Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-air-award redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Non-air-award redemptions

This is a bit of an unusual question, but has anyone done redemptions of AA miles for non flight awards? The reason I ask is that I have about 7,000 miles (earned a few years ago) that are due to expire in the next several months due to no activity (I don't generally travel on AA - usually only NW and DL).

Any creative suggestions on how I can derive SOME value out of these miles? I can only read so many magazines, but I'd be interested in which hotel programs have decent exchange rates.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Hilton.....

7K AA miles gets you 14K HH points. AFAIK, it's the best option out there for 7K lone miles.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:57 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
A few spare miles you say??

There are serveral option all detailed on the AA web site.

You could BUY more to make a worthwhile number of miles for an award.

You could GIFT them to a friend and then THEY could use them.

Both of the above will cost you money (buying much more than giving).

The other option, really the best in my opinion, would be to DONATE them to one of the causes listed on the Charities Page of AA.com.

They have some links to worthwhile charities ... you take your pick and clear out the account!

Gee .. and while I'm looking up this information for you .. I just made a donation to the USO for our fighting men and women...
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:34 pm

Sometimes I've seen magazine subscriptions.
darwin
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:07 pm

Converting Miles to HHonors points is cool and I do it often,

BUT,

As of April 4 AA now charges $25 fee. I am not sure if that applies only to HHonors exchanges or all non-travel awards, so check first.

Peace!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Nevermind. It looks like the fee is $25 whether it's done online or not now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.