Gold to Platinum is it worth it?

Old Dec 28, 04, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Gold to Platinum is it worth it?

hello,

first time on this board so here goes

I am currently an AA Gold member and have 57 segments for 2004.

My question is...

Is it worth it to fly 3 segments before the end of the year to obtain the Platinum status with AA advantage?

I found 3 segments

Palm Beach > Boston
Boston > New York
New York > PBI

total cost $770

Should I do it? Will the holiday traffic make it impossible?

Thanks for any input and comments.

Have a happy New Year,

Joel
Old Dec 28, 04, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
It depends on how much you will fly for next year, and what you want to get out of platinum. For me, the 100% milage bonus and 72 hour upgrade window make it worth it (I tend to request upgrade for almost all flights).

What is your YTD milage? Would it be easier to do a MIA to somewhere in Europe ~$500 to hit your numbers? PBI to Boston is a long way just to make a segment.
Old Dec 28, 04, 8:35 pm

welcome to FT...

You should fly... all your miles double at plt etc etc
Old Dec 28, 04, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
YTD mileage is about 400k

will do about 80k miles next year or more

don't want to do europe cause i don't want to be in a plane that long when i don't really need to even be there

the PBI Boston NY PBI is from about 7am to 6pm, and a 20 min ride from PBI to house, time in air is about 7 hours

can't find any other segments shorter as AA only hits ATL from MIA and a couple others like St. Louis
Old Dec 28, 04, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by tidjo
YTD mileage is about 400k

will do about 80k miles next year or more

don't want to do europe cause i don't want to be in a plane that long when i don't really need to even be there

the PBI Boston NY PBI is from about 7am to 6pm, and a 20 min ride from PBI to house, time in air is about 7 hours

can't find any other segments shorter as AA only hits ATL from MIA and a couple others like St. Louis
I am sure you meant to write YTD @40,000.

Yes I think you shoudl try for PLT

But I would avoid the East coast routing, having to go thru both BOS and JFk is asking for trouble.

Instead I would consider something different, maybe drive to MCo and fly MCO-MIA-DFW for your first 2 segments and then DFW-MCO for your 3rd one.
@$843.00 12/29/04
A lot more flight options if there are delays. Bst get the 2 segments behiond you and then you have an array of flights DFW- MCO
Just an idea, but I am not suer how long the drive is.

You could also try flights ex FLL or MIA
Old Dec 28, 04, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
You can do a lot better than $770!!

For $382.58 on Expedia on 12/30 for flights
FLL-NAS AA 4956, 7:45am-8:57am
NAS-MCO AA 4972, 10:25am-12:05pm
MCO-MIA AA 765, 8:23pm-9:20pm

At worst, figure $50 to rent a car to tool around MCO for 6 hours before heading back to the airport, and another $50 to rent a car to go one way to FLL to pick up your car, and you're still $300 better than the original itinerary.
Old Dec 28, 04, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For $262 you can do 4 segments (PBI-DFW-ORD; ORD-DFW-PBI);
Put in PBI-ORD and search by fare for Dec 30;

It's a long day (8am to 11:20pm); perhaps you can go on standby for earlier flights.
Old Dec 29, 04, 2:18 am

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GLD, CO GLD, Hilton Diamond
Unless you have or plan on buying upgrades, I don't really see the need. I've been Gold and PLT on AA for a few years and only once got an upgrade that I didn't already have to buy/earn. My brother flies CO and NW and gets upgraded about 99% of the time at no charge.
Old Dec 29, 04, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
If you'll fly 80K next year, one tangible benefit is 37,500 more bonus miles: the difference between 25 percent bonus for Gold and 100 percent for PLT for the 50K until you'd be PLT anyhow. How much are those worth to you?

If you're not an AC member, figure $50 per overseas trip as the rough value of AC access. If you are, or won't fly overseas, this doesn't matter.

Other things, like shorter waits on the phone and an earlier shot at upgrades, are gravy. If it's close, let them push you over.

And I agree that there ought to be cheaper ways to do it, especially if you can drive from Palm Beach to FLL or MIA. One good idea has already been posted. At ElmhurstNick's fare, it should be a no-brainer.
Old Dec 29, 04, 8:43 am

If you are planning to fly internationally at all in 2005 then Platinum gives you One World lounge access on the day of the flights which is quite nice. You also get to use AA First Class check-in desks instead of business class where available.
Old Dec 29, 04, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
If you're not an AC member, figure $50 per overseas trip as the rough value of AC access. If you are, or won't fly overseas, this doesn't matter.
I think the AC member is a little cheaper as Platinum than Gold. I want to say $25 cheaper but I can't remember.
Old Dec 30, 04, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, so what did the OP decide to do??
Old Dec 30, 04, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I think the AC member is a little cheaper as Platinum than Gold. I want to say $25 cheaper but I can't remember.
Thanks for mentioning this. If you would join the AC anyhow, this is definitely a tangible benefit.

It's actually $50 cheaper, $350 vs. $400 for initial membership. The add-on for a spouse (or spouse equivalent/domestic partner, with acceptable proof) drops from $250 to $200. Subtract $50 from any total if it's a renewal.

You also save if you use miles: 5,000 fewer for individual membership, 15,000 fewer for member and spouse. However, buying AC membership is not a cost-effective use of miles. Their value for this purpose is only about 2/3 of a cent per mile.

Of course, Gold membership is cheaper than "ordinary person," and EXP is less than PLT.
Old Dec 30, 04, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My AC membership expires every May. Back in the last week of Feb 03 when I was about to drop from EXP to Platinum, the lady in the ORD AC offered to give me a two-year early renewal at the EXP price, as opposed to the price it would be when it was up for renewal. I paid $500/2 years, so I saved $100.
Old Dec 30, 04, 8:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I think this was referring to the free lounge access Platinum members get as a OneWorld benefit on overseas flights, not to the Platinum discount for AC membership.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: