Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt or London for long weekend on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Frankfurt or London for long weekend on AA?

Hi,

I'm in Chicago and am trying to decide between LHR and FRA for a long weekend this month to qualify for the double miles promotion and earn some more upgrades. I have been to London a couple times but have never been to Frankfurt. The price seems to be about the same for each and it looks like I would earn almost 3000 more miles for FRA. For what it's worth, ORD-LHR is 777 while ORD-FRA is 767. I know Frankfurt is an international hub but will not being able to speak German potentially make things a little difficult? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Aaron
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I do weekend trips to FRA at least once a year as I have two good friends living there. I highly reccomend FRA. Not speakign German will not be a huge problem and, as you note, is is more miles.

Will you upgrading? If so, definately go for FRA.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:21 am
dmc

Programs: Executive Platinum; *every* hotel plan
The choice between the cities should be based on whichever hold more interest for you. I was through Germany many years ago and not knowing the language made things harder, but not so hard as to spoil the fun.

London, well, there will mostly be no language issues....but English can sometimes be very different than American.

On the subject of the FRA flight, though....I like the 777 a lot more than the 767 (which I accept is a personal thing).

The flight from DFW to FRA is 777 as opposed to the 767 from ORD. You'd get a couple thousand MORE miles if you went through DFW and get (IMO) a better plane. The fare might not be all that different....
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point, dmc. If you can route through DFW, it will be more miles, but be advised that the DFW-FRA flight leaves alot earlier in the day than the ORD flight and may require you to miss all of work on Friday. Also, if you are upgrading, J class on the 777 is nowhere near as nice as that on the 767.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I see a NetsAAver offer...$329? and DBL05 counts for these too, no? If you buy today, I think... FRA is also likely to be cheaper than LON. Though the Euro is not at a bargain rate, the pound Sterling is reaching nosebleed levels. And you can find lodging near town, like in Mainz, or even the Scandic Offenbach, for reasonable prices. Much more reasonable than LON.

I'd do what has been suggested - check ORD - DFW - FRA for the 777 if you want to crank up the miles (I prefer the 763 myself.) And if you enjoy aviation, I think FRA has a cabin section of an A380 you can check out, so you can see how it will, er, stack up.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
The language shouldn't be a huge problem. I worked for a company that had a plant in Germany and one in England. I could usually communicate better with the Germans.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies. The thought of upgrading hadn't occurred to me, though I do have the miles (about 100,000 currently). Someone told me if I book a netsaver that I can't upgrade with miles. Is this true? Also, I'll look into connecting through Dallas for the 777 possibilities. PresRDC, what makes J better on a 767 (I'm not familiar with with that class on either plane). Thanks again.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveler60657
Thanks for the helpful replies. The thought of upgrading hadn't occurred to me, though I do have the miles (about 100,000 currently). Someone told me if I book a netsaver that I can't upgrade with miles. Is this true? Also, I'll look into connecting through Dallas for the 777 possibilities. PresRDC, what makes J better on a 767 (I'm not familiar with with that class on either plane). Thanks again.
You cna upgrade a Netsaver with miles, but it will cost you $250 in fees each way plus the 50,000 miles.

The 767 Business Class product is better for several reasons. First, the seats have more recline. Not flat, but much better than the 777. Second, you get a DVD player with many more choices that can be started and stopped as you wish. Much nicer than the limited cycled programming on the 777. Third, the meal is better with enhanhced appetizer, salad and dessert courses as well as main courses that are not pre-plated. Finally, the intangibles, mainly that on the 767, Business Class is the premium cabin and you are the premium passenger. Does this have concrete implications? No, but it does, IMO, make the experience better.

The only thing the 777 has going for it are slightly (as in less than 2 inches) wider seats and a faster cruising speed (and thus shorter flying times).
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:17 pm

If I were you I would fly to Frankfurt and spend the weekend in Heidelberg - about 1 hour away from the airport by train or Lufthansa bus. Lovely city you can "do" in 2-3 days. Did this trip on President's weekend last year and - it was one of the best trips I ever had!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
For one heck of a good time with the most humorus people on earth, it has toi be London. Non-stop activity, theatre, and and great sights easily accesible via bus or the underground. Food is better in Germany, but for a weekend you just can't beat London.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
London.

Don't get me wrong, I like Germany, but unless its closer to May, London weather is more agreeable.

lala
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Only problem is that you've never been to FRA and you have limited time there - most of your free time will be on Sunday. Keep in mind that nearly everything is closed on Sunday - even many restaurants. In LHR, you have more selection on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.