Upgrade policy question!

Old Nov 21, 04, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Upgrade policy question!

I am a platinum member.

I booked a trip to LAX in L class (Discount, not in the Deep Discount bucket) on a trip for Dec 8th returning on Dec 10th.

What are the odds that I will be given an upgrade? I checked biz on Orbitz and most biz seats are empty.

I also decided to apply 9 upgrade segments. Will this work?

Can they upgrade me to biz and NOT apply the 9 upgrade segments?

When do I find out if I received an upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 04, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Unless you buy full fare they will , and you'll have to, use the upgrades. You did not say from where you are flying so 9 500 mile upgrades presumably is enough - is the total under 4,500 miles one way - it must be. The U/G's are one way so for a round trip of equal length you would not use an odd number of upgrades - it isn't under 4,500 miles round trip it is under 2,000 or 2,500 miles one-way in which case you will use 8 or 10 , not 9.

You find out up to 72 hours before the flight - if it is full it may be as little as an hour or two.
Old Nov 21, 04, 11:15 am

Reference to "biz" and the need for nine stickers (one-way?) would lead me to believe that this is an non-upgradeable international trip. But feel free to tell me otherwise.
Old Nov 21, 04, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Here it is!

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Reference to "biz" and the need for nine stickers (one-way?) would lead me to believe that this is an non-upgradeable international trip. But feel free to tell me otherwise.
It is a "L" ticket. CMH to ORD, ORD to LAX. LAX to DFW, DFW to CMH. Simple domestic roundtrip.

City Pair Fare Basis
CMH to ORD LR26D
ORD to LAX LR26D
LAX to DFW LR26D
DFW to CMH LR26D

So, I can only get bumped if it is a full fare ticket?
Old Nov 21, 04, 11:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
The upgrade stickers

Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
It is a "L" ticket. CMH to ORD, ORD to LAX. LAX to DFW, DFW to CMH. Simple domestic roundtrip.

City Pair Fare Basis
CMH to ORD LR26D
ORD to LAX LR26D
LAX to DFW LR26D
DFW to CMH LR26D

So, I can only get bumped if it is a full fare ticket?
Some asked why I needed 9 upgrade points or stickers.

Flight Number 500-mile Upgrades Required per Person Request Upgrade?
4320 CMH ORD N/A N/A
1247 ORD LAX 4 Requested
2446 LAX DFW 3 Requested
598 DFW CMH 2 Requested

CMH to ORD is the EMB145 with, unfortunately, no first class.
Old Nov 21, 04, 1:38 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Originally Posted by DrBeeper
Some asked why I needed 9 upgrade points or stickers.

Flight Number 500-mile Upgrades Required per Person Request Upgrade?
4320 CMH ORD N/A N/A
1247 ORD LAX 4 Requested
2446 LAX DFW 3 Requested
598 DFW CMH 2 Requested

CMH to ORD is the EMB145 with, unfortunately, no first class.
Actually, Marcus Aurelius was asked why he needed 9 upgrade stickers. Are you two one in the same?
Old Nov 21, 04, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stevekoe
Actually, Marcus Aurelius was asked why he needed 9 upgrade stickers. Are you two one in the same?
Hahaha. That's hilarious!
Old Nov 21, 04, 3:25 pm

Brilliant.
Old Nov 21, 04, 3:30 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Talking

BUSTED!
Old Nov 21, 04, 11:41 pm

Good One!

PEACE!
Old Nov 22, 04, 7:10 am

Thumbs up But what is the answer?

Originally Posted by PapiTheWriter
Good One!

PEACE!
OK, some person has two identities. Make him/her sit on a transon with Ron Artest in coach! The window seat, of course.

The answer is that the priority of upgrades is listed on www.aa.com. Simply stated, vacant seats are allocated in order of priority (EXP, PLAT, GOLD, ADV) regardless of fare class UNLESS the ticket is full fare. Full fare tickets get upgrades in front of lower fare tickets.

AA has an interesting pricing policy with regard to upgrades. An economy ticket with restrictions for that type of flight is about $500 - $600. The upgrades (nine of them according to his/her schedule) costs $175 (9 x $25). This brings the ticket cost to $675 to $775. You can buy a restricted business class ticket for the same price AND get a confirmed seat rather than wait until 3 days before the flight.

Of course, there may be a reason that someone has to book coach, such as his/her firm will not permit the purchase of a business class ticket. My firm will not permit domestic business class tickets.

Why doesn't AA provide some innovation and automatically make coach seats with upgrades to be treated the same as restricted business? Not from the cheapest fare, but from the more expensive tickets.
Old Nov 22, 04, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
...What are the odds that I will be given an upgrade? I checked biz on Orbitz and most biz seats are empty...
To correct a possible misconception that (unless I missed it) hasn't been addressed yet: operational upgrades have nothing to do with how empty business class is. They have to do with how full economy class is. People are moved forward only to relieve overbooking in back, never just because there's room for them in front.

If the back of the bus is oversold, you should be at or near the top of the op-up list because, if there's still space in front, all EXPs will by definition have already been upgraded.

Search this Thread