Wiki Posts
Search

Losing miles towards elite upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Unhappy Losing miles towards elite upgrades

I'm playing the "search is down so please help" card here....

After a flight on 2/26 I will have 29,932 miles in my Miles Towards Gold/Plat/EXP Upgrades bucket. My next flight isn't until 3/05 so I will be 68 miles short of getting my 4 upgrades when they reset the counter Feb. 28.
I know in the past some of you have had luck in pleading your case to get at least partial upgrade credits for your remaining miles.
I'm hoping to try this, so who do I call...the Plat. desk? When do you suggest I place this call.. Feb 28?

Also, what success have people had in the past pleading for at least partial upgrade credits after the Feb 28 reset?

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I've gotten them two years in a row. The first time I had to call several times and was still told no. Then I got a call back from the agent and she told me after reviewing my account, she found that I was elligible ... either 2 or 3 that time. Last year I got two after explaining basic mathematics to the agent on the phone.

Definitely give it a try. You are closer than I was either time. Should be good for at least 2 if not 3.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:39 pm

AAdvantage Customer Service will help

You can call ACS toll free on the direct line, 800-421-0600. I wouldn't count on getting 4 upgrades, but you should get a couple. (and it shouldn't take several tries!)
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
My wife has 39,326 miles towards upgrades, but does not have any travel scheduled before Feb 28th to push the counter over to the next 10,000. I've called twice to ask about partial credits on my wife's account (latest call today 2/21), but both agents have said no, that this is not a normal policy. The agent I spoke to today said that she saw I've called about this before, and that the answer is still no. Seems that my first inquiry a few weeks back was documented in my wife's AA account.

The responses I've been getting seem to be contrary to other FT'ers experiences. Should I have waited until after Feb 28th to call?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAMCI
My wife has 39,326 miles towards upgrades, but does not have any travel scheduled before Feb 28th to push the counter over to the next 10,000. I've called twice to ask about partial credits on my wife's account (latest call today 2/21), but both agents have said no, that this is not a normal policy. The agent I spoke to today said that she saw I've called about this before, and that the answer is still no. Seems that my first inquiry a few weeks back was documented in my wife's AA account.

The responses I've been getting seem to be contrary to other FT'ers experiences. Should I have waited until after Feb 28th to call?

Am I missing something? I thought AA stopped giving free upgrades based on miles but lowered the purchased cost. Or maybe I don't get them because they are free for EXP.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Correct, as an EXP you don't get them for free, but, from what I understand, you don't much need them, as you can upgrade any domestic flight on a space available basis.

Us lowly Plats still need to use our "stickers", and AA will give them to us in a block of 4 for every 10,000 miles flown during the membership year. I am not sure that I understand WHY they need to reset the clock on these, but I guess they feel like they are saving some money or some such. Oh well....

Stevekoe
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:36 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by mjski

Also, what success have people had in the past pleading for at least partial upgrade credits after the Feb 28 reset?

Thanks!
100%, when that was applicable.....I would ask for all 4 since you are so close, but expect/be happy with 3.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Thank you for asking this question, mjski. I had been meaning to ask the same thing, as I've found the Google method of searching to be of absolutely zero value.

I'll be 82 miles short on 2/28. Guess I'll just have to call CS after my 2/28 flight posts to see what they tell me. Thanks, too, to YourAAdvantageVoice for posting the direct phone number!

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Google Search

I have had moderately good success getting Google Search to work. I particularly like that Google lets me search for two letter and three letter combinations, where FT search never will.

I have also resorted to a terribly tedious search technique. I KNEW a word in a thread title, so I went to the forum, typed Control F in my browser, searched for the word, and then kept stepping thru pages of the forum until I finally got my hit... on the 13th page!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
I started a thread on this topic a year ago, to see what kind of success people were having. I think (?) everyone who posted (many) got at least some upgrades, but the amounts varied wildly, from people who got 4 w/ only about 8k miles, to people who got two w/ nearly 10k. I am wondering whether they will be even stingier than usual this year, since they are nickel and diming just about everything else...Would surely save more money than eliminating pillows, for example...
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:29 am

Thanks, YourAAdvantageVoice.

I managed to get 2 credits for 5,138 in Miles towards upgrades.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Moving on from that, I am awaiting a credit for BA "W" fare of 7000 miles which will take me over the next 10K. What happens if this posts AFTER 2/28 - will it count towards next year or will I automatically get an extra 4 stickers "backdated" ?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:33 pm

related question

on feb 27th i will have about 54000 miles towards the upgrades, but on the 28th i have an itin of las-lax-hkg. if the flight leaves on the night of the 28th, do the miles count towards last year or what? (i ask because i don't land in hkg due to time diff. until the 2nd of mar)
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:39 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Originally Posted by lastplace
if the flight leaves on the night of the 28th, do the miles count towards last year or what? (i ask because i don't land in hkg due to time diff. until the 2nd of mar)
Flight should be credited for Feb. 28th.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by holmedown
Moving on from that, I am awaiting a credit for BA "W" fare of 7000 miles which will take me over the next 10K. What happens if this posts AFTER 2/28 - will it count towards next year or will I automatically get an extra 4 stickers "backdated" ?
Similar answer to the related question above. Reagrdless of when the miles finally show up, they will be credited to the day of travel, and count accordingly. Another example is flying in late Dec. for elite qualification. Even though the miles show up in Jan, they count for the previous year, and status is obtained. No worries .

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.