DL ends buy-on-board and pillows

Old Mar 9, 05, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
DL ends buy-on-board and pillows

Not sure what to make of this, but according to this article, Delta has decided

(1) to end buy-on-board (apparently only 25% of customers used it -- does those bode badly for AA's BOB program?); now only snacks will be served in coach ("whole-grain chips, granola bars, peanuts, animal crackers and cheese-filled crackers."). Meals will be served in FC on flights longer than 3 hours. Song will continue to sell meals, and meals will continue to be served in coach on DL to destinations outside North America, the Caribbean and Latin America.

(2) to end pillows on all flights.

Yes, friends, the race to the bottom continues.

[Moderators: relevance to AA is that both of these steps relate to steps AA recently took.]
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Anecdotally, FAs on a couple recent AA flights have told me that BOB has been wildly popular and they often run out of meals.
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:17 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Could it be that delta was serving KRAP in their buy-on-board?

Well, since I have never tried the AA stuff (normally get upgrades) I will probably never know!

And besides if I am stuck in coach, I know the good restaurants in various cities to do takeout from (either at the airport or off-site before I turn in the rental car).

Pillows were always DIRTY anyhow!
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
I have never tried a BOB but like many if I am traveling Y I usually know the good restaurants in the various airports. I am not sure why everyone complains about the end of meal service. Restaurant food is always better than airline food.
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by chsb
I have never tried a BOB but like many if I am traveling Y I usually know the good restaurants in the various airports. I am not sure why everyone complains about the end of meal service. Restaurant food is always better than airline food.
It's mostly an issue when one doesn't have time to get food. Arriving at the airport late, tight connection, etc. At these times, when one is really hungry, even the food on board tastes good.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by brp
It's mostly an issue when one doesn't have time to get food. Arriving at the airport late, tight connection, etc. At these times, when one is really hungry, even the food on board tastes good.

Cheers.
Agreed brp.
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
A similar USA Today article mentions that United is looking at expanding their Ted BOB snacks to United flights since they are so popular.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/z/...ksendfoodsales

So, I looked up what Ted is offering:
http://www.flyted.com/meetted/snackbox.htm

These SnackBoxes look quite good. There are 4 selections (though with the caveot that all may not be available on a flight) which range from healthy to meal-like to comfort/snack to junk. I think Ted got BOB right.
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Jumpcut
Anecdotally, FAs on a couple recent AA flights have told me that BOB has been wildly popular and they often run out of meals.
I have heard of them run out of stuff due to the small # of BOB meals / snacks loaded. OTOH, at $3 for a snack and $5 for a sandwich, the prices are not extreme and can compare with the average lunch place. I have to caveat this by saying I have not flown a BOB flight in Y yet and don't know what food is like.
Old Mar 9, 05, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm actually surprised Delta had 25% of customers buying on board, given the always-present option of buying something at the airport. 25% seems like a decent hit rate to me.

With 100+ coach passengers, assuming 30 purchases at $5-7 each doesn't generate much, but I can't imagine DL expected much higher participation.
Old Mar 9, 05, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpcut
the FAs i've talked with say that the afternoon snacks sell out most flights (they only have like 24 on a flight), but the breakfast ones aren't very popular at all.
Old Mar 9, 05, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rigmutt
I'm actually surprised Delta had 25% of customers buying on board, given the always-present option of buying something at the airport. 25% seems like a decent hit rate to me.

With 100+ coach passengers, assuming 30 purchases at $5-7 each doesn't generate much, but I can't imagine DL expected much higher participation.

Agreed, 25% would be excellent. I've never seen anything close to that level of interest on my flights. Perhaps they meant 25% of the meals they loaded...?
Old Mar 9, 05, 12:37 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
AA's BOB options just suck. Period. They need to take a look at what Song is doing. Song has better options, takes credit cards, and stocks Grey Goose. Oh yeah, and great IFE.

Now Song is running on AA's LAX-JFK route. Let's see what happens.
Old Mar 9, 05, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG
Flew stand-by on an earlier flight from JFK last Sunday and ended up in y. I can testify that AA's BOB choices do indeed suck! I opted for the wrap; it was dry and flavorless - nothing like the Chicken Caesar Wrap they have been offering as a snack in Biz on red-eyes. I know that If I were to be riding in the back of the bus and had enticing, appetizing choices (come on AA - innovate and create), I wouldn't mind paying a little more for BOB. Instead, the 5 dollars paid for the wrap felt like a tremendous waste!
Old Mar 9, 05, 3:30 pm

Yes I have to agree that the AA selections aren't as good as DL. On AA, we've had average-to-mediocre wraps, plus a snack box that had yucky processed salami, processed cheese and some crackers. The FA said that these boxes have a long expiration date, so AA doesn't have to restock that often. It was kind of yucky. I would kill for a piece of fruit or something that's healthy. On DL I had a fresh turkey on rye sandwich and a huge chocolate chip cookie which was better than anything in the airport, and about the same price.
Old Mar 9, 05, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs down I hate BOB.

Most of the BOB snack packs(AA,TED,etc) are nothing but Diabetes-in-a-box.
There's too much sugar, starch and empty calories. So pax get fatter and the airlines end up using more fuel to ferry their fat a$$es around.

I can confirm that the breakfast croissant was selling very well. I witnessed people buying two at a time. It was like a feeding frenzy. One lady wanted one so badly, but only had a credit card. Lucky for her a good samaritan gave her $5.

I can't attest to its taste as I brought my own sandwiches.

Search this Thread