Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Excellent service by AA; emergency family trips

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
Excellent service by AA; emergency family trips

I always have mixed feelings when dealing with AA lately. Having amassed millions of lifetime miles, I have been fairly loyal to them and as an EXP with flt activity way over qualifying needs I am sure they see me as a good customer. However, a lot of times, when I try to book last minute fares AA has such ridiculous fares. They solve my specific problems with individual actions but I prefer if the fare structure was simplified and flexible service offered across the board.

Had a recent family medical emergency. I needed to book tickets for 4 within an hour on a 5000+ mile round trip journey (This was for SFO-YYZ). AA.com came up with fares that were over US$1500 RT each even when there were quite a few flts with open seats. I tried SFO-NYC on AA and NYC-YYZ on multiple LCCs (Westjet, Jetsgo, etc.) and could bring the fares down to $500 RT. This is a savings of $4000 for the family trip. I had to come up with the routing - AA.com did not.

The weird aspect of it was that AA even upgraded me at one-third the fare while the $1500 RT (even when routed via NYC) didn't buy me much. Talk about a crying need for fare simplification (especially with Westjet flying to more and more US destinations now).

Anyway, I called EXP desk and just informed them of the situation and they jumped into action and called tariffs and got me discounted fares, waived restrictions, etc. They also informed me that there was a medical fare available for travel within 1 week to visit any family member at a hospital and that those fares provide a lot of flexibility (no change fee, high availability, etc.).

I and my family got upgraded on all the flts at such short notice and AA staff were extremely helpful. On my return leg, I was even greeted by AA premier services agent in ORD who was waiting at the gate to greet me (she had not read the PNR details, did not know about my emergency travel but had just come to wish me as she saw an EXP with a lot of lifetime miles on the passenger list).

I also was able to change some Thankgiving travel that was booked earlier to a Mexico resort to go to YYZ instead with minimal fee with help from AA agents.

I just hope they can translare more of this service to the wider travelling public. It is great when you get a special fare by calling EXP desk, but another if it was an option for everyone (WestJet, Jetblue, etc. were so easy to change - Westjet even gave credit upto 2 hrs after the flt took off).
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:38 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
That is the kind of service that I expect and I am glad that they were able to help you. I hope everything is ok with your family member.

Last edited by jsm; Nov 20, 2004 at 8:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I hope you'll take a moment and write AA, and let them know about the exceptional service you've received. Nice to see they were able to help you and your family out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.