Heads-up regarding Upgrade Requests resetting

Old Mar 8, 05, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Heads-up regarding Upgrade Requests resetting

As we all know when there is a schedule/equipment change to one of our reservations the upgrade requests get reset.

In the past anytime I received a schedule change notification online, noted by a bright RED message, I would call AA and confirm the change with a CSR. For the latest occurrence which happened a couple weeks ago, I decide not to call and just went online and re-requested my upgrades.

Now, the "heads-up" part. The message in RED warning me of the schedule change does not go away until you call AA. So I called yesterday for the schedule/equipment change that occurred a couple weeks ago for which I had already re-requested upgrades. BINGO, I went back out to the website after AA confirmed that I was aware of the change and not only was the message in RED gone, but so were the upgrades I had re-requested two weeks ago, so I had to re-request upgrades again.

So, this means one should always call AA CSR first before re-requesting upgrades on rescheduled/equiped flights as the upgrades not only get reset when the schedule change happens, but also when AA CSRs confirm your knowledge of the change.
Old Mar 8, 05, 7:42 am
DEK

A similar thing happened to me yesterday. I had a schedule change with the red message and my upgrade requests had disappeared, however I just re-requested the upgrades and never called AA. When I checked my res. this a.m. the message was gone and my upgrade requests are still there.
Old Mar 8, 05, 8:30 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
This is a little disturbing. I have 3 upcoming reservations for which there are schedule changes...and the infamous "messages in red." After the red messages appeared online, I had to re-request upgrades on all the flights.

I didn't bother calling because they are all minor changes. Now that I think about it though, in the past I was unable to check in online until I called to confirm the change. Now, if I call, I'll lose my place in the upgrade line and have to re-request them, according to the above.
Old Mar 8, 05, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone with more experience shed even more light on this for us?
Old Mar 8, 05, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Perhaps Jumpcut can shed more light on this if he/she calls in to confirm his/her changes.
Old Mar 8, 05, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
OK, I just called and confirmed the changes on my 3 reservations with the GLD/PLT desk. On the first reservation, which is in May, I had to resubmit my upgrade requests online after confirming with the agent. But on the other two reservations (for June and November), the upgrade requests stayed in the "submitted" status after confirming with the agent, even though the RED status message was removed. All 3 reservations were for LAX-FLL-LAX and involved flight number and slight time changes.

Sorry this is all the light I can shed on this...
Old Mar 8, 05, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HGP
Slightly off-topic but I have a forthcoming itinerary that I booked in Feb. There was a slight itinerary change (didn't involve a new ticketing date or the flight to be upgraded) but my upgrade request was unticked. No problem I just submitted the request. In my case I think it was due to dropping from EXP to PLT so this may be a factor in some cases.
Old Mar 8, 05, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

When schedule changes occur, quite often the upgrade request is reset (un-ticked). This happens when there is a hardware change or a flight number change. I religiously check my reservations every Monday morning and resubmit my upgrade requests if necessary. I will return to my previous habit of calling AA first to confirm the schedule change before resubmiting my upgrade requests online. What a pain in the butt, but if you know how their system works at least one can use that as an advantage.

Search this Thread