FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Help LHR-JFK fares next w/e! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/409761-help-lhr-jfk-fares-next-w-e.html)

1/[email protected] Mar 11, 05 12:28 pm

Help LHR-JFK fares next w/e!

Am trying to book LHR-JFK for next weekend (18-20 March)

Fares seem rediculously high for coach in March. Cheapest fares are $850-900!

Normally this would not be remarkable, since it just means that the weekend flights are full and a higher class of fare is being sold. However, even as S class (which is usually one of the cheapest) the fare is $850.

Does anyone know what is going on this weekend? Any ideas how to get this price down?

brp Mar 11, 05 12:35 pm

Buy further in advance. Seriously, not really trying to be a smart a$$, but one reason is the proximity of the flight. Except for the last minute fare sale things, buying flights this close to departure almost always results in higher fares. AT least that's been my experience.

Also, it generally seems to be the case with AA that europe-here is more than here-europe. Not sure why. I found JFK-LHR for $511. But the LHR-JFK was $889 (a little less than you found)- about 10 different flight combos, including, for example, 115/132.

If it's not a "must go" flight, you could try waiting it out to see if something drops.

Cheers.

1/[email protected] Mar 11, 05 12:49 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have found in the last few months low fares LHR-JFK (not the other way round) with only a 3 day advance purchase requirement. I have even seen $400 fares with no advance purchase (just a sat night stay).

Something just feels odd with this. Wondering if it is a holiday in the UK next w/e or something.

Will certainly have to wait it out as $900 is too high!

The _Banking_Scot Mar 11, 05 1:41 pm

Hi,

The 18th/20th March is not a holiday weekend in the UK. It is the week before Easter .

Regards

TBS

elron938 Mar 11, 05 1:44 pm

What does site59 want for your dates?

1/[email protected] Mar 11, 05 4:01 pm

Unfortunately site 59 doesnt sell tickets ex UK but expedia is showing the same sort of prices...

It must be the proximity to Easter. Thanks TBS!

marlborobell Mar 11, 05 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by elron938
What does site59 want for your dates?

... or, since you're originating at LHR, try lastminute.com.

Not that it helps -- they want GBP 430 on VS and GBP 455 on AA. Even the flight/hotel packages are horrible unless you like going to NYC via Detroit.

davork Mar 11, 05 5:48 pm

St Patrick's day!

Of course.... March 17th (St Patrick's day in Ireland) and people flying back to the US from DUB via LHR could have a lot to do with it...

And I believe the schools have easter holidays around then too...

yellow77 Mar 11, 05 5:54 pm

Maybe it's time to use those 1/4 million miles and more that you've collected? ;)

holmedown Mar 11, 05 8:38 pm

AA just had a sale to the US - finished midnight on 8th March - so no prices are back up to our "normal" rates. They did have LHR-JFK at 189 - however do notice that United is just starting a UK-USA sale - so may be worth looking there ?

1/[email protected] Mar 11, 05 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by holmedown
AA just had a sale to the US - finished midnight on 8th March - so no prices are back up to our "normal" rates. They did have LHR-JFK at 189 - however do notice that United is just starting a UK-USA sale - so may be worth looking there ?

Actually that sale (and they have another one on now until Monday) specifically excludes next w/e:

Seasonality PERMITTED 25FEB 05 THROUGH 16MAR 05 OR 25MAR 05 THROUGH 30APR 05 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Thanks for all the replies!

holmedown Mar 11, 05 11:36 pm

Ahhh, thinking about it, so did AA's sale - due to school easter holidays.
Well there is always Air India who do cheap flights whatever time of year LHR-JFK .... though never tried them.

UncleDude Mar 12, 05 6:03 am

Reasons: Boarding Schools and expats children flying and early vacationers for Easter.