Help me miss my flight at NRT

Old Mar 6, 05, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Help me miss my flight at NRT

I am returning from Singapore early April. I fly through NRT for a 2 hour connection. I would actually like to run into town for a few hours or best stay the night to visit a friend. If I just book the day in Tokyo it doubles the the price of the itinerary. Any tricks how to book the flight so it forces an overnight in Tokyo but is still just a "connection"?
Old Mar 6, 05, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I am returning from Singapore early April. I fly through NRT for a 2 hour connection. I would actually like to run into town for a few hours or best stay the night to visit a friend. If I just book the day in Tokyo it doubles the the price of the itinerary. Any tricks how to book the flight so it forces an overnight in Tokyo but is still just a "connection"?
It should count as a connection if you arrive and depart NRT within 24 hours.
Old Mar 6, 05, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisw
It should count as a connection if you arrive and depart NRT within 24 hours.
I cannot find that routing on AA.com had to go to Japanair.com and found the later flight that forces a longer connection

THX
Old Mar 6, 05, 11:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You could also walk *really slowly* from your SIN flight, stopping several times for refreshing sushi and sake, arriving at the AC just in time to receive a BP for the next flight...
Old Mar 6, 05, 12:22 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I cannot find that routing on AA.com had to go to Japanair.com and found the later flight that forces a longer connection

THX
You'll probably have to call EXP desk to find something (if available) that allows you to stay within the 24 hour time constraint...AA.com doesn't seem to lend itself easily to this type of connection.
Old Mar 6, 05, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
What are your dates?
Old Mar 6, 05, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by francophile
What are your dates?
Leave SIN Apr. 1st
Old Mar 6, 05, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Hm, can one just miss a flight (as suggested above) by walking slowly? I mean one sure can, but does AA have to put you on the next flight without additional cost? They do if it is their fault (e.g., first flight was late), but otherwise...?
Old Mar 6, 05, 9:04 pm

There is only one AA codeshare SIN-NRT. So if you want q-points/AAdvantage base miles, you are stuck with the two hour connection at NRT.

If you don't care about q-points/AAdvantage base miles, you can take any of the following:

JL 710, NH 902, or SQ 998. All of these flights leave SIN late in the evening, thus giving you a full day at your leisure at NRT.

Is your return connecting flight to SJC which leaves at 6:00pm?
Old Mar 7, 05, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by francophile
There is only one AA codeshare SIN-NRT. So if you want q-points/AAdvantage base miles, you are stuck with the two hour connection at NRT.

If you don't care about q-points/AAdvantage base miles, you can take any of the following:

JL 710, NH 902, or SQ 998. All of these flights leave SIN late in the evening, thus giving you a full day at your leisure at NRT.

Is your return connecting flight to SJC which leaves at 6:00pm?
My understanding is that you still earn AA base miles and q-points/miles on non-codeshare flights. For example, I'm flying from Singapore to LA in April and had the same concern (in my case I just didn't want to take a 7 AM flight out of Singapore).

My return is:
Saturday April 16 SIN-HKG CX 0714, HKG-NRT CX 0508
Sunday April 17 NRT-LAX AA 170

I believe I'll earn AA base miles plus q-points/q-miles on all flights. Is this not the case?
Old Mar 7, 05, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
My understanding is that you still earn AA base miles and q-points/miles on non-codeshare flights. For example, I'm flying from Singapore to LA in April and had the same concern (in my case I just didn't want to take a 7 AM flight out of Singapore).

My return is:
Saturday April 16 SIN-HKG CX 0714, HKG-NRT CX 0508
Sunday April 17 NRT-LAX AA 170

I believe I'll earn AA base miles plus q-points/q-miles on all flights. Is this not the case?
For CX, you are correct, as CX is in OneWorld. As long as your fare class is H or above, you earn full q-points and full q-miles.

Unfortunately, JL flights earn base miles only, and there's nothing qualifying about them.

Only way to earn q-miles or q-points on JL metal is to fly an AA codeshare (AA flight number on your ticket). You're fine, but those on JL tickets aren't.
Old Mar 7, 05, 4:31 pm

is there a redeye from sin-nrt? that shd give u half a day ...
Old Mar 7, 05, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
For CX, you are correct, as CX is in OneWorld. As long as your fare class is H or above, you earn full q-points and full q-miles.

Unfortunately, JL flights earn base miles only, and there's nothing qualifying about them.

Only way to earn q-miles or q-points on JL metal is to fly an AA codeshare (AA flight number on your ticket). You're fine, but those on JL tickets aren't.
I didn't realize that! I'm lucky that on my outbound, where I am using JL from NRT-SIN it is codeshared with AA.
Old Mar 8, 05, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
I didn't realize that! I'm lucky that on my outbound, where I am using JL from NRT-SIN it is codeshared with AA.
I would check the fare class of those CX segments. Often times, when buying a discounted economy class ticket through AA with CX segments, the CX segments will be in K, L, or M class, which will not qualify for AA miles.

Of course it will still get you into the Wing/Pier (thank goodness!) and you can still earn AsiaMiles or miles with some other oneworld program (25% on BA, woohoo!!!).

You can always ask CX how much it would cost to upgrade the CX segments to H class.

Speaking of upgrading on CX, I was checking in at BKK for my CX flight to SIN last month. I was booked in H class and I inquired how much it woul cost to upgrade to business class. They said THB4000, which is about US$105.

I said, he11 yes! So I paid the THB4000, got to sit in a lie-flat seat on the very empty upper deck 747 (total of 4 passengers), dined on a three course meal (delicious sea bass as main course), sipped fine champagne, enjoyed video and audio on demand, and experienced service Straight From the Heart. Oh, I also got the COS bonus.
Old Mar 9, 05, 11:18 am

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
i think using a multicity booking would be able to get you the flight times that you want, although im not sure if it would make the ticket cost go up

Search this Thread