Wiki Posts
Search

Food in Coach from JFK to LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, HP Gold
Question Food in Coach from JFK to LHR?

I'm slummin' it in coach from JFK to LHR and then back to BOS at the end of the week. I conducted a search on FT and looked on the AA site but couldn't find any information about meal service in coach. I didn't want to cough up both the miles and co-pay so I can bring my own food, I guess. Anyone have an answer to this? Thanks in advance, FT is a great resource!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you go to AA.com and enter the cities as if you were going to make a reservation, the list of options that comes back will answer the question. Depending upon the time of day, it says "Breakfast/Snack" or "Breakfast/Dinner". As for what that entails...well, that's a different story .

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
You will be fed on the JFK-LHR flight. Two meals (well one meal and a breakfast snack) in fact.

Assuming you are are on an overnight flight, you will be served dinner after takeoff from JFK. This will consist of a choice of main courses (think beef or chicken), a small side salad, a packaged roll and a dessert (usually a piece of cake). The breakfast snack will consist of a croissant, a bag or raisins and, maybe, a yogurt. Alcoholic beverages cost $5 per drink or 3 GBP. Other drinks are free.

On the return flight to BOS, the main meal will be virtually the same, but you will get a pizza served with a cup of grapes and a cookie as the snack service.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Food in Coach from JFK to LHR?

Simply put, disgusting. I advise you to bring your own

Imagine this for dinner, and this for breakfast.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I flew this route last month. In my opinion, the food was fine, not amazing but certainly edible. The biggest problem was that the portions were TINY. If you're somewhat hungry, it wont be enough. The 2nd meal is usually a dry box snack.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, HP Gold
Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the info. JAGMAP, I think it's a riot that you were incensed enough to take a picture of the meals.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PresRDC
On the return flight to BOS, the main meal will be virtually the same, but you will get a pizza served with a cup of grapes and a cookie as the snack service.
I was informed a couple of weeks ago in coach on CDG-JFK that the pizza/grapes have been replaced on all US-bound transatlantics by the box snack (raisins, "cheese food," etc). Can someone confirm this?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by TheFrogman
Thanks for the info. JAGMAP, I think it's a riot that you were incensed enough to take a picture of the meals.
Hehehe...actually, I just sifted through some pictures on airlinemeals.net ~ Check it out. They have other pics of possible meals. As long as you see chicken/beef, salad, roll, piece of cake...that could very well be your meal
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by fm1NYC
I was informed a couple of weeks ago in coach on CDG-JFK that the pizza/grapes have been replaced on all US-bound transatlantics by the box snack (raisins, "cheese food," etc). Can someone confirm this?
The box snack is disgusting. That pizza is always a welcome treat when sitting in Y! I'm all for bringing your own food on flights, but there's only so many energy bars you can eat and normal food you can pack before you have to rely on what an airline gives you.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I think that Y international meal looked better than the pic of those chicken fingers with pasta entree that they are serving in domestic F!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=423694&page=1
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
BARF service...

That means Bring Aboard Real Food, of course, for your LRTC (soon) flight.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I eat nothing but Powersauce bars.

Get sauced with Powersauce.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Really, wow, that's a bummer.

I'm shocked this hasn't come up before.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:33 pm

I tasted the domestic F or J (forget which) pizza a few weeks ago. We often travel with a teen-aged boy who would prefer to live on them and leaped at the offer. Although it's tiny, even he lost interest. I tried it and understood why. It was food, but surely the worst pizza I've ever tasted.

On a subsequent segment - DFW-LAX in "first", I think - it was again on offer. By the time the F/A got to me, it was the only choice left, so AA obviously has a lot of pax who've wised up. You'd think they'd audit the left-overs and change the menu accordingly, but I suspect it's a cost thing - the pizza probably costs them a buck (worth half that at best) and the real food is more expensive.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Not as of last Sunday....

Not on AA51 LGW-DFW. Pizza and grapes as usual for pre landing afternoon snack....

- Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.