US in merger talks with HP

Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
US in merger talks with HP

Although blatantly OT, some in this forum may be interested in this thread which contains multiple links to news reports that US is in "advanced merger talks" with America West.

Pretty interesting. It's not clear to me what effect, if any, this merger would have on AA.

Last edited by justageek; Apr 19, 2005 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:44 pm
Suspended

It is interesting. I say, Loz em merge... Abee gezint. Right?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:52 pm

American is about the only airline without a US alliance partner. Mergers are risky. US Air acquired PSA in California and that was a disaster so you wonder about America West. Acquisition of the TWA St. Louis hub made little sense because it did not attract more traffic.

Going back to Raleigh to provide more East coast service or forming a code-share alliance with Air Tran could make some sense? Based on the East coast using AA can be inconvenient, unless you live in Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

I think a lot more passengers would use AA if it had more East coast ties, but definitely no merger.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Gold / Hilton / Hertz / KLM
Well, IF it (US+HP) comes to fruition, it could add fuel to the long-smoldering spark between AA and AS. Were this to happen, hopefully AA would learn to regard the West Coast as something other than a colony of sorts. Of course, they could move the SEA hub or the PDX "hub-let" down to SJC and then shut it down in a few years.....

At the very least, AA might try to bring AS into the oneworld orbit in a more official capacity.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by cws818vc
Well, IF it (US+HP) comes to fruition, it could add fuel to the long-smoldering spark between AA and AS. Were this to happen, hopefully AA would learn to regard the West Coast as something other than a colony of sorts. Of course, they could move the SEA hub or the PDX "hub-let" down to SJC and then shut it down in a few years.....

At the very least, AA might try to bring AS into the oneworld orbit in a more official capacity.
I can't imagine AS agreeing to this... They are struggling as it is, and need all the traffic they get from their non-OW partners.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold / Hilton / Hertz / KLM
Originally Posted by justageek
I can't imagine AS agreeing to this... They are struggling as it is, and need all the traffic they get from their non-OW partners.
Neither can I, but I can certainly see AA being interested. At the very least, I can see them talking. Back in 2000 when UA was going to buy US, AA was talking to NW, DL was talking to CO....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.