Search

Advice for LAX-NRT in J or F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Advice for LAX-NRT in J or F

Will be travelling next month to NRT and was wondering if people had any advice on where to sit, what to eat, do, expect on the outbound or inbound flights. How long are the flying times? Would you recommend the Japanese or American meals? What kind of crowd is usually on this flight?

My gf is a bit nervous about such a long flight on a twin engine, even though I've tried explaining ETOPS to her.

Is there a FL in LAX? I'll try to photograph it if AA doesn't mess up my connection!

Thanks so much for your kind advice!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Nov 15, 2004 at 3:13 am
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
Will be travelling next month to NRT and was wondering if people had any advice on where to sit, what to eat, do, expect on the outbound or inbound flights. How long are the flying times? Would you recommend the Japanese or American meals? What kind of crowd is usually on this flight?

My gf is a bit nervous about such a long flight on a twin engine, even though I've tried explaining ETOPS to her.

Is there a FL in LAX? I'll try to photograph it if AA doesn't mess up my connection!

Thanks so much for your kind advice!
Come on Charles? 1/2 of the questions could be answered by checking www.aa.com.

Flight time, location of ACs and FLs

Seats? These are the SAME 777s that AA uses to Europe/SA, except F will most likely be Pacific config with 2/2/2 coffins. J seats are the exact same ones with one or 2 extra rows. EVERYTHING else is the same. What did you expect to be different on AA 777? Same IFE, same Bose headphones, same FAs, etc.......

Passengers? - what's the difference. On any given day it's a healthy mix of ....................

Can't help you with food, as I never flown that route, but ORD-NRT had pretty much the same grub that Europe flight have with the addition of Japanese dish. If you decide to go with Japanese dish, you may want to pre-order if possible. I do remember that they only loaded 2-3 dishes on my flight and they were gone after the first row ordered them.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OK, OK. How do I pre-order meals? Is this when I get on the plane or over the phone?

In terms of flying times, I was thinking actual flying times, not the padded ones on AA.com.

How is the service different from European flights?

Are these flights over catered? I was thinking to try the Japanese meal, but am worried if it's like squid or sea urchins can I get another meal?

What is the snack option on the flight? Do you get another full pre-landing meal or is it a pizza/chicken sticks like the Europe flights?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Just back from NRT-SJC in F. I am kind of disapointed. I feel I wasted the miles to move up to F from J. Was nice to have the extra room as J was full but service was lacking. Was given a hard time by NRT staff for asking to upgrade as when I first checked in was told not a problem when I went to AC to take care of the miles thing was treated very badly I felt and firt refused then after giving the name of the agent I spoke to on checking in was told to wait then told I could upgrade. Do you think this is worth a letter to AA?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Guide to compensation
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
CharlesMD , I would do a search for LAX-NRT. Your exact questions have been asked and answered many times over the last several weeks (and months). I think you'll get an eyeful. My advice is to fly JL, SQ, or CX instead, unless the miles are that crtical for you. While AA is my airline of choice domestically, I seriously doubt I will fly them again to NRT from LAX in F, even with the new configuration due next Spring.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
CharlesMD , I would do a search for LAX-NRT. Your exact questions have been asked and answered many times over the last several weeks (and months). I think you'll get an eyeful. My advice is to fly JL, SQ, or CX instead, unless the miles are that crtical for you. While AA is my airline of choice domestically, I seriously doubt I will fly them again to NRT from LAX in F, even with the new configuration due next Spring.
True on all counts, although if it's in J or F-- there's no reason he'd have to pick between good service and miles, CX or JL (AA codeshare.) Although I think the JL codeshare out of LAX is missing F or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.