Dirty Diaper!

Old Mar 23, 05, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Dirty Diaper!

Recently flew PDX to ORD. I had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to 2 toddlers and their parents. On two occassions during the almost 4 hour flight, the mother changed one child's solied diaper right there sitting in their coach seat. Needless to say, the stench was awful. She tried to give the dirty daiper to a FA who replied politely but firmly, "No, you'll need to dispose of that in the lavatory". Is this a usual procedure for diaper changes? Anyone with any experiences?
Old Mar 23, 05, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta, Amtrak
PDX to ORD is on the MD-80, correct? They don't have any changing tables in the lavs, so you change the diaper where you can.

Generally, either the flight attendants won't take the diapers, or the will put them in a special "bio-hazard" bag for disposal.

Whenever we travel with kids in diapers, we always bring special "blue bags" the can keep the diaper until we deplane. We try to schedule flights that won't be full (Saturday afternoons and evenings), so we hope that one of back rows will be empty for changing if we have too.
Old Mar 23, 05, 7:59 am

arnitaruiz:

Your momma changed you wherever she could.

I think some compassion is in order.
Old Mar 23, 05, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is another passenger-friendly design - no changing table in the lav on that aircraft config. Similarly, 763s have two lavs port in J, none starboard. Short luggage bins. Aa may know why we fly, but a lot of designers in the aircraft and airline industries obviously are clue impaired.
Old Mar 24, 05, 10:08 am

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
you'd complain if she DIDN't Change the diaper. It's a lose-lose situation. If there was space to change it elsewhere, most parents would, but sometimes the kids' poop when the seatbelt sign is on, or while landing, or whatever. Just hold your nose.
Old Mar 24, 05, 2:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by MikeMargolis
Your momma changed you wherever she could.

I think some compassion is in order.
I didn't notice any lack of compassion in the OP. Seemed like a recounting of the events and a simple question. Not even a complaint about what happened (just about the smell ).

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 05, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Plantsville, CT USA; via West Hartford, CT; Stamford, CT; South Bend, IN; London, U.K. and Westchester County, NY
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Starwood Lifetime PLT
Changing table or not, this should be done in the bathroom or an empty row, but not next to a total stranger. That is just rude.
Old Mar 24, 05, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Changing table or not, this should be done in the bathroom or an empty row, but not next to a total stranger. That is just rude.
What he said.
Old Mar 24, 05, 3:26 pm
rhl

Programs: 2m miler, PLT for life
While I have never changed my daughter in the seat, I can tell you that it's almost impossible to change a diaper in the lav WITH the baby changing table let alone without one. I've been pretty lucky to have only had one poopy diaper and my daughter has almost 50k miles!
Old Mar 24, 05, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC

I agree.

I also have to give to the FA for not taking the diaper.

I also wonder how well others would take it if someone was changing another pax adult diaper next to you...yes probably impossible..but just a thought..on how you would react to seeing that!
Old Mar 24, 05, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

My son has been travelling an average of 15,000 miles a year since he was 2 months old. When my son was in diapers and it was my turn to change him, I always always always took him to the lavatory to make the change.

I am 6 feet tall and managed just fine. The way I did it was to squat in fron of the toilet so my thighs were level with the toilet seat. This gave me ample "surface" to lay him down and do the dirty deed.

I would have never been so inconsiderate as to change him in a seat; especially with another passenger sitting next to me!
Old Mar 24, 05, 7:47 pm

Any common sense?

What is going on. I mean don't people have sense when changing babies. Do it in the lavretories.
Old Mar 24, 05, 8:15 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTG, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
What kind of assh*%# would change their kid in their seat, this is not WN !!!!
Old Mar 24, 05, 11:57 pm

Good one

Hey Alaristl you could not have said it better(:. We pay good money only to have a stinky pooper next to us)-:. Just imagine if it were first class . Parents need to see the"whole picture" at times.
Old Mar 25, 05, 12:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Problem is, not everyone shares the same "common sense." And some folks are very infrequent flyers. The FA might have made the suggestion in an innocuous way "You might be more comfortable changing that in the lav" ot the like. MDTC is not a major selling point for any airline...

Search this Thread