Flt 102 March 3 - weird problem

Old Mar 5, 05, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Flt 102 March 3 - weird problem

Just talked to a friend who flew in 1st from HNL to DFW on March 3. Everything in 1st worked fine, but in coach there were no reading lights, no movie, and no music. The pilot apologized and offered to comp everyone their $5 dinner. Doesn't sound fair to me.
Old Mar 5, 05, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lolosmama
The pilot apologized and offered to comp everyone their $5 dinner.
"Dinner" is an overstatement!
Old Mar 5, 05, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by lolosmama
Just talked to a friend who flew in 1st from HNL to DFW on March 3. Everything in 1st worked fine, but in coach there were no reading lights, no movie, and no music. The pilot apologized and offered to comp everyone their $5 dinner. Doesn't sound fair to me.
Did they take off with no lights and video?
Old Mar 5, 05, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's unfair about it?
Old Mar 5, 05, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by AAFA
Did they take off with no lights and video?
I'm pretty sure they did because the pilot explained that he had decided to go ahead and fly rather than wait for the necessary part to come in from somewhere, probably the mainland. They did have the low lights along the seats but no reading lights.
Old Mar 5, 05, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
There's a thing called the Minimum Equipment List that states what must be working properly (by law) for an aircraft to operate. Reading lights and entertainment systems are presumably not on the MEL, so what the captain did was technically proper.

On the other hand, there should be more compensation than that...
Old Mar 5, 05, 12:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Maybe it's a trend. Just flew SJC-DFW this morning. After several tries, the VCR was "broken". No movie, no IFE. But we did have reading lights. All they did was to refund money to anyone in coach who had bought headsets. In F, nothing much they could do. 757, by the way.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 05, 9:51 pm

Minium Equipment Operating Requirements

Listen. If BA can fly 11-hours from LAX-LHR on a 747 with only 3 engines..... and again with only 3 engines from SIN-LHR...
... then, reading lamps seems like a small issue.

I'm going to suggest AA shut down one of the engines on their long 777 flights -- might save 50% on fuel costs.
Old Mar 6, 05, 2:21 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I am not surprised to read this at all. Flew AA 283 in early Feb. and F movie screen was inoperable. No efdfort to repair prior to departure.

As far as pilot of AA 102 comping the "dinners" - what a joke. How anyone can call those snack boxes a dinner - pleez.
Old Mar 6, 05, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I am not surprised to read this at all. Flew AA 283 in early Feb. and F movie screen was inoperable. No efdfort to repair prior to departure.

As far as pilot of AA 102 comping the "dinners" - what a joke. How anyone can call those snack boxes a dinner - pleez.
I flew on a SU 777 from SVO to SFO once. I was in the forward Econ section and moved to the rear econ section to escape a loud baby. After a nice nap, I woke up and tried to read a book. Then I discovered that there were no reading lights or any other lights available in that part of the plane. But.. it was SU, so why complain.
Old Mar 6, 05, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
On a 757 flight I was on recently, the F movie screen wouldn't come down from the ceiling (it needs to be stowed during takeoff & landing) so the FA had to do a live safety demo. After the plane took off, she got it to come down with much effort, so we had a movie. Then, before landing, she was unable to get it back into the stowed position again, even after several FA tried banging on it. So we landed with it in the unstowed position. Everybody in F just rolled their eyes as we watched FA after FA take their turn trying to get the TV to go up...some rather forcefully!
Old Mar 6, 05, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Premier, AA
This has happened before on CDG-MIA. There was no IFE, no lights (but it was day flying), and no compensation. For that long flight, it was brutal
Old Mar 6, 05, 9:49 am

Programs: AA,DL. HL,MC. ZL,ZE.
It MAY be worth a complaint letter. I am a former travel agent. One of my clients traveled full paid F every three weeks on BA between LAX and Europe. On one of his trips, the video at the seat did not work. He wrote a complaint letter explaining how he chooses BA regularly for their superior service and "passenger comfort technology" and was not happy finding no entertainment options on his LAX-LHR flight. He was given a $9000 voucher, which he promptly used in lieu of miles on a F class ticket to Ireland for a vacation. (They also had a note in his profile to NEVER say "no" to him. If a flight was sold out in F, a PNR created with a waitlist segment and call to BA usually cleared in 20-30 minutes.)

I don't know if AA is willing to compensate more than "dinner" given in these cost cutting times, but who knows!
Old Mar 7, 05, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG
It seems that audio/video equipment malfunction is happening more and more frequently. Have had it happen to me a few times late last year, and more recently on #21 from JFK last night in Y (went stand-by, forfeiting my upgrade). The audio/Video system had to be reset at least a half dozen times due to picture with no sound, then sound with no picture, etc... The crew members were getting visably irritated!
Old Mar 7, 05, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG
Originally Posted by armchair_critic
It seems that audio/video equipment malfunction is happening more and more frequently. Have had it happen to me a few times late last year, and more recently on #21 from JFK last night in Y (went stand-by, forfeiting my upgrade). The audio/Video system had to be reset at least a half dozen times due to picture with no sound, then sound with no picture, etc... The crew members were getting visably irritated!
Sorry -make that flight 181... was scheduled on #21.

Search this Thread