Community
Wiki Posts
Search

headphones

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

headphones

can someone suggest a cheaper alternative to the $300 Bose Quiet Comfort2 noise cancelling headphones?

something in the $100-$150 range
looking for noise cancel, and foldable features

thanks! ^
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pdf1k
can someone suggest a cheaper alternative to the $300 Bose Quiet Comfort2 noise cancelling headphones?

thanks! ^
I use Sony's MDR-NC20, much less than your price range, one AAA battery good for 30 hours or so, over the ear, folding, and as good as the original Bose.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The Sennheiser PXC 250 headphones sound like a perfect fit for you. Check out this thread for more information. There are many other threads in Travel Buzz! and Travel Technology discussing the many noise canceling headphone options.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cAAl
The Sennheiser PXC 250 headphones sound like a perfect fit for you. Check out this thread for more information. There are many other threads in Travel Buzz! and Travel Technology discussing the many noise canceling headphone options.

The PXC250 is really good and portable I got mine new $80 on Ebay. I would like to try the BOSE but concerned with travel size
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA (LFTM PLT), BA, US
headphones

I followed the advice of David Rowell (aka The Travel Insider) and bought the Plane Quiet headphones about a year ago. The price is right (compared with the Bose), although they do seem to lack some of the screening of the Bose that I have used (courtesy of AA Biz Class). However, they have been a real boon to some long haul flights. Check out David's review at http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0620.htm.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bobthepome
I followed the advice of David Rowell (aka The Travel Insider) and bought the Plane Quiet headphones about a year ago. The price is right (compared with the Bose), although they do seem to lack some of the screening of the Bose that I have used (courtesy of AA Biz Class). However, they have been a real boon to some long haul flights. Check out David's review at http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0620.htm.
I also purchased the Plane Quiets based on Mr. Rowell's review and was fairly unimpressed with the noise canceling abilities of the headphones, althought the customer service from the manufacturer was excellent. I have noticed more recent complaints on The Travel Insider's forum about the recent redesign of the Plane Quiets which, according to some, has been for the worse. Having tried both the Sennheiser PXC 250s and the Plane Quiets, I can confidently say that the Sennheisers are substantially better both in terms of noise canceling as well as portability.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The new Boses have a smaller, lower profile carry case, and the battery lasts longer. Customer service has been good to me, sending new (with new one year warranty) set to me after mine broke when the warranty had expired. The difference for me is I've had some reconstructive surgery on one ear and the Bose cover the ears quite nicely without resting on them - no pain, even on multi-leg international trips.

The Plane Quiets, as others have stated, are not the ones reviewed on year ago. That being said, you can score a pair of the old ones on eBay for about $80 or so, while they are being remaindered (by the Plane Quiet company, though they sheepdip their company affiliation on eBay. Interesting!)

The Sennheisers get good reviews everywhere.

These are all headests with a degree of active noise reduction, as opposed to "passive" - meaning how well they insulate your ear from noise.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AA Gold
The Bose are great, but they are too tight for my head. After an hour, I have to take them off because they hurt.

Are these other brands more adjustable?

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

^
Sharper Image Noise-Cancellation Headphones #FJ450 is an acceptable unit for the price: $50. With some coupons, you can get it for $30. It takes one AAA battery. The battery lasts for at least 18 hours. This is the best price performance unit short of the Bose headphones. Flew across the Atlantic and back - unit makes a big difference.

S
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
Disappointed in Plane Quiets

I also purchased the Plane Quiets based on Mr. Rowell's review and was very disappointed with the noise canceling abilities of the headphones. I did a side by side comparison with the new Bose on an Atlantic flight. The Plane Quites were noticably inferior. In a quite environment they have an audiable hiss. Also, the plug is a single piece with 2 prongs on one side and 1 prong on the other. After only one flight the single prong broke off. The headphones were quickly replaced plus an extender cable to take the strain off the 1 plug. A poor fix for an obvious design flaw.

My advice is don't buy the current Plane Quiets.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum

thanks! ^
One alternative that I use is the Etymotic ER-6 Isolator earphones.
They are basically earbuds that also work like an earplug, blocking out outside noise, not cancelling it out. Shure also makes some. These were intended for professional musicians for on stage use.

The advantage is that they do not require batteries and that they are a lot more compact than the Bose headphones. I wear them all over: on the train, on the plane, while working out.

I was able to find the Etymonic earphones for $100 online, and I'm very happy with them.

Good luck.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:04 am

Programs: AA-PLT, MarriottSilver, HertzGold
Philips HN100 at bestbuy. Very similar to QCII in that they are over the ear and they fold to a smaller profile. They come with airline adapaters for the oldschool planes flown by non AA Airlines. I think they have about 75% of the noise cancelling ability of the Bose for about 25% of the cost (they run about $70)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=03&loc=01
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

I got a pair of Koss headphones, they folded up, are smaller than Bose, have active noise canceling and adapters for other airlines. Target $49.95.

They aren't quite as nice as the Bose, but - when they died a few months ago after two and a half years of being stuffed, beaten and abused - I didn't feel bad at all.

In fact, I'm looking for another pair now.

Nope - they aren't as good as the Bose. But - I thought they were nice.

I believe that with some stores it would be ok to buy a pair, and if you don't like them return them if you aren't satisfied.

So I'd recommend you try a couple of the cheaper brands and see if you like them.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
I bought and like the Shure E series earbuds. No battery (no buzzing sound). I tried Bose and had Sony noise cancelling earbuds. You can get it on ebay in the $130s.

http://www.shure.com/
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:10 pm

Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA AA Plat. 1.4MM, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red, fly fisher
Thumbs up Love My Etymotic ER-6

I love my Etymotic ER-6's. They cut out nearly all outside noise, are so tiny that you can lay on them and not feel them sticking into your ear. The are great with my IPod.

I have a set of the Bose and I find that I nearly always take the Etymotic ER-6's now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.