Round the World Tickets and QP's

Old Mar 8, 05, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum

Hi, am hoping someone can give me some information regarding round the world tickets. I am getting ready to book a ticket through AA in Business Class DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-CDG-DFW for end of month. The first and last segments are on AA metal with LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-CDG being on CX. Will I get full 1.5 qualifying and elite status points on the entire flight? I have never booked an Around the World ticket and am only doing it because I have to be in BKK one week and Paris the next and trying to save a couple 000's but don't want to spend all that time in the air and not get full credit for it. Especially since this trip (with full points) will requalify me for EXP 3 months earlier than my personal record.

Thanks for any information you can provide!!
Old Mar 8, 05, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kunphuzn
Hi, am hoping someone can give me some information regarding round the world tickets. I am getting ready to book a ticket through AA in Business Class DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-CDG-DFW for end of month. The first and last segments are on AA metal with LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-CDG being on CX. Will I get full 1.5 qualifying and elite status points on the entire flight? I have never booked an Around the World ticket and am only doing it because I have to be in BKK one week and Paris the next and trying to save a couple 000's but don't want to spend all that time in the air and not get full credit for it. Especially since this trip (with full points) will requalify me for EXP 3 months earlier than my personal record.
Thanks for any information you can provide!!
Provided you are booked in D (or A for your domestic US flights you will earn 1.5 q-points per mile. You will earn a .25 mileage bonus for the D flights and a .50 mileage bonus for your A class flight DFW-LAX.

If I was you since you will still have a lot of segments left, I would return from Paris to JFK and fly home to Dallas on another ticket so you would still have five segments to use in the US at another time but only one stopover. (Actually I would probably fly home from Paris on another ticket so I could use some segments in Europe and the US) For OneWorld rtw questions you should probably go to the OneWorld forum under airline alliances.
Old Mar 8, 05, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If I was you since you will still have a lot of segments left, I would return from Paris to JFK and fly home to Dallas on another ticket so you would still have five segments to use in the US at another time but only one stopover. (Actually I would probably fly home from Paris on another ticket so I could use some segments in Europe and the US)
BOY do I agree with that. Maybe the OP is not as nuts as many (most?) of us, but I would at the very least throw in CDG-LHR-DXB-LHR-LAX-(JFK)-DFW. Keep in mind you can upgrade the LHR-LAX if it's on AA.
Old Mar 8, 05, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks

Thanks for the info. This is a business trip and I will be gone for 11 days so after having to shlepp through so many airports to get to BKK, I will really need the direct flight home from CDG. I am in various locales in Europe every month so adding additional stops is not an incentive for me, neither is mileage collection as I am sitting on more than I will probably ever use. My only concern is that I receive the 21.5K x 1.5 (32K+) qualifying points to requalify for AA EXP even though most of the trip is on CX. That is why I posted here rather than the OneWorld board. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post.
Old Mar 8, 05, 9:35 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by kunphuzn

If you do come through Australia you will get access to the QPs (Qantas Pubs).

DFW-SFO-HKG instead of DFW-LAX-HKG

Give LAX a miss if possible, and book the AA codeshare on the CX flight.
Old Mar 9, 05, 10:28 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
This is a very fine point, but RTW fares did not allow back-tracking. Your routing on the RTW should really be DFW-LAX-HKG-CDG-DFW .. with a second ticket that is totally separate for HKG-BKK-HKG (yes on CX). I did ORD-LHR-SIN-HKG-SFO-STL-ORD with a 'side trip' to China from HKG .. but it was on a separate ticket to avoid the backtracking no-no.

Not sure this is a huge issue ... but normally the staff that book a RTW are sticklers for details. Thats why Australia is a bit of an anomoly on a RTW on some airlines (allowing SIN-SYD-MEL-SIN-LAX vs SIN-SYD-MEL-LAX where no 'reverse direction' is involved) and I think like UAL and SQ surcharge because of that. Not sure how AA/CX would feel. AND the agents may be rolling the RTW and HKG-BKK-HKG into one 'price'.

Just thought you should no about the no-no dreaded back-track on a RTW.

JR
Old Mar 9, 05, 10:58 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
With the oneworld Explorer, the "no backtracking" rule has to do with backtracking between continents, not within continents. Thus DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-PEK-HKG-LHR-IST-LHR-YVR-DFW is a perfectly legal xONE3 routing. DFW-LAX-SYD-HKG-SYD-SIN-LHR-LAX-DFW is not (also 4 continents, but who's counting?)
Old Mar 10, 05, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JGR01
This is a very fine point, but RTW fares did not allow back-tracking. Your routing on the RTW should really be DFW-LAX-HKG-CDG-DFW .. with a second ticket that is totally separate for HKG-BKK-HKG (yes on CX). I did ORD-LHR-SIN-HKG-SFO-STL-ORD with a 'side trip' to China from HKG .. but it was on a separate ticket to avoid the backtracking no-no.

Not sure this is a huge issue ... but normally the staff that book a RTW are sticklers for details. Thats why Australia is a bit of an anomoly on a RTW on some airlines (allowing SIN-SYD-MEL-SIN-LAX vs SIN-SYD-MEL-LAX where no 'reverse direction' is involved) and I think like UAL and SQ surcharge because of that. Not sure how AA/CX would feel. AND the agents may be rolling the RTW and HKG-BKK-HKG into one 'price'.

As Gardyloo point out, you are 100% completely incorrect on this. The OP's routing is perfectly fine.
Old Mar 10, 05, 7:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by JGR01
It was Skyteam that used to have a strict "np backtracking" rule -- Oneworld never did! A few RTW products do have routing restrictions within continents, but none of the Oneworld products, be it OWE or GE or the Circle fares do. Please don't confuse the rules of competing airlines. In general the OWE routings are the most flexible and don't have any onerous rules. The reason you had to buy a separate ticket from HKG to anywhere in China is that until recently there were no CX flights on those routes -- it is served by Dragonair, a CX joint venture but not part of OneWorld so not usable on your RTW ticket. The only OW flights to China were from Europe then (now there is a little CX service from HKG).

Search this Thread