AA or JAL in biz to NRT from ORD?

Old Mar 7, 05, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
AA or JAL in biz to NRT from ORD?

I am flying to NRT from ORD. Since I will be paying $8,000+, I want to get the best ride. Which is better? I will even fly ANA, U, CO or DELTA if they have the best biz class service (well, I doubt that U or DELTA have the best biz class).

Any suggestions? This has been discussed before, but I can't find it and I have to book pretty fast.
Old Mar 7, 05, 8:35 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
If you are paying full Business fare ... with AA you can upgrade to First (assuming you have VIPs or miles) while on JAL you would not be able to.

It may come down simply to the upgrade-ability of the choice.

Have flown AA ORD-NRT several times (not JAL) and their Business service has been decent .. nothing fabulous. If you do fly AA .. remember even/front odd/back for your seating choices as the Japanese meal is VERY VERY nice. The American food is tres-airline normal.
Old Mar 7, 05, 8:42 am

JAL wins hands down. Flat J seats on the ORD-NRT routes, Also better IFE (AVOD), catering, and more consistant serivce. The only draw backs would be If you take JL, you cannot use the ORD FL if you're EXP (unless you book the codeshare) and having to transit T3 to T5 on the outbound and inbound. JL flights ill get you full Aadvantage credit and EQMs.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Mar 7, 05 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 7, 05, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JGR01
If you are paying full Business fare ... with AA you can upgrade to First (assuming you have VIPs or miles) while on JAL you would not be able to.

It may come down simply to the upgrade-ability of the choice.

Have flown AA ORD-NRT several times (not JAL) and their Business service has been decent .. nothing fabulous. If you do fly AA .. remember even/front odd/back for your seating choices as the Japanese meal is VERY VERY nice. The American food is tres-airline normal.

even/front odd/back?
Old Mar 7, 05, 8:47 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Even flight number - they start the meal orders ("what would you like for dinner") at the front of the cabin.

Odd flight number - starts at back.

YES they run out! And as I said the Japanese meal is WORTH changing my seat over!
Old Mar 7, 05, 9:38 am

I would have to go with AA because of the upgradeability too (as long as I was assured of a cabin and not a coffin - but let's not start that discussion again eh ).

Although AA's J seats are old, tired and worn out, I seem to remember the JAL flat beds to be limited on the padding and similar to sleeping on a plank of wood.
Old Mar 7, 05, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
If AA miles matter to you. I'd recommend taking the AA codeshare on JAL. Their business class product is far superior to AA's.
Old Mar 7, 05, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
The only draw backs would be If you take JL, you cannot use the ORD FL if you're EXP (unless you book the codeshare)
even on the code share you cant use the fl in ord.
the flight must be marketed (your ok here) and opperated (no dice) by aa/ow to use the ow lounge admit policy
Old Mar 7, 05, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
JL flights ill get you full Aadvantage credit and EQMs.
Really? I thought full AAdvantage credit, but not EQM's.
Old Mar 7, 05, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekker
Really? I thought full AAdvantage credit, but not EQM's.
You're correct. q-points and q-miles only on the AA codeshare of the JL flights.

Search this Thread