Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Entertainment in the Palm of Your Hand"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:09 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
The test routes

The test routes were as follows:
ORD-LAX-ORD
DFW-SEA-DFW
FLL-LAX-FLL
DFW-LGA-DFW
LGA-MIA-LGA

When it will actually come on line, and what the actual routes are, I'm sure you guys here at Flyer Talk will know before we do.

no visible ports are on the device (minus the headphones) so good luck in hacking!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
That was a scary thread title. I thought that they'd found a reason to remove blankets in-flight.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
How does the device authorize a credit card from 35,000 feet? Does it send out some sort of radio signal?

If it can't determine whether a card is valid while in flight, passengers can use cancelled or maxed-out cards to get their IFE for free on AA. (Not that I'm advocating this).
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I bring my own entertainment. Can I swipe my credit card and have a hot meal and an attentive FA instead?
That would likely exceed your credit limit.

I bring my ThinkPad, Juice and a bunch of DVDs.... works great.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
How does the device authorize a credit card from 35,000 feet? Does it send out some sort of radio signal?

If it can't determine whether a card is valid while in flight, passengers can use cancelled or maxed-out cards to get their IFE for free on AA. (Not that I'm advocating this).
The devices get carted off after every flight, then sent back to the Airbase company to get cleaned, uploaded with new information, and download the credit card info. At that point, the card will be charged, and receipts emailed to those that want receipts.

I'm sure most people who would like to use them, i.e. the business traveler, would have good credit and they wouldn't have to worry about cancelled or maxed-out cards.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
The devices get carted off after every flight, then sent back to the Airbase company to get cleaned, uploaded with new information, and download the credit card info. At that point, the card will be charged, and receipts emailed to those that want receipts.
Wow, that seems really cumbersome and costly. Does Airbase have facilities around the country? Do aircraft carry-around used DVD players until they arrive at a station where Airbase has a facility?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My thoughts exactly! But it is no cost...

Originally Posted by Spiff
Entertainment... Palm of my hand.

Don't go there, Spiff...
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
I'm glad they're making this available to F passengers at no additional charge. That way while I'm getting entertainment out of the palm of one hand, I can hold my warm nuts in the other.

Last edited by grouse; Jan 25, 2005 at 7:50 pm Reason: hot -> warm, thanks ja_user!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, well, there go the blankets in F too! Say "hi" to the FAM for me...

Originally Posted by grouse
I'm glad they're making this available to F passengers at no additional charge. That way while I'm getting entertainment out of the palm of one hand, I can hold my hot nuts in the other.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by grouse
I'm glad they're making this available to F passengers at no additional charge. That way while I'm getting entertainment out of the palm of one hand, I can hold my hot nuts in the other.
I believe they are warm nuts. But either way, please cover them with a blanket!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Wow, that seems really cumbersome and costly. Does Airbase have facilities around the country? Do aircraft carry-around used DVD players until they arrive at a station where Airbase has a facility?

Just like Rockwell Collins, Airbase is located at select airports. http://www.airbaseservices.com/ I'm sure there will be an Airbase representative at each flight to take the carts on/off planes. Just like Rockwell/Collins, they currently do that on each flight their IFE are on.

Like I said before, everything is in it's testing mode. I'm sure Airbase and American will get most of the kinks out before they actually are on most flights. Flight crews haven't even been trained on these devices yet.

So, just sit back and relax and enjoy the flight....regardless of how you get your entertainment from the palm of one hand, and hold your hot nuts in the other.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
I'm sure most people who would like to use them, i.e. the business traveler, would have good credit and they wouldn't have to worry about cancelled or maxed-out cards.
I may be completely out to lunch on these, but I don't see business travelers lining up to spend $10 to $12 on these. In fact, as gee-whiz as they sound, I don't see the revenue adding up to a hill of beans for AA. I just don't see it worth the bother. But, if AA can rent these to 10% of its pax each year ($100 million in revenue), and if that revenue covers the expenses, then more power to AA.

Perhaps someone at AA thinks that these devices may draw more high-yield pax to AA. If so, I think they are certifiable, but I'd probably be wrong.

After all, given the oft-repeated mantra that MRTC was a failure (it didn't attract enough high-yield pax to cover the estimated $90 million of foregone revenue), I can't see lots of high-yield customers flocking to AA for the chance to pay $10 to $12 for inflight entertainment.

Don't get me wrong - they sound really cool. Several newspapers, several movies, some tv, etc. Neat. But worth all the energy invested in these? I doubt it.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may have more to do with trying to stem the tide of people choosing JetBlue over AA. But then JetBlue has MRTC and a simple, hassle free approach to pricing...
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
It may have more to do with trying to stem the tide of people choosing JetBlue over AA. But then JetBlue has MRTC and a simple, hassle free approach to pricing...
I agree completely.

And even though jetBlue intended to charge $5 for its live TV, AFAIK, it debuted for free - B6 never charged $5 for it.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
5 cities would surely cover 98% of the fleet: DFW, ORD, MIA, JFK, LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.