing JFK-HKG on 777 and then DPS-HKG-SFO on 747 in June. 747 certainly looks better it is me and mrs ma and we are in the nose at 1a and 1k which look very private, compared to the 3-3 seating of the 777. But still looking forward to experiencing 16 hours of CX F class

Another suggestion for better transatlantic is DFW-YYZ-LHR... take a quick flight up to Canada then do BA first. BA availability in first is generally very good (CW harder to score)
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To agree with some of my fellow members, CX 747 F suite is quite superior to 777 IMO; the 747 F pax are essentially travelling in their small, selective, luxurious elite cabin - the feeling is there is no other aircraft class behind once one enters the cabin.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 10, 2010 at 7:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.