FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   questions on whether to go for lifetime PLAT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/373661-questions-whether-go-lifetime-plat.html)

knobs5 Nov 22, 2004 7:13 am

questions on whether to go for lifetime PLAT

Anyone have an idea of plans for AA to drop lifetime plat status (for those yet to qualify)? Does this still exist, i.e. getting to 2 M miles gets you lifetime PLAT? I know folks in the past got this, with a letter of confirmation.

I'm at 1.86 M miles. Assuming I can add miles using any type of bonuses (incl non-flying), I can try to hit 2.0 M. But I'm trying to understand (a) if it's worth going for since I don't know if AA even offers it anymore, given all their changes I can't keep up with, and (b) how fast should I try?

I would like the lock-in of double-miles and not have to worry about getting to PLAT each year. Advice anyone? Thx!

Spiff Nov 22, 2004 7:22 am

The unofficial awarding of Lifetime Platinum for 2MM is alive and well. You also will receive 4 VIPs for this achievement.

I'd go for it if I were you. I certainly am shooting for it and I'm a bit further away than you are.

Efrem Nov 22, 2004 7:37 am

Got it, with new tags and the four VPs, about eight months ago. Others have reported getting it more recently.

JDiver Nov 22, 2004 9:43 am

You are close enough, knobs5, to make this a very worthwhile gamble (e.g. are we talking about YOUR life, or AA's?) Of course, AA can stop the hidden promo anytime, as it is undocumented. But you are within easy pitching distance... "lifetime" Platinum status, 4 eVIPs, two new tags with a 2M logo, with miles from any source - a great deal! ^

(Since bag tags are harder to get than ever, you could say they're "priceless.") :rolleyes:

justageek Nov 22, 2004 9:55 am

The rumor is that some time in 2005, AA is going to stop counting non-BIS miles towards lifetime gold/plat. But there are no rumors that the lifetime gold/plat programs will be otherwise changed (much less discontinued).

So with respect to your question (b), depending on how much stock you put in the rumor, you might want to expedite your non-BIS mileage accumulation over the next couple of months. And since AA could drop the program at any time, it seems that "the sooner [you reach 2MM] the better" holds true regardless.

I'd certainly go for it if I were that close!

fletch050 Nov 22, 2004 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Got it, with new tags and the four VPs, about eight months ago. Others have reported getting it more recently.

I received my 2MM package in the mail Friday 11/19 :)

Paul3456 Nov 22, 2004 5:28 pm

I'm currently at 1.88MM and am doing a sprint run to get to the 2MM mark. This includes 4 trips ORD-DFW-LGW-DFW-ORD in Jan and early Feb. I am afraid that only actual miles will count in the near future and that could put me two or more years away.

I've been working on 2MM for years and don't want to risk not getting to that level before any possible changes. I am going to wait until after 3/1/05 to pass the 2MM mark however, because I want my four VIPs to expire one year later (Feb '07).

I would certainly go for it if you are that close. The double miles and higher priority for upgrades makes it worth it.

jtrader Nov 22, 2004 5:38 pm

HMM, I'm at 1.75mm now. Almost all of mine are air travel related but include platinum bonuses, class of service bonuses, double mileage promotions, partner miles, etc. Any ideas about how restrictive the new conditions might be?

I've got a trip to Asia next month. Might have to figure out a way to do the return on One World instead of *A rtw...

srk123 Nov 22, 2004 6:23 pm

I hit 2MM three months ago and my status immediately showed PLT on the web site and I got my congrats in the mail a few weeks later. The letter from an AA manager promised me PLT for the life of the "Platinum program" along with 4 e-VIP upgrades (which is worth 100,000 miles considering I will use them for two RT upgrades to Europe, so it's like a 5% bonus on my 2MM accumulated miles). Best of all, I got two nifty baggage tags saying AA Platninum, so I don't have to slum it any more with my Gold baggage tags. As I don't fly 50,000 miles a year, this permanent platinum status is AA's method of keeping me from jumping ship to the cheap guys.

fredmartens Nov 22, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm at 1.6mm and have every intention of hitting 2MM in the next 18 months. There's something about never going below platinum again that really appeals to me.

MDSD Nov 22, 2004 7:27 pm

Like Fredmartens, I'm at 1.6 MM and was working hard to get to the magic 2MM.
I'm not sure now that AA will be in my future with all that is happening and rumored to be happening.
Sure, it would be great to have the benefits for life, but since most of my travel is international, I'm just going to watch and see what other intl. carriers have to offer in the next year or so. I've got a lot of AA miles to burn, and a ton of Starwood Amex miles that used to go to AA but are staying put. And I was one of AA's most loyal flyers for a lot of years.

ja_user Nov 22, 2004 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
The rumor is that some time in 2005, AA is going to stop counting non-BIS miles towards lifetime gold/plat. But there are no rumors that the lifetime gold/plat programs will be otherwise changed (much less discontinued).

So with respect to your question (b), depending on how much stock you put in the rumor, you might want to expedite your non-BIS mileage accumulation over the next couple of months. And since AA could drop the program at any time, it seems that "the sooner [you reach 2MM] the better" holds true regardless.

I'd certainly go for it if I were that close!

Are you saying that Kelloggs will no longer count for miles? That will completely change my desire to fly their airline.... (I use those miles to get upgrades only)

JDiver Nov 22, 2004 8:46 pm

No, what is being said is that a rumour indicates AA will no longer allow non-"Butt-In-Seat" miles t count for lifetime status, much as BIS miles are the only ones (other than EQP) to qualify for annual status.

Though several folks have mentioned the scarcity of new Kellogg's coupons with distant expiry dates. That's an enitrely different issue, but maybe Kellogg's and American are diminishing / discontinuing their longtime relationship? Now, that's a cereal, er, serious issue... :snap, crackle & pop:

(Or as I learned as a child, "pim, pum & pam.") :D

Originally Posted by ja_user
Are you saying that Kelloggs will no longer count for miles? That will completely change my desire to fly their airline.... (I use those miles to get upgrades only)

ja_user Nov 22, 2004 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
No, what is being said is that a rumour indicates AA will no longer allow non-"Butt-In-Seat" miles t count for lifetime status, much as BIS miles are the only ones (other than EQP) to qualify for annual status.

Though several folks have mentioned the scarcity of new Kellogg's coupons with distant expiry dates. That's an enitrely different issue, but maybe Kellogg's and American are diminishing / discontinuing their longtime relationship? Now, that's a cereal, er, serious issue... :snap, crackle & pop:

(Or as I learned as a child, "pim, pum & pam.") :D

When I said Kelloggs, I meant it as an example. I just forgot to type the word "lifetime" before my word miles.... To much beer I guess... Regardless. I will never expect to get the MM status without programs like Kelloggs, Eggo, Etc. And Quite frankly, they probably make more money off of these at 1-2 cents/mile than my actual flights, as they don't actually have to provide a service. Since I do not redeam them for free tickets, only upgrades when seats are available.

JDiver Nov 22, 2004 9:34 pm

Well, just keep your fingers crossed, as it is just a rumour still. Unfortunately, since earning lifetime status with any kind of miles is an undocumented benefit (not matched by any other airline AFAIK,) it could disappear without notice.