BP w/Seat assignment - Stand-by?

Old Mar 8, 05, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Question BP w/Seat assignment - Stand-by?

I witnessed something while waiting to board my flight Sunday evening that confused me. Now, this was happening to someone else (thank goodness!) so I didn't actually see the BPs. But this is the story as I heard it.

A couple left SJU early Sunday morning. Something happened with their original SJU-ORD flight, and they were given a choice of another SJU-ORD flight or SJU-DFW-ORD. (Their final destination was GRR.) They took the DFW routing. When they went to board their DFW-GRR flight 12+ hours later, the scanner beeped and they discovered that they were on STAND-BY for the flight. And it was a full flight.

My question is, how do they get BPs with seat assignments if they are on stand-by? Did somebody change something after they got their BPs? This was one PO'ed couple! They did end up getting on the flight, but I'm not sure how. I witnessed most of this because I had volunteered for DB. AE delayed the flight to wait for connecting PAX. Several people boarded after the original departure time (which confused and irritated the couple even more). They finally told the 2 volunteers to board. While they were scanning my BP, I heard the CS Mgr. explaining that AE couldn't ask us to stay for nothing and they couldn't pay us to stay and put this couple on since they were S/B and not confirmed on the flight. A few minutes after I boarded, the couple got on and went to the back of the plane.

Very strange. Any ideas?
Old Mar 8, 05, 11:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
The agent in SJU booked them on the new flight, but didn't cancel out their old flight. Then, they "missed" the SJU-ORD flight, and the other flights were canceled by the system. Their seats were given away while they were in the air, SJU-DFW. The agent in DFW can't give them confirmed seats, since there aren't any left.
Old Mar 8, 05, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
The agent in SJU booked them on the new flight, but didn't cancel out their old flight. Then, they "missed" the SJU-ORD flight, and the other flights were canceled by the system. Their seats were given away while they were in the air, SJU-DFW. The agent in DFW can't give them confirmed seats, since there aren't any left.
Don't think so. They were ON the stand-by list. In your scenario, they wouldn't have a reservation at all. Also, DFW-GRR wouldn't have been one of the other flights. Their original itinerary would have been SJU-ORD-GRR.
Old Mar 8, 05, 11:58 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mwhitted
... I didn't actually see the BPs.

::snip::

My question is, how do they get BPs with seat assignments ...
Are you sure they had an actual Boarding Pass with a Seat Assignment? Or was it the "Priority Verification" dealie they give you when you're on standby? Both are printed on the same kind of paper.
Old Mar 8, 05, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL FO, UA Silver, IHG Spire IC, MR Gold, RCL D+, X Elite
When the agent in SJU put them on the flight as standbys, that flight was probably not showing any standby restriction in Sabre, so it automatically gave them boarding passes.

In AA Sabre, flights automatically have a standby restriction of D2 in coach, which is employee travel. And that restriction will stay that way until someone manually sets it to something else, even if the flight is overbooked. At my station, we went in and reset the standby restrictions the night before the next days flights so this was rarely a problem. Looks like this particular flight just slipped through the cracks.

Now, they should've been told they were on standby. And very well may have been. I've seen so many people get torqued over this same scenario many times.
Old Mar 8, 05, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Are you sure they had an actual Boarding Pass with a Seat Assignment? Or was it the "Priority Verification" dealie they give you when you're on standby? Both are printed on the same kind of paper.
They kept telling the agent that they had BPs with seat assignments (while they were sticking the BPs in the agent's face ). Like I said, I didn't SEE them, but it sounds like they were BPs with seat assignments. Per flyastrojets (I KNEW you'd have the answer for this! ) it looks like they WERE stand-by, WITH BPs and seat assignments. I can imagine that the SJU agent might not go to great lengths to make sure they new they were stand-by. I can also imagine that the couple might not "hear" if they were told that they were stand-by. I think they said it was like 4:30 AM when this was happening in SJU. Long, bad day.
Old Mar 8, 05, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL FO, UA Silver, IHG Spire IC, MR Gold, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by mwhitted
They kept telling the agent that they had BPs with seat assignments (while they were sticking the BPs in the agent's face ). Like I said, I didn't SEE them, but it sounds like they were BPs with seat assignments. Per flyastrojets (I KNEW you'd have the answer for this! ) it looks like they WERE stand-by, WITH BPs and seat assignments. I can imagine that the SJU agent might not go to great lengths to make sure they new they were stand-by. I can also imagine that the couple might not "hear" if they were told that they were stand-by. I think they said it was like 4:30 AM when this was happening in SJU. Long, bad day.
Indeed, when you see that boarding card with your name on it and a seat assignment, it's hard to "hear" that you are standby. I also wouldn't put it past the SJU agent to forget to mention it either in the rush of a cancelled flight and rerouting folks.

Search this Thread